Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Multigenerational Family Problems

Merci lives next door to her grandparents, Abuela and Lolo, and her aunt and younger twin cousins. Her father has a house painting company, and she and her older brother Roli go to a fancy private school on scholarship so that they have every opportunity. Merci finds it a bit difficult to deal with her well-t-o-do classmates, especially the snooty Edna, who is one reason that Merci is saving up her money for a fancy new bike. Merci has to be a Sunshine Buddy and is assigned to Michael, a new student from Minnesota, and isn't thrilled to have to show him around, especially since Edna "like likes" him and makes life difficult for Merci. Merci doesn't need help with that-- her Lolo is having trouble with his memory, and her aunt needs someone to watch the twins, so Merci is not allowed to try out for the school soccer team. There are a lot of school projects being assigned, and Merci sometimes has to work with Edna on them, with disastrous results. As her grandfather's memory worsens, her brother applies to colleges, and the family has to deal with a number of struggles, Merci needs to learn to grow up and help her family instead of being focused only on her own personal concerns.

Good Points
It's nice to see multigenerational families living near each other-- my own neighborhood has a lot of that. The grandparents are especially fun, and the Cuban culture and food vividly portrayed. Merci's struggles with classmates, projects, and assignments, as well as her changing relationship with her brother, are all very realistic. This reminds me a bit of The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z, but set in Florida. This joins the ranks of more recent novels concerning grandparents, which include Swartz's Smart Cookie, Gephart's In Your Shoes, Greenberg's The Battle of Junk Mountain and Reynold's As Brave As You.

This is a good transition by Medina, who has both picture books and young adult novels to her credit. There are a lot of topics being covered, which makes this book a bit on the long side, but her feel for middle grade emotions and reactions is on point.

Mental diminution in the elderly is a topic that young readers should have some knowledge of, since many of them will face problems with their grandparents before they are too much older. It always surprises me that families don't expect or discuss After my mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons a dozen years ago, we told the girls exactly what to expect. My mother is doing fairly well for 84, but none of us are surprised when she is confused. I guess it makes a better story the other way, since almost all books dealing with grandparents and dementia react with denial.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

91HIpyhaW9L.jpg
The third book in the New York Times bestselling series...

0.0 (0)
One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Clementine for Christmas

"Josie loves Christmas, especially making memories with her dog Clementine volunteering at the children's hospital. Oscar's parents are always fighting..."
Merci Suárez Changes Gears

"Merci lives next door to her grandparents, Abuela and Lolo, and her aunt and younger twin cousins. Her father has..."
What If It's Us

"I’ve read both Becky and Adam books and What If It’s Us is a combination of the very best of..."
So Done

"Bean and Tai are neighbors in a low-income housing project and have been friends for a very long time, but..."
Everything, Everything

""Everything, Everything" follows Madeline, who lives in a bubble- she has a rare disease called SCID, which means she is..."
Eleanor & Park

""Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian..."
Sea Prayer

"This fictional picture book, inspired by the tragic death of three-year-old Alan Kurdi's tragic death on a Turkish beach, follows..."
My Father's Words

"When Fiona and Finn's father, a psychologist, is killed in a car accident, the children and their mother (who is..."
The Steeplechase Secret (Free Rein)

"Zoe and her family have moved to Bright Field Stables from California. Her mother is from the small island in..."
Everlasting Nora

"Nora and her mother have been living in her father's family mausoleum after they lost their home, and her father,..."
No Fixed Address

"Felix Knuttsen and his single mother Astrid move around a bit in Vancouver because Astrid finds it hard to keep..."
Lucky Luna

"Fifth grader Luna loves her family, but she has too many female cousins who are always hanging around. Her primas..."
The Dollar Kids

"Lowen Grover and his family have a decent life in the city, but after his best friend is shot at..."
Here to Stay

"Bijan Majidi does okay in high school-- he has a good friend, Sean, is on the basketball team, and while..."
So Done

"Bean and Tai are neighbors in a low-income housing project and have been friends for a very long time, but..."
Just Under the Clouds

"Cora's mother has struggled to keep a roof over Cora and her sister Adare's head ever since the death of..."
Revenge of the Teacher's Pets (Brewster Triplets #4)

"Darby, Dawn, and Delaney are determined that seventh grade is going to be AWESOME. However, when they get their schedules,..."
The New Kid

"This book shows the struggle to fit in the middle school social scene and a reminder that true friendship is..."
The New Kid

"Alex's best friend and constant supporter, Luke, moves away and Alex has to face the school bully T.J. without him...."
From You to Me

"Amelia is tired of being "the girl with the dead sister", since it's been three years since her sister was..."