Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Stories within a Story

Alex describes himself as a kid who plays with "what ifs" while other kids are playing with dogs, and that feeling of not fitting in anywhere leads him to sneak out of his family's home one night so that he can burn his secrets. While making his way to the basement of his building, Alex is enticed into an enchanted apartment where he's then held captive by a witch. While trapped, Alex has to tell a story each night to keep the witch appeased. While there, Alex finds a friend in his fellow prisoner, Yasmin, and the two of them earn the trust of the witch’s familiar that is tasked to watch over them while the witch tends to her day-to-day business.

NIGHTBOOKS by J.A. White is spooky and frightening and has stories that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Harkening to One Thousand and One Nights and with tie-ins to other folk stories and fairy tales, NIGHTBOOKS is what I think of as "safe" horror: perfect for kids in middle grades who want to be scared by a book, but who also want to feel grounded and safe while reading the tales of terror that pull at them. All of the stories imbedded in NIGHTBOOKS are intriguing and scary (as is the main story), but none should push the reader too far into the nightmare zone. They aren't gruesome; they’re brief and full of suspense, and the key to their ability to frighten the reader is in hitting close to home in their settings and topics for the age group at which they're directed.

Alex and Yasmin are affable characters, and they’re well developed through the narrative, as is their friendship. Kids will be drawn to Alex’s feeling of otherness as he ponders his place in the world, and Yasmin has a relatable backstory as well. The writing is great, and the plot moves well. As the book catapulted toward the climax, I couldn’t flip through the pages fast enough.

I really enjoyed NIGHTBOOKS, and it is exactly the kind of book I would have loved to read in my younger years, too.

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

Good Points
Intriguing and scary short stories embedded in the main story
Great writing
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

After being scarred by an unimaginable lie, Erik commits...

0.0 (0)
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
"I'm here to take you to live with your...

0.0 (0)
safe_image.jpeg
Twins raised far from the darkness are the key...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A...

0.0 (0)
Kiss Collector
Seventeen-year-old Zae Monroe is over relationships. Between getting cheated...

0.0 (0)
The Disasters
Hotshot pilot Nax Hall has a history of making...

0.0 (0)
Dungeons & Dragons: To Catch a Thief: An Endless Quest Book
Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where...

0.0 (0)
Mend A Story of Divorce
Sophia, the fourteen-year-old author and protagonist, tells the heart-wrenching story...

0.0 (0)
Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle: An Endless Quest Book
Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you...

0.0 (0)
Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble: An Endless Quest Book
Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you...

0.0 (0)
Clink A Story of Cyberbullying
Click is the heroic story of a young girl who...

0.0 (0)
Stay Sweet
Summer in Sand Lake isn’t complete without a trip to...

0.0 (0)
On Blood Road (A Vietnam War Novel)
The last place on earth Taylor Sorenson wants to be...

0.0 (0)
Courageous
Aiden is the son of a fisherman on the south...

0.0 (0)
A Thousand Sisters: The Heroic Airwomen of the Soviet Union in World War II
In the early years of World War II, Josef Stalin...

0.0 (0)
The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler
Adolf Hitler’s Nazi party is gaining strength and becoming more...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle: An Endless Quest Book

"Consider this a sort of D&D primer for intro-level youth. Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after..."
Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble: An Endless Quest Book

"Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore. It also features a vast..."
Parasite Life

"Jane is stuck in a creepy old house with her invalid mother. She has no idea why her mother is..."
Hearts Unbroken

N/A
"There are a lot of entry-points to the storylines in Cynthia Leitich Smith's Hearts Unbroken. I recommend this book especially..."
With Malice

"I loved this book, it kept me thinking afterwards for days. "The truth is how you tell it," take that..."
IF I FIX YOU

"The book is more like a 4.5 but I am going to give it a 5 star read because the..."
Enchantée

"After the death of her parents to smallpox, Camille Durbonne struggles to get by with her younger sister Sofie. One..."
The Penderwicks at Last

"THE PENDERWICKS AT LAST is the last in the series of Jeanne Birdsall's books about the Penderwick family. In this..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

""Ever the Hunted" is an incredible YA fantasy with a touch of romance. The story begins with Britta, starving and..."
Bud, Not Buddy

"Bud not Buddy is awesome! im in year 9 and im reading it in school for an assignment. On the..."
The Star-Touched Queen

"I enjoyed this rich world. I felt like I was there seeing the lure with my own eyes. I loved..."
Elixir (Covenant Series #3.5)

"This was so refreshing, to see a little snippet into the almost perfect Aiden's head, we get to see how..."
Stone Cold Touch (Dark Elements #2)

"This installment picks up just a few weeks after Roth has sacrificed himself at the end of White Hot Kiss...."
The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles Book 2)

"*I was lucky enough for NetGalley and Harlequin Teen to approve me for this ARC in exchange for an honest..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

"Feedback I adored this book so much! There were so many parts of this book that I just loved...."
Ever the Brave (Clash of Kingdoms book 2)

"Feedback I was so excited to continue this series. There was so much that happened in book one which..."
Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel

""Dear Evan Hansen" is a sad but sweet YA contemporary that addresses anxiety and the power of a small lie...."
Welcome Home

"I have mixed feelings about anthologies. Anthologies are a great way to be introduced to new authors. However, in..."
HOW SHE DIED, HOW I LIVED

"What worked: Gripping tale that deals with survivor guilt after a horrific murder. This story is intense, but one I..."
The Tesla Legacy

"When Lucy discovers a hidden door in the Tesla Suite, she's surprised to discover an egg. Curiosity gets the better..."