Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Goodbye to Alcatraz

There are a lot of things going on for Moose now that summer is approaching. He desperately wants to be on the high school baseball team, even though freshman rarely are. Also, Natalie has her 17th birthday, and her growing pains are evident. Her mother still dresses her like a ten year old, and wants to get her hair cut in a much younger style, but Bea Trixle has other ideas and not only cuts her hair in a stylish fashion for a young lady, but gives her two dresses that make Natalie feel more grown up. This causes some problems, including her crush on one of Moose's teammates after he is very nice to her and even gives her a button. Natalie keeps talking about Passerini, and even tells people that they are getting married. Bea even believes her! Moose knows he needs to have something special to bring to the team so that they let him on, and the other boys ask for pictures of Moose with Al Capone, and that sort of thing, which is just not realistic. Natalie hears this talk and brings their father's gun to a practice. This gets Moose in big trouble, but he doesn't tell on his sister. Piper is also causing him a lot of problems, since the warden approaches Moose to help look after her and keep her out of trouble. When the prisoners go on strike, Moose helps out with some of the work. One of the inmates, Fastball, is set to be released soon, so doesn't go on strike. When Bea plays a trick on Natalie so that Moose's father will look bad and her husband will be promoted to warden instead of him, Fastball is very helpful in getting Natalie out of a tricky situation. Moose realizes that while Alcatraz is a good place for him to be, it is not a great place for Natalie, and he helps his parents work through the process of getting her placed where she can flourish.

Good Points
This wraps up the story of Moose's family very nicely, showcases some nice growth from all concerned (even the father and mother!), and offers a glimpse of a particular place and time that is at once unusual and yet universal. The struggles the family has with finding a good place for Natalie would have been more difficult in the 1930s, but are still not easy today, but it was good to see that she had an affinity for bookkeeping and was able to excel at it. Moose's every day struggles with friends, school and baseball are realistic as well.

Moose is steadfast in his loyalty to his friends and to his sister. It is interesting to see Natalie as she becomes a young woman, and alarming to see how she is mistreated by someone who knows her, even if this is an all too common occurrence. Moose is even loyal to Piper, who is still a challenging individual.

The information about the historic site of Alzatraz at the end of the book was very interesting, and gave a lot of good details about many aspect of life during this time at this location. Choldenko has done a lot of research throughout this series, and it's great that she shares it with her readers. I just wish I were close enough to go on a field trip to Alcatraz!

I'd love to see more books set during the 1930s, since that decade before World War II has many similarities to modern culture, but also so many differences. Readers who are fond of delving into this era with books such as Milton Meltzer's semiautobiograpical Tough Times, Richard Peck's A Long Way From Chicago novels, Curtis' The Mighty Miss Malone and Holm's Turtle in Paradise books will enjoy this vivid tale of life during this era surrounded by some of its most daring and infamous criminals.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Story of B
The Story of B combines Daniel Quinn's provocative and visionary...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: Beauty and the Beast: A Modern Retelling
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Snow Queen: A Graphic Novel
Follow Gerda on an adventure to find her friend Kay,...

0.0 (0)
DARK TALES: THE CALL OF CTHULHU: A Graphic Novel
In this Dark Tale, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming... ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Graphic Novel
Eliminate the impossible, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be...

0.0 (0)
Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY
Adrienne Cahill cares about three things: getting into a great...

0.0 (0)
9 FROM NINE WORLDS
The Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard trilogy may...

0.0 (0)
#Murdertrending
@doctorfusionbebop: Some 17 y. o. chick named Dee Guerrera was...

0.0 (0)
Unstoppable Moses
Moses and his cousin Charlie were best friends, wisecracking pranksters,...

0.0 (0)
51HTvQF3B2L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Alien meets Alexandra Bracken’s The Darkest Minds in this thrilling...

0.0 (0)
Thief of Happy Endings
Sarah Dessen meets the Wild West in this tale of...

0.0 (0)
Between Before and After
“The carnage began with the roses. She hacked at their...

0.0 (0)
STANDING UP AGAINST HATE is the story of black women...

0.0 (0)
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)
Clock mechanic Danny Hart knows he’s being watched. But by...

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old cupid-in-training Kali is in an Olympus-sized mountain of trouble....

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Ashes of Roses

"My opinion on the book is it was exciting all the way through the book. There was not a dull..."

N/A
"When Zachary Beaver Came To Town is a good book and has good characters. This story is about a kid..."

"Toby and Cal best friends. Nothing exciting never happens in Antler Texas, But this time the fattest boy in the..."
Stranger with My Face

"I am a big fan of Lois Duncan and I think this book is great and I will be looking..."
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

"his book really made me think about life and people. I enjoyed reading it very much. I just..."
The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart #1)

"I thought that this book had a great plot, with the idea of some excellent characters. But the writing style..."
Deenie

"It amazing this is a must read for teen girls everywhere"
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

"All Turner Ernest Buckminster wants to do is light out for the territories. It’s his one hope for a new..."
Emily of New Moon (Emily of New Moon #1)

"“Emily didn’t know that was being pitied.” This observation is made by Lucy Maud Montgomery in describing her favorite..."
Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter (Chinese Cinderella #1)

"Reader reviewed by Jazmyn Adeline Yen Mah in my opinion out did her self. This was an amazing book about..."
145th Street: Short Stories

"Reader reviewed by Jolie I recommend Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter because Pollyanna is a character who always looks on..."

"Reader reviewed by Jolie I recommend Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter because Pollyanna is a character who always looks on..."
As Long as We Both Shall Live (April Lancaster #1-2)

"Reader reviewed by Arian hey!OMG this is the best book ever.i love this book, but then agian who can't love..."
The End of Forever: Two Novels (Erin Bennett #1-2)

"Reader reviewed by Sandra S. This is the story between two sisters, Erin and Amy, and the bond sisters have..."
The End of Forever: Two Novels (Erin Bennett #1-2)

"Reader reviewed by Daisy A story about Erin Bennet, older sister to Amy Bennet. Amy and Erin are nothing alike...."
A Rose for Melinda

"Reader reviewed by Crystal To start off I LOVED this book!!!!! It was amazing in so many different ways! Soon..."
Killing Mr. Griffin

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick this book was pretty good! i thought it was going to be a boring book because..."

"Reader reviewed by katie My moms best friend/ second mother is Ella Ellis. She only has one lung due to..."
Motown and Didi

"Reader reviewed by peacechik motown and didi showed me that even in the worst of times theres still a possibility..."

"Reader reviewed by vicky I really liked this book. It showed how life could be different in so many ways..."