Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Adorable Retelling of The Nutcracker

THE NUTCRACKER MICE is a very adorable retelling of the Russian Nutcracker, but from a smaller perspective. Esmeralda the mouse is a rising star and is putting on their version of The Nutcracker. They live under Mariinsky Theater in Saint Petersburg and they get to watch the humans perform their beautiful and entrancing dances.

Even though mice are considered to be vermin, Esmeralda meets Irina, a human nine-year-old who wants to help them. Irina is the daughter of the custodian and may be the only one who can help save their lives and the ballet. Esmeralda doesn't want to be seen as the enemy.

I do think that some names and words are complicated considering it's a middle grade novel, like Lyudmila and Balalaika for example. I absolutely loved the pictures. I feel like they brought the story to life and my daughter enjoyed them as well. I do appreciate how the author sticks to the history of it, but younger readers may not realize it.

Final Verdict: I would recommend this to fans of animals like mice, The Nutcracker, and ballet. It's a prefect story to share around Christmas when the traditional play is on tour.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

You/Poet: Learn the Art. Speak Your Truth. Share Your Voice.
Offering a variety of advice for tapping into your creative...

0.0 (0)
Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
Darth Vader isn't scared! Nothing can scare Lord Vader. ...

0.0 (0)
Star-Touched Stories
From New York Times bestselling author, Roshani Chokshi, comes Star-Touched...

0.0 (0)
91HIpyhaW9L.jpg
The third book in the New York Times bestselling series...

0.0 (0)
One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Coming Up For Air

""Coming Up for Air" is a really fantastic YA romance. Maggie and Levi have been BFFs since they were 2..."
Coming Up For Air

"Swim. Eat. Shower. School. Snack. Swim. Swim. Swim. Dinner. Homework. Bed. Repeat. All of Maggie’s focus and free time..."
Defending Taylor

"This was an interesting book. Filled with the hardships of meeting expectations, Taylor is not sure what she wants to..."
Defending Taylor

"It’s a great experience to jump back into the world of Hundred Oaks. This series has been one of my..."
Jesse's Girl

"YA Contemporary, JESSE'S GIRL is perfect as a standalone. The title of the book totally reminds me of a song..."
Breathe, Annie, Breathe (Hundred Oaks #5)

"What I Loved: Miranda Kenneally has completely outdone herself. I’ve enjoyed all of her books. Loved them, in fact. They’re..."
Breathe, Annie, Breathe (Hundred Oaks #5)

JenJen
"I had the privilege of reading a very early version of this, something I'm still smiling about! One of the..."
Racing Savannah (Hundred Oaks #4)

"I have loved every Miranda Kenneally book that I have got my hands on. I was hoping that this would..."
Catching Jordan

"I have been wanting to read Catching Jordan for awhile now but I have been a bit hesitant because someone..."

"Miranda Kenneally has quickly become an auto-buy author for me. I've loved each of her Hundred Oaks books and..."
Catching Jordan

"I really liked this book. There could of been more to the story. I didn't like that the author made..."

"This was the first book from Miranda that I’ve read and I thought it was pretty good. I liked the..."

"I have to be honest. I'm late to the Miranda Kenneally world. This was my first book to..."

"What I Loved: Racing Savannah is Miranda Kenneally’s fourth novel and, thus far, she’s not written a single book that..."

JenJen
"What I loved: The covers in the Hundred Oaks series are some of my favorites. They have clean, bright colors..."
Things I Can't Forget

"I bow down to Miranda Kenneally and her awesome writing skills. Things I Can't Forget is such a powerful story..."
Stealing Parker

"I don't think I could have loved this book anymore than I did. I can honestly say that Miranda Kenneally..."
Things I Can't Forget

"Although I saw it was about religion and I was a little iffy, I never doubted it because it was..."
Things I Can't Forget

"I have loved all of Miranda Kenneally's books and Things I Can't Forget may have just topped the list as..."
Things I Can't Forget

"What I Loved: I've been a fan of Miranda's since I read Catching Jordan, and I will definitely read anything..."