Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Comic Alien Invasion Novel

Margot is new to West Cover middle school, and her day isn't going well. There is a giant whale decomposing on the beach near her, and a kid on her bus, Mateo, is acting weird. She follows him, and realizes he has something tentacled and slimy clinging to his back. Luckily, she is an Olympic bound wrestler and uses her moves to take Mateo down and get the creature off him. They are soon joined by Calvin, a scientist who is supposed to be giving a talk at school. Calvin has Margot retrieve the creature from the drain, and after some research, they all decide that it is, in fact, an alien. There are others infected, including Coach Jenkins and Mayor Balboa, and the children fear that their fathers might also be infected, since they were both with the conservancy group that met on the beach with the whale, and many others who were there are infected. Since so many important adults in town are in the aliens' thrall, it's up to Margot and Mateo to figure out how to disarm the aliens. Of course, they also have to perform in a school rendition of Romeo and Juliet in the meantime! Once the government comes to help with the issue, there is still the question of where the alien eggs may be hiding. Can Margot and Mateo find them and save the world before it's too late?

Good Points
Most good middle grade speculative fiction books include tweens saving the world, and it always helps when the adults are the ones they have to be fighting! Bringing in a classmate, Chelsea, who is also infected (but it's not HER fault!) is a nice touch, and the range of adults involved not only makes sense but is amusing. The group of them coming together at a local hotel to install the alien queen in a salt laden swimming pool makes the book reading just for this scene.

Margot is a great character, and I wish we had learned a bit more about her wrestling career! Her father coaches her, and her moves are spectacularly helpful when it comes to taking down alien spawn. She's a little brusque and irritated, but her day HAS been filled with glowing, slimy creatures trying to attach themselves to the back of her neck!

This is filled with lots of laugh-out-loud moments and great one-liners. (Little did I know how fond I am of the phrase "farting around" until Coach Jenkins used it!) Mateo has an obsession with vintage LaCoste shirts, the aliens are beautifully slimy and gross, and the adults who have been infected by the aliens act in unpredictable, and often silly, ways. Fans of Castle's Clone Chronicles, Emerson's The Fellowship for Alien Detection, Kloepfer's Galaxy's Most Wanted and especially Smith's Little Green Men at the Mercury Inn will appreciate this stand alone alien romp.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Leading Edge of Now
Just when Grace is beginning to get used to...

0.0 (0)
9 FROM NINE WORLDS
The Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard trilogy...

0.0 (0)
I Do Not Trust You
Memphis "M" Engle is stubborn to a fault, graced...

0.0 (0)
RIPPED- a Jack the Ripper Time-Travel Thriller
When a museum trip turns funky, Katie Lennox is...

4.8 (5)
Queens (The Wielders of Arantha Book 2)
A cosmic game of chess is underway, and the...

0.0 (0)
Pride
Pride and Prejudice gets remixed in this smart, funny,...

0.0 (0)
The Story of B
The Story of B combines Daniel Quinn's provocative and visionary...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: Beauty and the Beast: A Modern Retelling
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Snow Queen: A Graphic Novel
Follow Gerda on an adventure to find her friend Kay,...

0.0 (0)
DARK TALES: THE CALL OF CTHULHU: A Graphic Novel
In this Dark Tale, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming... ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Graphic Novel
Eliminate the impossible, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be...

0.0 (0)
Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY
Adrienne Cahill cares about three things: getting into a great...

0.0 (0)
#Murdertrending
@doctorfusionbebop: Some 17 y. o. chick named Dee Guerrera was...

0.0 (0)
Unstoppable Moses
Moses and his cousin Charlie were best friends, wisecracking pranksters,...

0.0 (0)
51HTvQF3B2L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Alien meets Alexandra Bracken’s The Darkest Minds in this thrilling...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

What If It's Us

"So… here we are. We’ve been blessed by possibly the most anticipated collaboration from two YA authors, so how could..."
What If It's Us

"I’ve read both Becky and Adam books and What If It’s Us is a combination of the very best of..."
Everything, Everything

""Everything, Everything" follows Madeline, who lives in a bubble- she has a rare disease called SCID, which means she is..."
Eleanor & Park

""Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian..."
Here to Stay

"Bijan Majidi does okay in high school-- he has a good friend, Sean, is on the basketball team, and while..."
Life in Outer Space

"Life in Outer Space is one of the cutest and nerdiest books I’ve ever read. This contemporary quickly burrowed its..."
Same But Different: Teen Life on the Autism Express

"SAME BUT DIFFERENT by twins Ryan Elizabeth Peete & RJ Peete is told in alternating narratives and loosely based on..."
Whale Talk

" T.J. lives in a small conservative Northwest town where his mixed race heritage sets him apart. He was adopted..."
Saint Anything

"In Sarah Dessen’s “Saint Anything,” the author shows what it’s like to be invisible in one’s own life. It..."
The Wicker King

"K. Ancrum’s debut novel, The Wicker King, offers a glimpse into the unraveling of the human psyche. August..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"I remember the film coming out and I was quite curious to see what it was about but I wanted..."
Just Friends

"JUST FRIENDS by Dyan Sheldon is a sweet YA romantic comedy featuring Josh Shine, a music-loving, ponytailed, chess-playing, short high..."
Slider

"David is interested in competitive eating-- he can eat a pizza pretty quickly, and he's watched a lot of competitions..."
Everything, Everything

"This story is told in first-person present-tense entirely from the POV of Madeline, who is turning eighteen in the first..."
Just Friends

"Josh is into old movies, old music, and doesn't mind taking yoga classes with his best friend, Ramona. He also..."
Lucky in Love

"Maddie, our main character in Kasie West’s “Lucky in Love”, is logical, hard-working, and a mega planner. She has..."
Lucky in Love

"I am so happy I read this book! there so many things I like about it! the plot is..."
Lucky in Love

" Maddie leads a normal teenage life. The only exception is her family's money problems. So when Maddie unexpectedly wins..."
Lucky in Love

"Everyone has asked themselves at least once, “what would you do if you won the lotto”. LUCKY IN LOVE is..."
P.S. I Still Love You

"all i can feel about this book is envy... this book is just written so well. it still has the..."