Review Detail

Kids Fiction 607
One side to Castro's Cuba
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Lora's family is poor, but has a decent life in Havana in the late 1950s. Lora wants desperately to go to a better school, but her parents don't have money to send her. Her abuela, who is very forward thinking, offers Lora jewelry that she was saving for her and says she may sell it and use the money for school. Lora does. When she is 13, Lora decides to join the Literacy Brigadistas, which was an idea of Fidel Castro's to raise the literacy rate and help the poorer, less educated people understand concepts in his new government. The Brigadistas, who were often very young and female, were given brief training on how to teach reading and then sent out into remote areas of the country to live and work with families while teaching them to read. They were given hammocks, since the families wouldn't have extra beds, lanterns so that people could learn after their day of working on the farm, and instruction in basic agricultural practice so that they could help on the farms. Lora ends up living with Luis and Veronica, who have three small children, and is also in charge of educating the nearby family. While the women were pleased to learn to read, the men often did not want to learn from young girls. Lora enjoys being with the family and learning of their hardships, but the atmosphere in Cuba is very tense, and the brigadistas are fearful that the resistance will attack them. After making sure that her students all pass their exams, Lora returns to her family, and the experience has a profound effect on her life.
Good Points
I've had several students with Cuban backgrounds who are very interested in reading stories like The Red Umbrella or 90 Miles to Havana. I had never heard of this reading initiative, and found it interesting that even with a higher literacy rate than other countries, Cuba thought that this was important enough to pursue, and that the country's literacy rate went up from 60% to 96%. The book concentrated more on the positives of teaching people to read, and Lora learned things from the family about the way other people lived their lives as well. There are extensive notes in the back of the book about the research, as well as a helpful time line.

Some Cubans might not agree with this portrayal of Cuba at this time. Paterson covered all of her bases when it comes to researching the basic story, and Lora isn't at all condescending to her students. This is selectively representative of the climate at the time, and focuses on the positives of Castro's early days, glossing over the bad things that occurred.

I wish the cover incorporated some of the period photographs of brigadistas, so it would be very clear that this was a historical novel. There are some resources online, and I can see this book being a great starting point to an exploration of Cuban history. Even if this were an #ownvoices book, I can see there being a lot of different opinions about this reading program, no matter how positive it is in concept. Young readers need to understand that stories are often complex.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Don't Date Rosa Santos

0.0 (0)
Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's...
Darknessontheedgeoftown.jpg

0.0 (0)
Chief Jim Hopper reveals long-awaited secrets to Eleven about...
My Ideal Boyfriend is a Croissant

0.0 (0)
This honest, laugh-out-loud novel brimming with body positivity, bite-sized...
Air Awakens

0.0 (0)
A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable...
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

0.0 (0)
Maia Tamarin dreams of becoming the greatest tailor in...
Girl Gone Ghost

0.0 (0)
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a serial killer...
Every Stolen Breath

5.0 (1)
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...
Cursed Beauty

0.0 (0)
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...
The C Word

0.0 (0)
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....
Aphelion

0.0 (0)
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...
Announcing Trouble

0.0 (0)
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...
Seneca Lake

0.0 (0)
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...
Freshman Witch

0.0 (0)
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...
Sarai and The Around The World Fair

0.0 (0)
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...
Of Beast and Beauty

0.0 (0)
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)

0.0 (0)
Meet the Peppers. Funny runs in the family....

Latest Member Reviews

Every Stolen Breath

"Transparency is the key in business and human dealings, i got onlineghosthacker247 @gmail dot com email, on here thinking that..."
Every Stolen Breath

"EVERY STOLEN BREATH is an engrossing read that follows Lia as she attempts to uncover her father's killers. Every so..."
Fangs & Fins

"Ivy and Ember are thrown together when their parents marry. One a popular girl, the other a bookworm, they start..."
Announcing Trouble

"Making me smile all the way through, ANNOUNCING TROUBLE was a pure delight. Josie is almost eighteen with an enormous..."
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Stranger Things )

"Darkness on the Edge of Town is a fascinating glimpse into Hopper's past. Being a big fan of Hopper since..."
Moon Water: A Novel

"MOON WATER follows Nettie in the summer of 1969 when her life is in turmoil. Nettie is 16 years old..."
The Memory Thief

"THE MEMORY THIEF is an engrossing YA fantasy that will keep you turning pages late into the night. Etta lives..."
Watch Us Rise

"WHAT I LOVED: Readers get a dual POV novel narrated by Jasmine, a fat Black girl, and Chelsea, a..."
Meet the Sky

"MEET THE SKY is a beautiful story about loss, life, and love. Sophie lives with her mother and sister, who..."
She's the Liar

"'She's the Liar' by Alison Cherry is about sisters Abby and Sydney and their time together at Brookside Academy. Abby,..."
The Speed of Falling Objects

"THE SPEED OF FALLING OBJECTS begins with a bang- Danny has been in a plane crash and is lost in..."
Let's Call It a Doomsday

"LET'S CALL IT A DOOMSDAY follows Ellis, a teenager who is Mormon and has an anxiety disorder. Eliis is in..."
A Dress for the Wicked

"A DRESS FOR THE WICKED is a lush and enthralling YA historical fiction that feels anything but historical! Emmaline (Emmy)..."
Rated

"RATED follows six teens in alternating points-of-view as they navigate a dystopian future. In this society, your life is dictated..."
Truly Madly Royally

"Truly Madly Royally was a cute-ish read that lacked a certain something to take it fully over the edge. ..."
Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale

"UNDER THE MOON brings us into the teenage years of Selina Kyle, who will eventually become Catwoman. Selina has a..."
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid

"THE SURFACE BREAKS is a slow-building retelling of The Little Mermaid. While staying true to the classic, this story adds..."
#Murderfunding (#MurderTrending, #2)

"#Murderfunding is an engaging and fast-paced sequel to #murdertrending. Alcatraz 2.0 has been shut down and #CinderellaSurvivor (Dee) and her..."
#Murdertrending

"In the near future, a reality TV star has become president and signed off on Alcatraz 2.0, a new prison..."
The Season

"THE SEASON by Sarah MacLean is a YA historical fiction novel that centers around seventeen-year-old Alex, who is coming of..."