Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

an entertaining tale that makes middle school seeem less awful

WHAT I LOVED:
Karma and the rest of the cast are flawed, well-drawn characters all too much like the soulless demons we all were in middle school. All of us. It's just a fact that every child loses their soul while they're in middle school and can only get it back upon entering high school. Anyway, after the new girl gets everyone started teasing Karma for the small mustache growing on her face, she turns to her faith as a way to cope with and rise above the bullying. Also, she ends up having a very bloody excursion with shaving that demonstrates why I prefer my hair removal lotion.

Honestly, putting into detail why Karma and her story enchanted me so is difficult. It's more easily spelled out in bulletpoint fashion: relatable situations like how much it sucks to lose your best friend as you start middle school, on-point humor, the frank way it deals with the rarely-talked-about issue of body hair, my desire to wrap Karma up in a blanket and keep her safe from the world...

Lemme tell you a story and I swear it has a point. In elementary and middle school, I had a bully named Kaely. We were in all the same classes and she always sat behind me due to adjacent surnames. Generally, I was terrible at effectively fighting back against my bullies, but after years of her grading my papers wrong. I was DONE by the time we hit eighth grade. The straw that broke my back was her dumping the dirt from her shoes all over my schoolbooks when we were in American History. (We had the desks you stored your stuff underneath in wire baskets and she used mine as a footrest.)

My solution: do what I usually do, which was ask her politely to stop. If she didn't, I'd just leeeeeeean down like I was going to get something from my stuff and stab her feet through the holes in her tennis shoes. These instances were the only times I ever took up any physical or verbal arms against a bully.

I do not recommend this course of action to anyone, but it demonstrates the situational courage I wanted to lend Karma and how much I cared about her. It only worked because I had the perfect conditions in place. The teacher absolutely loved me (it's always been like this with my teachers and I'm not sure why) and he did not like Kaely one little bit because she was a chatterbox. Therefore, when I'd strike back, he didn't do anything when she complained. Well, he did nothing until he moved her elsewhere solely because she wouldn't stop talking with her seat neighbors during class. Then my problem was solved!

WHAT LEFT ME WANTING:
The only way I don't recommend Karma Khullar's Mustache is if you're the type who is deeply affected by secondhand embarrassment. That may sounds a little odd, but I've met readers for whom secondhand embarrassment via a fictional character is a real problem that keeps them from reading a book--and Karma goes through a lot of embarrassing stuff. I'm not usually bothered by such things and even I had to put down the book sometimes because I was cringing so hard on Karma's behalf.

FINAL VERDICT:
No matter where your body hair falls on the spectrum of out of control (Karma's) to barely a problem (mine), Karma Khullar's Mustache is an entertaining tale that accomplishes the nigh-impossible by making you look back fondly on middle school. Body hair is still a pain and a half, but it course be worse. Like that time period blood stained the back of my pants thoroughly and no one told me until the end of the day. (At least no one teased me about it afterward. I suppose they draw a line somewhere.)

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Kai's summer changes when she gets a summer internship at...

4.3 (1)
Zoe is just your average teenage girl expecting another average,...

0.0 (0)
Frango & Chicken
Some things seem impossible, but with the right attitude and...

0.0 (0)
Ruby Lane
Ruby is overexcited again, and her brain is spinning creative...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Ghost
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a...

0.0 (0)
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice
A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into...

0.0 (0)
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
From the critically acclaimed author of Waiting for Normal and...

0.0 (0)
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde
Texas: 1931. It’s the height of the Great Depression, and...

0.0 (0)
Voyage of the Dogs
SOS. Ship damaged. Human crew missing. We are...

0.0 (0)
Flying in a Cage
A song tugs inside me, like a string pulling...

0.0 (0)
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!
The energetic and zany duo Shorty and Clem are back,...

0.0 (0)
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find
If you want to keep kids happily busy for hours...

0.0 (0)
Strange New World
Dahlia 16's life is a lie. The city of...

0.0 (0)
Like Never And Always
Liv Burnham thinks nobody knows Morgan Frost like she...

0.0 (0)
The Outcasts- The Blood Dagger: Volume 1
Mystical relics. Powerful vampires. Strange allies. It's hell being...

0.0 (0)
Ascent (A Peak Marcello Adventure #3)
After conquering the mountains in Afghanistan, Peak Marcello goes...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

"I can't wait to see where the next book goes!"
Sneaking Out

" ‘Sneaking Out’ is the first installment in the ‘Chase’ series. The setting is an elite New England..."
Bleeding Hearts

"The story: Nancy Miller is a poor, illiterate teenage girl scrounging out a meager living in Edinburgh. On the..."
All-American Liars

"'All-American Liars' by Emily Kazmierski shines a light on the lies people tell themselves and others to help save face..."

"A short and fun read. The story: Megera is in danger of having to leave her private school when..."
This Summer

"A sweet romance highlighting the fragile hearts of youth. The story: Hadley is determined to have a good summer..."
Emerge: The Heir (Immortals of Indriell Book 4)

"A shining star in a great series. The story: Picking up years after the last time we saw Allie..."
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice

"This is a collection of brief biographies of people who stood up and resisted injustices and tyranny. There's a little..."
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle

"Mason Buttle can't read all that well. And he sweats a lot. And writing isn't something he can do either...."
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde

"Bonnie Parker is waiting for Clyde to be released from prison. It's 1931 and she wants him to come..."
Voyage of the Dogs

"The Laika is on mission Stepping Stone, traveling outside the solar system to set up a new planet. In addition..."
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!

"'Shorty & Clem Blast Off!' by Michael Slack is a cute addition to Shorty and Clem's adventures. The first book..."
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find

"'Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things' by Gergely Dudas is for anyone who loves books like 'Where's Waldo?' Even adults..."
Here to Stay

"Bijan Majidi does okay in high school-- he has a good friend, Sean, is on the basketball team, and while..."
Funny Kid #2: Stand Up

"After his attempts to run for class president in Funny Kid for President, Max has decided that his identity is..."
Hiding Lies

"HIDING LIES is the second installment in the Eleanor Ames series. It begins with Ellie and Miles saying goodbye since..."
Yellow Submarine

"Twice upon a time, once in 1968 and once today, there was an unearthly paradise called Pepperland. In an elaboration..."
The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)

"Apollo, now known as a human teenager named Lester, must restore five Oracles that have gone dark in order to..."
Louie (The Puppy Place #51)

"The Petersons are working together to clean up a camp ground near Loon Lake, where they will be spending time..."
Spirit (The Puppy Place #50)

"Lizzie is very used to being around dogs, since her family fosters many of them, and has Buddy, their own..."