Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Social Unrest in the Fairy Realm

Isabelle is in training to become a fairy godmother, but her skills aren't top notch, so she's had to have regular girls as her assignments instead of princesses. Her Grandmomma is in charge of training, and seems to feel that Isabelle is not working up to her potential. When Minerva, an older fairy who has mentored Isabelle in the past, requests a meeting with Isabelle, Irene, and MaryEllen, the group start a protest movement. While many of the fairies are categorized as "Bests", there are a number whose work hasn't been as good who are called "Worsts". This is an unfair assessment, and Minerva wants to work to change it. There's lots of intrigue going on, and Isabelle finds that her first two girls aren't happy. She tries to complete her level 3 training, keep her grandmother and older sister happy, try to make her first two girls happy and demand fair treatment for all fairy godmothers! It's a lot to ask, but Isabelle is sure she is up to the task.

Good Points
This is a good object lesson in the strength and power of language. While it boggles the mind that any organization would name different divisions "Bests" and "Worsts", it does give Minerva and Isabelle an opportunity to participate in protests and to question authority. This mirrors what is going on in current events, and presents strategies in a setting that is easier for young readers to deal with.

Isabelle is a very caring girl who wants to do her best but isn't getting a lot of support from the adults in her life. The fact that she cares deeply about doing a good job despite this is a good lesson for young readers to learn.

Judging from the plethora of fairy godmother books out there, which include Bozarth's The Fairy Godmother Academy, Brauner's The Glitter Trap, Codell's Diary of a Fairy Godmother, and Kinsella's recent Fairy Mom and Me, this is a growing and lucrative field of employment! Avid readers who need pointers on upping their game will get lots of them, including how to unionize, from The Wish List series.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!
It’s Halloween and all the different creatures have come out...

0.0 (0)
The Itsy Bitsy School Bus
A fun and playful back-to-school twist on the popular nursery...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Hearts
Perfect for Valentine's Day or any day--search-and-find fun from bestselling...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Bunnies
This bestselling board book now has a shiny new holographic...

0.0 (0)
Peep, Peep, I Love You
An adorable lift-the-flap springtime and Easter story, full of sweet...

0.0 (0)
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)
Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)
What About Harry?
From New York Times bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson comes the...

0.0 (0)
Roary the Lion Roars Too Loud (Wee Beasties)
Help little ones learn how to use their inside voices...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope

"Everyone should pick up a copy of this novel, and read it, then poke Elizabeth to write and get the..."
Hugo Read This!

"Reader reviewed by Jim Colbert Swarrow's vivid imagery in this book is disturbingly enticing. The suspense makes it a difficult..."

"Reader reviewed by Lia Rachel lives on The Property with her mom, who housekeeps for the owner, Ms. Moore, a..."

"Reader reviewed by stickman I happened to pick up a copy of this book in a garage sale and..."

"Reader reviewed by Erica The Siren Kiera Cass Release Date: July 9, 2009 Pages: 276 Rating: 5 stars "You must..."
Merit The Greyhound: The Racing Years

"Reader reviewed by Cindy I loved this book. At times I wished I could scoop Merit up into my..."

"Reader reviewed by Tracy This story was just fantastic.  It was very well written and kept me engaged the entire..."

"Reader reviewed by Shannon I loved this clever book. It is told through the eyes of Merit the Greyhound from..."
Silver Shoes

"Reader reviewed by TheBookworm Silver Shoes By Paul Miles Schneider Pub. Date: February 2009 3.5 out of 5 stars PG..."
In The Nick of Time

"Reader reviewed by Emmy This is the story of Andy, a 13-year-old boy who, after the death of his quirky,..."
In The Nick of Time

"Reader reviewed by KD In the Nick of Time, by J Lee Graham is one of the best books I've..."
In The Nick of Time

"Reader reviewed by AWFoster In the Nick of Time by J. Lee Graham is a very good read. I enjoyed..."

"Reader reviewed by Max Fifteen-year-old Madeline Hickman has a sister, Barbara, who's getting married. Barbara is also a heavy..."

"Reader reviewed by J. Mitchell Peace I Ask of Thee, Oh River is the story of a troubled girl, Tiffin..."

"Reader reviewed by Jamie The author was doing a book signing at the local library that I just happened to..."

"Reader reviewed by Emily I'm a huge fan of Twilight. I loved the book and movie. It was very romantic...."

"Reader reviewed by Oscar I have assigned Summer Job as required reading to my seventh graders. It definitely gets them..."

"Set in 1965, Mr. Touchdown is a story about segregation and integration, but also about friendship and courage. Eddie Russell,..."
Amber

"Amber Lee is almost ten years old. She lives with her mother and the two of them have been moving..."
Dragons for Kris

"Reader reviewed by Elaine Pietsch Dragons for Kris is a great book for all young readers, but especially for boys...."