Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Takes you into the world of Hansel and Gretel

Abby and Jonah take another trip through their magic mirror after being told their grounded from technology. This time, it takes them into the story of Hansel and Gretel. They run into them in the woods and are shocked to see that they look almost identical to Abby and Jonah.

When Hansel and Gretel take Abby and Jonah's portal home, Abby and Jonah are forced to play out the story. They're captured by the witch, but do things a little differently than the original way. All the while, they're scared what Hansel and Gretel are doing back in their world.

I love how SUGAR AND SPICE takes you into the classic story of Hansel and Gretel but changes it up a bit. I also really liked how Jonah and Abby learn the lesson that they should be happy for what they have. Hansel and Gretel were poor and Abby and Jonah realizes how good they have it. They know better that to take things for granted again, especially their parents.

Final Verdict: This is another exciting addition to the Whatever After series. It's perfect for fans of Hansel and Gretel, fairytale retellings, and magic.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Emerge: The Betrayal  (Immortals of Indriell Book 5)
Four years ago, Allie and Aidan parted ways. ...

0.0 (0)
Whispers of Shadow & Flame (Earthsinger, #2)
The Mantle that separates the kingdoms of Elsira and Lagrimar...

0.0 (0)
Plague of Death Anchoress Series Book Two
Her light protects her world. But to defeat an...

0.0 (0)
The Kingdom
Welcome to the Kingdom… where "Happily Ever After" isn’t...

0.0 (0)
Stepsister
Isabelle should be blissfully happy - she's about to...

0.0 (0)
Merbaby's Lullaby
Hush, foam rocker, sleep, wave breaker. ...

0.0 (0)
Mage's Apprentice
Vampires. Shifters. Fae. Mages. This ain’t the New York...

0.0 (0)
Bright Burning Stars
Best friends Marine Duval and Kate Sanders have trained...

0.0 (0)
Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
Raised among the ruins of a conquered mountain nation, Maren...

0.0 (0)
The Voice in my Head
For Indigo Phillips, life has always been about basking...

0.0 (0)
The Virtue of Sin
Miriam lives in New Jerusalem, a haven in the desert...

0.0 (0)
Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle #1)

" Gemma has a vision of her mother's death which comes true. She moves from India to England, where she..."
The Giver (The Giver Quartet #1)

"I picked this book up to see if it would be appropriate for my precocious nine-year-old, and was blown away..."
Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow #1)

"The novel is narrated by seventeen-year-old Ellie Linton as she documents in a journal her experiences during a military invasion..."
Can't Stay Away (Sweet Valley High Senior Year #1)

AshAsh
"Years later after reading this and I STILL love this book. Will, Lila, Melissa. Ugh! Gotta love snotty people, cheaters,..."

"The novel opens with eleven-year-old Jonas awaiting his Ceremony of Twelve, where he will be assigned his career and begin..."

"A popular dystopian book written for young adults, though I believe many adults would enjoy the world that Lois Lowry..."

"This book really keeps you reading! It's rich and full of amazing world-building. It doesn't insult your intelligence and hooks..."

"Couldn't put this book down! Love the setting for this novel. "

"I hated the lot of the girls except for Gemma. Kartik was great and the time setting for a concept..."
Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow #1)

"Tomorrow #1 is a fun young adult book that keeps up the suspense and scariness of these teens' new existence...."

"I honestly did not expect to like this novel as much as I did. I picked it up because I..."

"This book was crucially character and perception-shaping for me when I first read it in sixth grade. Harsh, realistically poignant,..."

"In school, you're not expecting to read something so real. You read Romeo and Juliet. And you think that's..."

Kat
"Out of all the books I’ve read in the past year, ‘Skellig’ has been one of the best. It was..."

"I remember reading this all the way back in sixth grade for English class. It was a pretty good book,..."

"The Slave Dancer was the Newbery Award winner for 1974; it's an old school book, written in an old school..."

N/A
"I had to read this in 7th grade and 4 years later i still remember it clearly. I really loved..."

"I was able to identify with characters and events in the story so it made it much easier to read..."

"I always recommend a book because there's always someone who will like it. But for me this wasn't a read..."

"This is a great story to use to introduce dystopian novel-type stories. It also enhances the power and significance of..."