Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

For Fans of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Scary short stories seem to be perennially popular, and not just around Halloween! This newest collection edited by R.L. Stine (like Fear and Nightmare Hour) includes some newer, popular authors such as Bruce Hale, Chris Grabenstein, and Beth Fantaskey. The stories are thematically linked by all starting with a SCREAM!

Because each story is by a different author, they vary widely, but are all scary enough to send a chill down the readers' spines but not keep them awake at night! There are monsters, ghosts, and the usual spooky characters as well as some more technologically based frights.

Since one story is never enough, it's great that this is a fairly long book with 20 stories. There are brief descriptions of the mystery writers at the back of the book, which is a great resource for readers who want to hunt down further chilling tales by whomever wrote the story that scared them the most!

Good Points
Scary stories for middle school tend toward goofiness a bit too much, but Stine (once we move beyond Goosebumps) takes middle grade horror very seriously, and the stories he has picked evidence that. From school trips to historical sites to traditional creepy basements, all of these stories take ordinary occurrences and make them deeply creepy.

Personally, I think there is an entire novel to be written involving a creepy ice cream truck!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Story of B
The Story of B combines Daniel Quinn's provocative and visionary...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: Beauty and the Beast: A Modern Retelling
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Snow Queen: A Graphic Novel
Follow Gerda on an adventure to find her friend Kay,...

0.0 (0)
DARK TALES: THE CALL OF CTHULHU: A Graphic Novel
In this Dark Tale, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming... ...

0.0 (0)
Dark Tales: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Graphic Novel
Eliminate the impossible, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be...

0.0 (0)
Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY
Adrienne Cahill cares about three things: getting into a great...

0.0 (0)
9 FROM NINE WORLDS
The Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard trilogy may...

0.0 (0)
#Murdertrending
@doctorfusionbebop: Some 17 y. o. chick named Dee Guerrera was...

0.0 (0)
Unstoppable Moses
Moses and his cousin Charlie were best friends, wisecracking pranksters,...

0.0 (0)
51HTvQF3B2L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Alien meets Alexandra Bracken’s The Darkest Minds in this thrilling...

0.0 (0)
Thief of Happy Endings
Sarah Dessen meets the Wild West in this tale of...

0.0 (0)
Between Before and After
“The carnage began with the roses. She hacked at their...

0.0 (0)
STANDING UP AGAINST HATE is the story of black women...

0.0 (0)
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)
Clock mechanic Danny Hart knows he’s being watched. But by...

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old cupid-in-training Kali is in an Olympus-sized mountain of trouble....

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel: A Story of Sleepy Hollow

" "The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel" is a retelling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow from the point-of-view of..."
The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel: A Story of Sleepy Hollow

"A romantic, female-driven gothic tale of star-crossed lovers with a real-world twist on Washington Irving’s classic ‘The Legend of Sleepy..."
We Are Still Tornadoes

""We are Still Tornadoes" is an incredible insta-favorite! I am absolutely gushing about how much I loved this book! This..."
A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen #2)

" An enthralling, beautifully crafted YA fantasy—laced with Indian lore and memorable characterization. Gauri is a betrayed..."
My True Love Gave To Me

"I admit that I’m not a big anthology fan. I find the stories in them are hit and miss. ‘My..."
Sanctuary Bay

"Sanctuary Bay was a title I was really excited to read and I admit that I hate that I pushed..."
Fangirl

"This book was touchingly beautiful. Cath was a perfect protagonist and I connected with her quite intimately. Despite the heartbreak,..."
Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1)

"This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/2017/03/born-at-midnight-by-cc-hunter.html Kylie is dealing with a lot, including breaking up with..."
Hello, I Love You

"This book reminds me a lot of Anna and the French Kiss, without all the hot bits. This book is..."
A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen #2)

"A Crown of Wishes is a spellbinding follow up to the stunning The Star-Touched Queen which was based on a..."
We Are Still Tornadoes

"We Are Still Tornadoes tells the story of Cath and Scott, who have both graduated from high school and are..."
We Are Still Tornadoes

"We Are Still Tornadoes is a cute story about long distance friendship, college life, life in general, '80s music,..."
The Memory of Things

"It's so true when they say you'll always remember where you were on 9-11. I was a first grade..."
The Possibility of Somewhere

"The Possibility of Somewhere has been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions for me. I had all the feels. And..."
The Infinity of You & Me

"What worked: This was one fast-paced tale with a protagonist who jumps through different worlds in the multiverse. ..."

"The Possibility of Somewhere has been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions for me. I had all the feels. And..."

"The Possibility of Somewhere is definitely one of those stories you just can't put down. Julia Day's debut novel..."
The Tsarina's Legacy

"I enjoy this author's ability to bring history to life. I particularly enjoy the way she alternates the past with..."
Fangirl

"I almost gave up on this book. Several chapters in I was not identifying with the main character. She was..."
Marked (House of Night #1)

"Zoey is a normal teenage girl dealing with family issues, school, and her (almost) ex-boyfriend. That is, until she is..."