Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

A Classic that Holds Up Well

Judy is starting 3rd grade, and she is not pleased about it. Her family didn't go anywhere over the summer, so she doesn't have a souvenir t shirt to wear, only a self-styled, hand-made "I ate shark" one. She's glad to be with her best friend, Rocky, but she is not pleased to be in the same class with Frank. Frank has been known to eat paste and pays a lot of attention to Judy, which she doesn't appreciate. He even has the gall to invite her to his birthday party, although she neglects to tell her parents about this. Just is also in a bad mood because she frequently has to take her younger brother, Stink, along with her on her outings, and she also has a long term project for school. The "Me Collage" is a lot of work, and while Judy tries to do a good job on it, she is sometimes forgetful. She completes it in time, but when her father and Stink volunteer to bring it to school on a rainy day, disaster occurs. Will this cause another bad mood, or is Judy learning to deal a little bit better with life?

Good Points
I was very surprised that my older daughter never read this series, since she would have been seven when it was published in 2000. It also was a possibility that the series would seem dated, but it has held up delightfully. Third graders generally don't have as much technology as older students, so their concerns are more timeless and low tech!

McDonald skillfully addresses issues that are important to children but seem unimportant to adults. What's the big deal about going to a birthday party? Plenty! Judy is dismayed that she is the only girl in attendance, but discovering that she and Frank have some shared interests soon makes them friends. Judy is also understandably concerned about getting her project on the bus in the rain, but also doesn't quite trust someone else to bring it... with good reason! Even her bad moods are very typical of children who are trying to be independent but still need a lot more help than they would like.

Judy has a long series of books now, as does her brother, and they appear in early chapter books as well as beginning readers. Stink and Judy join a long line of realistic fiction about feisty, amusing characters such as Barrows' Ivy and Bean, Parks' Junie B. Jones, Warner's Alfie and Ellray and English's Niki and Deja, Yee's Bobby the Brave and Zemke's Bea Garcia.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

#1 Bestseller on Kobo and Category Bestseller on Amazon! ...

0.0 (0)
What if you were the missing piece in one of...

0.0 (0)
The Babysitter's Club: Kristy's Big Day
Kristy's mom is getting married, and Kristy is going to...

0.0 (0)
The Very Last Castle
A curious little girl watches the man who guards the...

0.0 (0)
Jack B. Ninja
Jack B. Ninja! Jack, be quick! Jack, jump over the...

0.0 (0)
Emerge: The Assignment: An Immortals of Indriell Novella
She has devoted her life to training with the...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans...

0.0 (0)
Freak N Gorgeous
Everyone is ugly sometimes. In a world not unlike...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously...

0.0 (0)
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)
Death. Sacrifice. Betrayal. That is your curse. The seer's...

0.0 (0)
The Forest Queen
When sixteen-year-old Sylvie’s brother takes over management of their family’s...

0.0 (0)
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)
There's a storm coming! The other WellieWishers promise to help...

0.0 (0)
Afterimage
A horrific explosion levels part of the city and...

0.0 (0)
Death in daylight. Danger at dark. ...

0.0 (0)
The Little Girl Who Wanted to be Big
The internet’s “World’s Best Father," award-winning photographer Dave Engledow, follows...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Edge Rules

"Another adorable read by Melanie Hooyenga. The story: Bri has always been queen B... until now. Kicked out..."
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)

"The story: Leaf and Oaklee live in a medieval style, self-sustaining, community within a biodome called New Eden. Cut off..."
The Weekend Bucket List

"Although TWBL starts as a simple buddy adventure, it quickly morphs into a coming-of-age journey including budding sexuality and the..."
Heart of Mine

"Growing up, Madison always thought of Alex as a brother more than a possible boyfriend. But when something sparks between..."

"The pirate crew of Lady Luck is only composed of females and they have rules they must live by. One..."
Awakening of Fire (Dragon Born, #1)

"Felicia never thought her life could be turned upside down by taking a trip to the mall. But when she's..."
The Gods of Men

"The story: A childhood tragedy forces Sable to flee her home, change her identity, and eke out a meager..."
Karina

"The story: Disfigured by a childhood accident, thirteen-year-old Karina Morgan has it tough. Labeled an outcast because of her..."
THE GHOST CHRONICLES

"\\Michael Andrews has died in a fiery car accident. He is sentenced to continually walk the earth. Things start to..."
Emerge: The Captive: (Book 3)

"Feedback Emerge: The Captive takes place between Awakening and Judgment through Sasha and Quinn’s point of view. At first..."
STUMPED

"Ozzy has everything a teenager could want, good grades, a hot girlfriend, and successful high school swimming career. When..."

"What happens when myth becomes a reality that is closer to home than you realize? That is the tale of..."

"I love the characters and their interactions. Not just a lot of action, but a true, indepth story...."

"What can I say? I, a 49 year old woman, got sucked into a YA story and absolutely LOVE..."
The Gods of Men

"There is nothing not to like in this book. The story: Sable hasn't had it easy. The daughter of..."

"In DARK FATES, there's a prophesy that keeps the humans and vampires separate out of fear. It is said that..."
Intoxic

"This is strong writing from an author on the rise. Gallion's prose is a breath of fresh air. There is..."

"I can't wait to see where the next book goes!"
Sneaking Out

" ‘Sneaking Out’ is the first installment in the ‘Chase’ series. The setting is an elite New England..."
Bleeding Hearts

"The story: Nancy Miller is a poor, illiterate teenage girl scrounging out a meager living in Edinburgh. On the..."