Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Extreme Sports and Search and Rescue

Matt and his family have moved to Nevada, where his mother runs an Army base and heads up their K-9 Training Unit. His father is deployed, so settling in has been difficult. Matt loves extreme sports like kayaking, but they are hard to do alone. When he gets to attempt a rock climbing wall at school, he does better than he expected, and he is invited by some fellow students, including Dev and Amaiya, to try climbing some rocks. This doesn't go quite as well, but he makes some friends and is glad to have a new activity to perfect. Things are good at home as well, since the family has Scout, a dog who was trained in Mississippi with Hero. Scout's a good dog, and Matt is enjoying him as a pet, but his mother has concerns that he isn't settled and focused enough to become a good rescue dog. When Matt is off on an adventure, there is a disaster that happens with an overflowing damn, and Scout is able to prove his worth.

Good Points
Shotz is the best dog adventure writer since Jim Kjelgaard. I have a reluctant reader who was particularly enthralled with her books, and while reading this, it occurred to me that this student might well grow up to join the Marines and train dogs at Quantico! There are relatively few books about military families (Daphne Benedis-Grab Army Brats and Patterson's Operation Oleander are two that come to mind), and it's always good to see this represented, especially with the mother being relatively high ranking!

The details about dog training are exceptional, and I can see younger readers using these books to try to train their dogs to search and find younger siblings!

These books are short, action-packed, and featuring engaging dogs and humans. The inclusion of extreme sports in this made it stand out from the others. The cover! A lot of students will pick this up!

The Hero series by this author as well as her Max : Best Friend, Hero, Marine are also great adventure books, and some of the Dog Diaries by Kate Klimo, especially Togo and Sparky are great to hand to readers who enjoy this book.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

An Egg-Stra Special Easter
Happy Easter from the Beanie Boos! These furry friends are...

0.0 (0)
Jesus Loves Me
The Bible bb's share the Good News about Jesus using...

0.0 (0)
Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!
It’s Halloween and all the different creatures have come out...

0.0 (0)
The Itsy Bitsy School Bus
A fun and playful back-to-school twist on the popular nursery...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Hearts
Perfect for Valentine's Day or any day--search-and-find fun from bestselling...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Bunnies
This bestselling board book now has a shiny new holographic...

0.0 (0)
Peep, Peep, I Love You
An adorable lift-the-flap springtime and Easter story, full of sweet...

0.0 (0)
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)
Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Queen of the Sea

"Young Margaret lives on an island convent. She doesn’t know who her parents were, but enjoys living among the nuns,..."
Beyond a Darkened Shore

"Top 4 Reasons to Grab BEYOND A DARKENED SHORE immediately: 1.) Historical fantasy worldbuilding: My biggest genre weakness..."
Enchantée

"After the death of her parents to smallpox, Camille Durbonne struggles to get by with her younger sister Sofie. One..."
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)

"Feedback What a change from book one! While I enjoyed Timekeeper, it took me a while to truly engage..."
The Crown's Game

""The Crown's Game" is not quite what I expected. It portrays two magicians-in-training, Vika and Nikolai who both want to..."
Hurricane Katrina Rescue (Ranger in Time #8)

"Ranger, a failed rescue dog (squirrels are so distracting!), has a first aid kit that sends him through time to..."
Olivia Twist

"In this retelling of the classic Charles Dickens's tale, Oliver Twist, Oliver is a girl. Time has passed, but Olivia..."
Serafina and the Black Cloak

"Creak. Creak. Creak. The floor in the basement of the 1899 Biltmore Estate groaned as a golden-haired girl tiptoed towards..."
Benjamin Franklin: You've Got Mail

"After the adventures in Benjamin Franklin: A Huge Pain in My A**, Ike is worried about a letter he has..."
Silent

"SILENT by David Mellon is quite cinematic, which makes sense as the author has been a storyboard artist in the..."
The Bear and the Nightingale (The Bear and the Nightingale, #1)

"The Bear and the Nightingale is a fantasy book you will never forget, it’s a fantastic mix of Russian folklore,..."
The Crown's Game

"So after falling in love with the world, the characters, the plot, basically everything Skye created we come to the..."
Argos: The Story of Odysseus as Told by His Loyal Dog

"I have always been a fan of Greek Mythology, especially retellings like Argos. Telling the story of Odysseus through the..."
Carter and the Curious Maze

"Carter has been going to the fair since he was a little kid, and now that he is twelve, it..."
Steeplejack

"Anglet Sutonga, 17, is one, if not the, best steeplejack in Bar-Selehm. Her job involves climbing factories and tall buildings..."
The Crown's Game

"This book was high on my list of anticipated releases for 2016 and, going into it, I was worried it..."
The Crown's Game

"In Imperial Russia, two enchanters train their magic, unknowingly preparing for a competition neither exactly agree with. The Crown’s Game..."
The Glittering Court

"I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Glittering Court. I really enjoyed some of Mead’s Vampire Academy books but..."
A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic #1)

""No London is truly without magic." I love this series! SO SO MUCH! There are so many instances of..."
A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic #1)

"As with most high fantasy, A Darker Shade of Magic starts slow and quiet, building a world that is like..."