Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Great details about being a bodyguard.

After attacks in Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio, the security team is on high alert. Every venue is potentially fatal; every fan a potential assassin. Charley has her hands full, since Ash doesn't fully understand the peril he is in. It doesn't help that there is an overly zealous fan, Pete, who has altered his appearance to look as much like Ash as possible and is following the tour. Is he the threat? As more and more near misses occur-- aggressive paparazzi, a hotel fire-- everyone seems to be a suspect. The Guardian's tech people are brought in, and Charley escapes a fatal beating when they alert her to the presence of the cell phone that has been making the threats-- it's right next to her, under a concert stage! Since the potential killer knows how close Charley is, the threats escalate. Even though she is doing her best, it's almost impossible for Charley to keep Ash completely safe. It doesn't help that she is afraid she is becoming emotionally involved with the rock star. After several more harrowing episodes, it emerges that there are many people out to get Ash. Can they all be stopped before Ash's career, and possibly his life, is ended?

Good Points
The brief overview at the beginning of the book isn't really necessary, because I can't see readers waiting more than a day or two before plunging head first into this second book! It is very helpful if it's been a while, however. In the UK, I believe Target and Traitor are published as one volume.

This book certainly tests all of Charley's many skills, and even the romance aspect is handled from her main job as a security expert. I love how focused she is on her work, and how conscientious she is about everything. Mr. Bradford trained as a bodyguard in order to write this series, and I would certainly hire him if I were in a position to need protection!

The many twists do get to be a little bit unbelievable. I knew what would happen to Charley because of her role in the first books in this series, but it was still sad. Realistic, but sad.

I appreciate that these two books can be read outside of the main series. Caveat: Don't just buy book one! The second is a direct continuation of the story, and if avid readers don't have it, there will be complaints!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden were...

0.0 (0)
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Pulitzer Prize-winning...

0.0 (0)
Fairy Mom and Me
From the bestselling author of the Shopaholic series and the...

0.0 (0)
Picture Us in the Light
Danny Cheng has always known his parents have secrets. But...

0.0 (0)
Time Tracers
Twelve-year-old Taj Carter is on a high-stakes mission to track...

0.0 (0)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until her...

0.0 (0)
Better Together (Heartwood Hotel, #3)
Spring has come to Fernwood Forest, and the Heartwood Hotel...

0.0 (0)
Sky in the Deep
A 2018 Most Anticipated Young Adult book that is...

5.0 (1)
Devils Unto Dust
Keep together. Keep your eyes open. Keep your wits...

0.0 (0)
All The Things We Lost
After her mother’s death, eighteen-year-old Katie finds herself in...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another...

0.0 (0)
The Worst Fairy Godmother Ever!
Q: What do you need to become a great fairy...

0.0 (0)
Ada: Aegis Default
Newly famous and burdened with responsibility, Ada Anand has to...

0.0 (0)
Ada: Solstice Volition
When Ada Anand is given a very special gift for...

0.0 (0)
Drum Roll, Please
Find the confidence to rock out to your own beat...

0.0 (0)
Ignite
Four strangers. Four powerful elements. To survive a ruthless...

5.0 (1)

Latest Member Reviews

Fairy Mom and Me

"Ella has the coolest mom ever because she's a fairy. Magic and all. The best part? Ella will be a..."
Time Tracers

"Taj is confused when he wakes up to what's supposed to be the first day of summer break, but instead,..."
Better Together (Heartwood Hotel, #3)

"When Mr. Heartwood takes a break, Mona the maid feels like she needs to step up to make sure nothing..."
The Worst Fairy Godmother Ever!

"Isabelle is a fairy-godmother-in-training and is so nervous that she's going to wind up being terrible like her mother was...."
Drum Roll, Please

"Even though Melly was forced to go to Camp Rockaway, it's just the escape she needs. Her parents are getting..."
Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)

"Abby and Jonah take another trip through their magic mirror after being told their grounded from technology. This time, it..."
The Hall Monitors Are Fired!

"Sam is the hall monitor at Eerie Elementary, but his job requires more than watching out for students doing things..."
A Round of Robins

"This picture book sized poetry book follows Mama and Dad bird as they hatch a clutch of eggs, supervise raising..."
The Seismic Seven

"Kenzie, Brianna, Wyatt and Todd have all have won the opportunity to study with Dr. Grier in Yellowstone National Park,..."
The Slithery Shakedown: The Nocturnals (Grow & Read Early Reader, Level 2)

"In this sequel to The Midnight Meeting, we rejoin Bismark the sugar glider, Tobin the pangolin and Dawn the fox...."
Beat Bugs: In My Life (I Can Read Level 1)

"Illustrated with stills from the television program with light colored font, children will enjoy identifying the characters they know from..."
Scroll of Kings (The Lost Books #1)

"Alex is struggling as the apprentice to an elderly librarian at a castle filled with old, musty diaries and laundry..."

"Tristan's family decides to move from New York City to a small town after his father loses his job and..."
Sparks!

"Canine configuration engage! August, a cat, has created a robotic dog that his friend Charlie helps him run. With the..."
A Warp in Time (Horizon, Book 3)

"The children in the Killbots whose plane went down have suffered from having friends die, being stuck in all sorts..."
Marge in Charge and the Stolen Treasure (#2)

"Jemima and her little brother Jakey are being bedeviled by their baby cousin, Zara. Their Aunt Sally claims that her..."
Super Sweet Dreams (Puppy Princess #2)

"In this sequel to Party Time, Princess Rosie finds out that her best friend (and cat-in-waiting) Cleo's birthday is coming..."
How to Be a Supervillain: Born to Be Good (#2)

"Victor Spoil is back after defeating Dr. Deplorable in How to Be a Supervillian. He's still struggling with wanting to..."
The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

"Lucy lives with her supportive grandmother, and frequently sees her uncle, who is young, fun, and a bit misguided. Lucy..."
Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring

"Paloma Marquez has to spend the summer in Mexico City with her mother, who has gotten a fellowship to study..."