Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Knock Knock

After his attempts to run for class president in Funny Kid for President, Max has decided that his identity is firmly tied to being the "funny kid". When his arch enemy, Abby Purcell, not only calls him "unfunny kid" but gets a laugh when his own joke did NOT, he is beside himself and feels that amends have to be made. He tries out for the Redhill Talent Quest, only to find that another participant, Tumbles the Clown, is attempting to be funny at the expense of Max. Tumbles heckles Max mercilessly and throws him off his game, but when Max tries to heckle Tumbles, he is admonished for it! Clearly, this isn't fair, and when Max's grandfather disappears from the local nursing home, Max uses this as an excuse to drop out. There is a note from kidnappers, which is highly suspect, but Officer Purcell is still brought in to help, and brings her daughter... ABBY! Max is not happy at all, and gets involved with the search, but also decides to continue to participate. Eventually, a secret emerges involving Tumbles and Max's grandfather. Can Max solve the mystery in time to amuse the audience at the Talent Quest?

Good Points
This notebook novel is a good mix of illustrations and text, and has plenty of throwaway jokes, such as a backstory of Max trying to make people laugh that includes an account of his birth, complete with his bare baby bum! This is far more amusing than Patterson's I, Funny, especially since it is very clear that Max's grandfather isn't in any real danger. I do like the depiction of "Cranky Pants"-- "Mom says he thinks Planet Earth is his house and everyone else popped in without asking"! (page 18)

It's interesting that Max's downfall is due in part to the fact that all of the students in his class really like their new, young teacher, Miss Sweet. They don't appreciate Max playing jokes on her, and since that is a huge source of his humor, it has a bad effect on his popularity. Also interesting is watching him freeze and be unable to come up with good jokes when him rhythm is thrown off. Losing one's "mojo" happens all too frequently, and it's important for young readers to see this happen to some of their favorite characters.

Like other notebook novels like Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School, How to Be a Supervillain, Remy Sneakers, and King of the Bench Funny Kid includes plenty of poop and fart jokes, visual gags, and silly situations that will make readers laugh out loud. Get a copy of this for long summer car trips along with Marty Pants and some Big Nate comic books to insure that instead of hearing "Are we there yet?" you'll be hearing bad jokes!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Story of B
The Story of B combines Daniel Quinn's provocative and visionary...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: Beauty and the Beast: A Modern Retelling
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Snow Queen: A Graphic Novel
Follow Gerda on an adventure to find her friend Kay,...

0.0 (0)
DARK TALES: THE CALL OF CTHULHU: A Graphic Novel
In this Dark Tale, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming... ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Graphic Novel
Eliminate the impossible, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be...

0.0 (0)
Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY
Adrienne Cahill cares about three things: getting into a great...

0.0 (0)
9 FROM NINE WORLDS
The Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard trilogy may...

0.0 (0)
#Murdertrending
@doctorfusionbebop: Some 17 y. o. chick named Dee Guerrera was...

0.0 (0)
Unstoppable Moses
Moses and his cousin Charlie were best friends, wisecracking pranksters,...

0.0 (0)
51HTvQF3B2L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Alien meets Alexandra Bracken’s The Darkest Minds in this thrilling...

0.0 (0)
Thief of Happy Endings
Sarah Dessen meets the Wild West in this tale of...

0.0 (0)
Between Before and After
“The carnage began with the roses. She hacked at their...

0.0 (0)
STANDING UP AGAINST HATE is the story of black women...

0.0 (0)
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)
Clock mechanic Danny Hart knows he’s being watched. But by...

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old cupid-in-training Kali is in an Olympus-sized mountain of trouble....

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt

"Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt offers lengthier chapter book reading, while still offering delightful illustrations more familiar to young readers..."
Timekeeper (Timekeeper #1)

"Feedback I thought this was an interesting concept. The clocks themselves really control the time. There are days where..."
Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc

"I really love novels of strong historical women. In this case, this novel is about Joan of Arc. What makes..."
Air Raid Search and Rescue (Soldier Dogs #1)

" Marcus and his family have moved to the United Kingdom for his father's job, and are unfortunately..."
Invictus

"Feedback While I enjoy sci-fi books I have only read a couple of time traveling books with this one..."
The Button War: A Tale of The Great War

"Twelve-year-old Patryk lives in a small Polish town in 1914. He hangs with his group of friends which includes Jurek...."
You May Now Kill the Bride

"In 1923, sisters Ruth-Ann and Rebecca have an uneasy relationship, especially after Rebecca hastily throws over her boyfriend Melvin for..."
The Elephant Thief

"Boy has lived a difficult life in the impoverished neighborhoods of Edinburgh, Scotland in the 1870s. With no parents, he..."
Fawkes

""Fawkes" is a YA historical fantasy that sounds so interesting! Unfortunately, I could not get into it. In this alternate..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Invictus

"“Invictus” is a fantastic YA sci-fi adventure. I whole-heartedly agree with Revis’s review which says that it’s Firefly as teenagers..."
The House of One Thousand Eyes

"Things are hard for Lena, and yet she is strong throughout this book. Picture this: It's the 1980s, there's an..."
Blood Water Paint

"In 1600s Rome, Artemisia Gentileschi has few choices in life: she could be a nun, she could be ruled by..."
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All

"“Fatal Throne” chronicles the six wives of England’s King Henry VIII. Each queen had a part narrating in first person..."
Odd & True

"WHAT I LOVED: Trudchen, a simultaneous dreamer and realist long disabled by a bout with polio as a..."
The Parker Inheritance

"Candice's grandmother was a city official in the small town of Lambert before she fell into disrepute. She thought there..."
Zombie Abbey

"It's been a long time since I had read a zombie novel and even more, one as entertaining as Zombie..."
The Girl in the Tower

"It’s become quite clear that I will read anything Katherine Arden writes. Her debut The Bear and the Nightingale was..."
The Prince and the Dressmaker

"In historical Paris, Prince Sebastian is supposed to be finding a bride. His parents are eager for him to get..."
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All

"This is a collection of short stories told from the point of view of the wives of King Henry VIII...."