Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Be careful what you wish for

Giovanni lives in New York City with his mother, who is an opera singer. His father was a set designer, and the one thing "Van" has kept through all of their moves to different cities is the maquette his father had- a small stage with curtains. He finds objects out on the street and uses them to reinact scenes on the stage. His frequent moves, as well as the fact that he is hard of hearing, occasionally makes it difficult for him to make friends, so when he runs into Pebble in the park, he feels a connection to her. She's a bit odd, wearing a long coat in the warm weather, but he follows her and eventually finds out that she is part of a group of Collectors who gather wishes and keeps them safe in an underground facility. He also meets Mr. Falborg, who collects a number of different things, including Wish Eaters. He claims that Pebble's group is trying to starve and abuse the Wish Eaters, who are little, tiny and cute, and he gives Van a Wish Eater of his own to keep. Since he needs to feed it wishes, he wishes for a number of things in order to feed it, but wishes are unpredictable. For example, his mother is dating the father of Peter Grey, who doesn't like Van very much, so he wishes that the two parents won't be together, and his mother gets a job at La Scala in Italy. When he then wishes to stay in New York, something happens to his mother to prevent her from traveling. The Collectors are after Van, and when they finally corral him, he finds out more information about what is going on, and decides which side he needs to be on.

Good Points
The world building in this was particularly engaging, and Van is able to travel back and forth and meet with inhabitants of both worlds easily, which makes it fun. New York, especially the part of it that operates underneath the buildings and streets, is always a fertile area for fantasy titles (think Mebus' God of Manhattan, Collins' Gregor the Overlander, or Fiedler's Mouseheart), and the Collector's building, especially the scary vault, is definitely a very vivid setting.

The story with Peter adds a nice dimension, since children whose parents are dating each other probably are very ambivalent about each other. Van's hearing loss is well portrayed, and his struggles with understanding speech are explained in a way that will help younger readers understand what it might be like. Having an opera singer as a mother is not something many children have, so that was interesting as well.

Readers who enjoy books where the good and evil sides aren't particularly clear cut, like Colfer's Artemis Fowl series of Delaney's The Last Apprentice will enjoy Van' confusion over whether he should believe Mr. Falbourg's take on the Wish Eaters or Pebble's and the Collector's. I'm still a little torn myself, since Mr. Folbourg is introduced as a kindly, crinkly-eyed older gentleman but at the end manages to disappear, much to Van's dismay. This could be a stand alone title, but I can see the series continuing as well.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day
Kristy's mom is getting married, and Kristy is going to...

0.0 (0)
The Very Last Castle
A curious little girl watches the man who guards the...

0.0 (0)
Jack B. Ninja
Jack B. Ninja! Jack, be quick! Jack, jump over the...

0.0 (0)
Freak N Gorgeous
Everyone is ugly sometimes. ...

0.0 (0)
The Forest Queen
When sixteen-year-old Sylvie’s brother takes over management of their family’s...

0.0 (0)
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)
There's a storm coming! The other WellieWishers promise to help...

0.0 (0)
The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)
The Diamond and the Boy
Told in a unique dual-narrative format, The Diamond and the...

0.0 (0)
Little Penguin Stays Awake
A charming companion to Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups and...

0.0 (0)
Merry Christmas, Little One
Christmas comes but once a year - Time...

0.0 (0)
Hi-Five Animals
What's the best way to say hello to anyone you...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs
After defeating the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Superpigs...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes...

0.0 (0)
I, Sofia-Elisabete, Love Child of Colonel Fitzwilliam: A Perfect World in the Moon
In 1815, a 5-year-old girl searches for Utopia in a...

0.0 (0)
The Way I Used to Be
The main character Eden is raped by her brother's best...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day

"'The Baby-Sitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day' by Gale Galligan, based on the novel by Ann M. Martin, is an interesting..."
The Darkest Minds

""The Darkest Minds" is a YA dystopian that felt very similar to others out there- but the twist being a..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
The Darkest Legacy

""The Darkest Legacy" continues The Darkest Minds series after the resolutions of the trilogy. This time, we follow Suzume (Zu)...."
Exo
Exo

""Exo" is a really interesting YA sci-fi that follows a 17-year-old human a hundred years after Earth has been taken..."
Cross Fire

""Cross Fire" was a great sequel to Exo that wraps up all the major plotlines and possibilities. The zhree, an..."
Everything, Everything

""Everything, Everything" follows Madeline, who lives in a bubble- she has a rare disease called SCID, which means she is..."
Eleanor & Park

""Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian..."
Warcross

""Warcross" begins a fantastic new YA series from Marie Lu. Fans of the Legend trilogy will rejoice in this new,..."
Freak N Gorgeous

"'Freak N Gorgeous' by Sebastian J. Plata provides an in-depth and telling look into the world of two teenagers who..."
The Forest Queen

"THE FOREST QUEEN by Betsy Cornwell caught my eye at first glance. The cover is beautiful and promises a tale..."
Twice Dead

"Feedback I absolutely loved this story! This book was never boring and always kept me wanting more. The beginning..."
Turtles All the Way Down

"Great book - one of my favorites by John Green, for sure."
Wink Poppy Midnight

"Definitely worth the read! A fun book even though it has some creepier turns, and loved Tucholke's writing style!..."
All The Crooked Saints

"Loved this book from start to finish. Stiefvater was at her best with her prose here and the novel was..."
Carve The Mark

"A good read. A bit confusing in the beginning, but as with many fantasy novels, it works itself out...."
Genuine Fraud

"Interesting, quick read. You're held a bit at a distance because of the nature of this narrator, but it's worth..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
We Were Liars

"I loved this book!"
The Princesses of Iowa

"I really enjoyed this book!"