Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Little Wonders

>“Let us be elegant or die!”

I’d like to confess up front, I avoided reading this book for most of my life simply because of the title. It sounded so… painfully feminine. And as someone who’s struggled to make peace with their biological gender, I felt some sort of misplaced obligation to resist exposure to something that could so clearly hold no interest for me.

I was horrendously mistaken.

This is a sweeping family drama, set during the American Civil War. Languidly paced and often treading on the poetic side, it centers on the March family—specifically on the four young sisters who are all close in age—as they grow up throughout the book. There’s Meg, the kind and responsible eldest; Josephine, our tomboy protagonist (who happens to be based semi-autobiographically on the author herself); Beth, the quiet and virtuous; and Amy, the somewhat vain and more shallow-minded youngest of the four sisters. Their family is somewhat poor, and girls spend a good deal of their childhood coming up with interesting and artful methods of amusing/distracting themselves while their minister father goes off to serve Union soldiers as a chaplain.

I’m not really doing the characters any justice here, but it’s their growth, development, and chemistry that largely, and successfully, drove the narrative. There are undercurrents of empathy-building, imaginative fancy, gratefulness and optimism in the face of trials, along with a coming-of-age element experienced across several very different personalities within the same family unit.

For obvious reasons, I connected with the character of Jo from the very beginning. While the era, being what it was, would have made it particularly difficult to be a more independent and masculine-bent female, Jo had the benefit of the unconditional love and support of her family. Perhaps most significantly, she had an encouraging father who at no point made her feel limited by (or inferior on account of) her sex. Her struggle with herself, the world’s stifling expectations, and her own goals, is something most readers may be able to relate to.

“I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end.”

As a part of my needless resistance to this classic, I decided to listen to this one in audio book. I don’t regret that move. This particular narrator (Andrea Emmes) did a masterful (mistressful?) job of bringing the cast to life. With four sisters as main characters, I was concerned about not being able to tell voices apart. But Emmes made the experience into more of a richly layered auditory play than a simple reading.

Favorite Quotes:

*“I'd rather take coffee than compliments just now.”

* “There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.”

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Queen's Rising
Grave Mercy meets Red Queen in this epic debut fantasy,...

0.0 (0)
Game Change
Seventeen-year-old Zeb Holloway is happy to work in his...

0.0 (0)
Wilder Legacy
The life of a Guardian is a dangerous one,...

5.0 (1)
The Stars Beneath Our Feet
It’s Christmas Eve in Harlem, but twelve-year-old Lolly Rachpaul and...

0.0 (0)
Keeper - Matefinder Next Generation Book 1
Anya has inherited her mother's gift. Born in a...

0.0 (0)
Spies Like Me
Can she bring these girls together? When she discovers...

0.0 (0)
Royal Bastards
Being a bastard blows. Tilla would know. Her father,...

4.0 (2)
Before I Let Go
Days before Corey is to return home to the...

5.0 (1)
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends
From psychologist and children's friendships expert Eileen Kennedy-Moore and parenting...

0.0 (0)
Sword and Scion 01: Into the Dark Mountains
How lost one feels when his own character remains a...

4.9 (2)
The Pirates of Brisa (Wyrms of Pasandir #2)
When young Eskandar leaves his ship with the tough broomrider...

0.0 (0)
Building a Trade Empire (Wyrms of Pasandir #4)
Trade had been Shaw’s life, her dream, her future –...

0.0 (0)
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives
Books can change lives — and here are more than...

0.0 (0)
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals
In The Moonlight Meeting, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a...

0.0 (0)
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4
A group of veiled creatures--a chameleon, stick bugs and assorted...

0.0 (0)
In Sight of Stars
Seventeen-year-old Klee’s father was the center of his life. He...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Fallout

"What if the Cuban Missile Crisis had ended in a Soviet nuclear strike against the US? What if your..."

"A few popular kids in a rich high school disappeared. Is somebody out there set to make the rich and..."

"Str-S-d: Ill begin with Lucy. She is definitely first on the list. You cant believe how it feels to be..."

"Reader reviewed by Alisha In the Wave Mr. Ross starts a club with the students to communicate easier with each..."
Stolen Kisses, Secrets, and Lies (Mob Princess #2)

"Reader reviewed by bookworm Kate is so awesome. I love her character. She is so sweet. Randi really needs to..."

"Reader reviewed by Alexis I love this book. The Blessing and the Blatattrias Organizations are at it again. ..."

"Reader reviewed by lilponyrider4564 This book is about a teacher who conductes an experiment. This experiment is about how it..."

"Kate Blessing life as the daughter of a mob king continues in Mob Princess: Stolen Kisses, Secrets, and Lies. This..."
Impact Zone: Cut Back

"Reader reviewed by audo OH EM GEEE i loved this book i am a surfie and i love a good..."
How I Changed My Life

"Reader reviewed by Ruby After I finished this book, my adittude towards other people and myself changed. It was a..."
Impact Zone: Take Off

"Reader reviewed by KW Take Off, along with the rest of the series, was an amazing book. I couldn't help..."
Impact Zone: Cut Back

"Reader reviewed by KW This was another great book by Todd Strasser. It is the sequil to Impact Zone -..."

"Reader reviewed by kai the book is really interesting. it gives a more in sight to surfing ang surfers. the..."

"Reader reviewed by sara this book was a little funny but it was as good as the other ones like..."
Can't Get There from Here

"Reader reviewed by librariane Maybe is a street kidshes run away from an abusive homelife and is now part of..."

"Reader reviewed by Stephanie This book was funny. The main characters are Andy, Josh, Barry, Mrs. Rogers, Jake(narrator), and Principal..."

"Honestly, I didn't think I'd like this book much. I keep an open mind, but I am not a surfer,..."

"Reader reviewed by fleming Haunting at Home Plate was a great book. I personally thought it wasn't scary until..."

"Reader reviewed by Maria Kim There was one boy who was watching his brother playing baseball.He fell from high tree..."

"Reader reviewed by erik Haunting at Home Plate is a great book about a boy who loves baseball. The thing..."