Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Perfect for Today's Society

When Lolly's older brother Jermaine dies, Lolly is filled with anger and guilt. He's uncertain about how to move forward in life without the presence of his brother. The added pressure from different neighborhood gangs breathing down his neck doesn't help.

When Lolly gets jumped by gang members, he starts to feel that joining a gang might be easier and safer. It could offer him protection. But with the help of Legos, Lolly is able to place his feet on solid ground for once. Legos are a way for him to cope with everything, but it also opens up the possibilities of the different paths he can take in life. Joining a gang isn't the only option for him.

THE STARS BENEATH OUR FEET takes you through real world problems with the eyes of a ten-year-old. This was a slow paced, diverse read that seems realistic to the way a ten-year-old would react, including the dialogue.

Final Verdict: There is some sensitive issues in this book so be mindful. I would recommend this to more upper middle grade and YA. This read is perfect for today's society and I hope it'll help others cope with similar situations. This is well thought out story that opens your mind to how others react differently to real world problems.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Children of Exile
Rosi must decide what she’s willing to risk to save...

0.0 (0)
Teeth of the Gods
Chained to an enemy general. Determined to be free....

0.0 (0)
The Vampire Trick (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 3)
In a kingdom full of secrets, no one can...

0.0 (0)
I Am Alfonso Jones
Alfonso Jones can't wait to play the role of...

0.0 (0)
Unearthed
From the New York Times best-selling author duo Amie...

0.0 (0)
The Boyfriend Agreement
Fake boyfriends are hard work. When 16-year-old Bella’s dream...

0.0 (0)
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah have little in common...

0.0 (0)
Believarexic
Asking for help is only the first step. ...

0.0 (0)
Graveyard Shakes
Katia and Victoria are sisters and scholarship students at a...

0.0 (0)
Black Star Renegades
In the tradition of Star Wars, a galaxy-hopping space adventure...

0.0 (0)
This Tiny Perfect World
The big-hearted story of a small-town girl who discovers how...

0.0 (0)
The Last to Let Go
A twisted tragedy leaves Brooke and her siblings on their...

0.0 (0)
Pretty Dead Girls
Beautiful. Perfect. Dead. In the...

0.0 (0)
By a Charm and a Curse
A kiss is never just a kiss. ...

0.0 (0)
Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)
Booklist called Maresi “utterly satisfying and completely different from standard...

0.0 (0)
Blood Water Paint
Her mother died when she was twelve, and suddenly Artemisia...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Dragonkyn

"When Marc hits puberty, something inside of him starts to change. The first thing he notices is that heat doesn't..."
Children of Exile

"Rosi is twelve-years-old and she and the other children of Fredtown were taken from an unsafe situation with their birth..."
I Am Alfonso Jones

"Alfonso Jones is a bright teen who is excited to try out for Hamlet at his school. When he and..."
Believarexic

"BELIEVAREXIC is the fictionalized memoir of author JJ Johnson's stay in an eating disorder unit (EDU) in the 80s. The..."
This Tiny Perfect World

"Things that worked: The small town setting. Although it felt restrictive to the main character, a small town story often..."
The Traitor Prince

"An adventurous, accessible YA fantasy—with likely appeal for fans of An Ember In The Ashes. Based loosely on an..."
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone

"You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone was one of the last books I read in 2017 and I couldn't have..."
The Stars at Oktober Bend

"Alice Nightingale is broken. It's been three years since the horrific act that left her under the "spell of twelveness"--a..."
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All

"This is a collection of short stories told from the point of view of the wives of King Henry VIII...."
The Bone Sparrow

"Subhi is a refugee. Born in an Australian permanent detention center after his mother and sister fled the violence of..."
Turtles All the Way Down

"This book, no matter how extremely well written, is not for me. I read fiction to escape from reality. Green..."
A Short History of the Girl Next Door

"I've never read something that was written as if it's for a movie screenplay! WHAT I LIKED ..."
The Traitor Prince

"THE TRAITOR PRINCE is the latest installment in C.J. Redwine’s series of companion novels set in the Ravenspire world, each..."
My Name is Victoria

"Intriguing 'what if' look into what might have happened if Sir John Conway's daughter wasn't an enemy, but dear friend..."
Caraval

"I had heard a lot of hype surrounding this book and was not disappointed. Can't wait for the next book,..."
Unearthed

"Indiana Jones meets Myst on an alien planet. There's lots of tension when scavenger Amelia meets disgraced professor's son Jules..."
The Dazzling Heights

"I really enjoyed The Thousandth Floor last year, it was one of the books that surprised me with how much..."
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"When Leigh Bardugo and Wonder Woman collide, I expect great things. This was the first book release of the four..."
They Both Die at the End

"Adam Silvera is 3/3 at making me fall apart while reading his books. This one was very unique, each of..."
Fireblood (Frostblood #2)

"This sequel picked up not to long after Frostblood left off, with Arcus on the throne and Ruby attempting to..."