Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Tally Ho!

Kit and her father Rudy are moving from Montana to the posh Covington Academy in England where her father is the new equestrian supervisor. Kit is excited to be in a new country where no one knows about her embarrassing fall from a horse that has left her reluctant to get back on, and it's also a new adventure that her deceased mother would have embraced. The downside? Everyone at Covington rides, and the headmistress is a stickler for rules, which Kit, being an American, doesn't care much for. Kit's roommate, Anya, is very nice, as are several of the cute boys, but the head prefect, Elaine, is not happy to have Kit and her headstrong ways in her house. When Headmistress Covington wants to remove an unteachable, headstrong horse, Kit throws a fit and the horse is allowed to stay as long as Kit can bring the animal up to the competition level the school needs to defeat their rival. This, of course, is a rocky process, but with the help of her father and her new friends, Kit tries to train the horse and settle into her new life in England.

Good Points
Kit will amuse young readers who like to think that adults make silly rules. I personally think it would be fantastic to have a school uniform complete with blazer and pleated skirt with tights, but that's just me! Kit is irrepressible and tries to do what she thinks is right even if the adults in her life are not quite as sure about it.

Boarding school books are always fun, and Anya, who is hiding her background as a princess, is a character who could use more exploration. Nav and Josh are appealing boy characters who treat the girls as equals but are also willing to ask them to dances. Headmistress Covington is a rule follower, but is human enough to bend the rules when necessary. There is apparently a Nickelodeon television series called Ride, but the book can be enjoyed even by readers who are not familiar with it.

The details about horse riding are going to be the real pull. Horses who are underdogs always figure largely in books about equestrian pursuits, and TK's relationship with Kit will have readers rooting for him to stay at Covington. Readers who enjoyed Hapka's Ponies of Chincoteague, Smiley's The Georges and the Jewels or Burkhart's Wild Hearts will find it easy to get back in the saddle with Kit Meets Covington.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Sword and Scion 01: Into the Dark Mountains
How lost one feels when his own character remains a...

0.0 (0)
The Pirates of Brisa (Wyrms of Pasandir #2)
When young Eskandar leaves his ship with the tough broomrider...

0.0 (0)
Building a Trade Empire (Wyrms of Pasandir #4)
Trade had been Shaw’s life, her dream, her future –...

0.0 (0)
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives
Books can change lives — and here are more than...

0.0 (0)
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals
In The Moonlight Meeting, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a...

0.0 (0)
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4
A group of veiled creatures--a chameleon, stick bugs and assorted...

0.0 (0)
In Sight of Stars
Seventeen-year-old Klee’s father was the center of his life. He...

0.0 (0)
The Bokkaners of the North (Wyrms of Pasandir #3)
Against all odds, Eskandar and his bunch of ragtag youngsters...

0.0 (0)
The Road to Kalbakar (Wyrms of Pasandir #1)
Seventeen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Air and Ash (TIDES Book 1)
Master and Commander meets Sarah J Maas in a...

0.0 (0)
The Wolf Hour
Welcome, my little lambs, to the Puszcza. It's an...

0.0 (0)
The Dragon Orb
The fate of a kingdom rests on the shoulders...

0.0 (0)
Fragile Chaos
A GOD OF WAR SEEKING RESTORATION. AN UNWILLING SACRIFICIAL...

0.0 (0)
Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons #2)
Before he was Batman, he was Bruce Wayne. A...

0.0 (0)
Nice Try, Jane Sinner
The only thing 17-year-old Jane Sinner hates more than...

0.0 (0)
I Love You Like a Pig
From the acclaimed bestselling author of Extra Yarn and Sam...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Year Santa Stubbed His Toe

"Santa has always been there to deliver gifts to the good boys and girls around the world, but this year,..."
Alicia and the Light Bulb People in Star Factory 13

N/A
"Have you ever noticed how people are like light bulbs? They come in many sizes and shapes, varying in their..."
Felipe Femur

"While this book in occupied by a cast of monsters, it is far from scary. It is also not solely..."
The Crystal Of Atum. Aki and the Spheres of Time #3

"I am so pleased by The Crystal of Atum. I love Aki and the Spheres of Time series. This book..."
The Crystal Of Atum. Aki and the Spheres of Time #3

"This is Aki’s third trip with the Sphere of Time. As usual, he ends up nowhere near the spot where..."
City of Grit and Gold

"'City of Grit and Gold' by Maud Macrory Powell offers a glimpse into the lives of those who came from..."
Good Boy, Achilles!

"Very nice book."
The Pathway to Dragons: The Portal to Pyranis

"'The Pathway to Dragons: The Portal to Pyranis' by Hannah Hoffman is more than your run-of-the-mill fantasy story. When Billy..."
Keys To The Sun

"‘Keys to the Sun’ tells the adventures of two brothers, Lucas and Parker Chase. They are in New Orléans to..."
Death, Diamonds, And Dirty Socks Series:  Cheating Death:  Book 3

"Jarod's tenure as Lord Greenwood gets even more complicated when he and Tommy figure out that each object has information..."
Death, Diamonds, And Dirty Socks Series:  Mischief Before Mastery:  Book 2

"Since Jarod was made Lord Kentwood, his extended family is being kept at the mansion for fear that someone will..."
Death, Diamonds, And Dirty Socks Series: Priceless Inheritance:  Book 1

"Jarod's dysfunctional family is gathered for the reading of his grandfather's will. Jarod misses his grandfather, but the other are..."
The Crystal Of Nammu. Aki and the Spheres of Time #2

"I had great expectations for the second installment of the series Aki and the Spheres of Time and I enjoy..."
The Crystal Of Yggdrasil. Aki and the Spheres of Time #1

"An amazing surprise. Finished in almost one sitting. This should give an idea about how surprising it was. This is..."
The Crystal Of Nammu. Aki and the Spheres of Time #2

"This book is very entertaining with engaging characters and surprises at every turn. It was action packed, lots of fun,..."

"This book is nothing short of phenomenal. It truly feels like 4 books in one. It is the kind of..."
The Crystal Of Yggdrasil. Aki and the Spheres of Time #1

"Aki knows he has the strange ability to communicate with animals by reading their minds, but he is about to..."
Death, Diamonds, And Dirty Socks Series:  Vessel Of Safety:  Book 6

"Reader review of the series from Amazon: "By Pratt on December 2, 2015 I have read all..."
Death, Diamonds, And Dirty Socks Series:  The Protected:  Book 5

"Reader review on the series from Amazon: "By Thatch on February 4, 2016 Wonderful read..."
Death, Diamonds, And Dirty Socks Series:  Solomon's Ring:  Book 4

"Reader Review on the series from Amazon: "By R.B. on May 22, 2014 I loved this..."