Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Creepy and so so weird

If you know me you know that I absolutely love retellings, so when I requested this book I was expecting a pretty typical twisted retelling, but this book was so far from anything I imagined. We have our usual fairy tale characters Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Rapunzel, etc. but add in zombies, and vampires. BEANSTALKER AND OTHER HILARIOUS SCARYTALES is told in third person mostly following Jack as he tries to escape vampires and zombies.

This book was so weirdly amazing and so far outside the realm of any retelling, I’ve ever read before. It was hard not to like it. The characters were so unlike any I’d ever seen, the stories were very much reminiscent of the fairy tales we all know but completely fresh and new. And the way Kiersten narrates this book was so hilariously done. What I loved with the narration was how we got to see each character along with the hysterical tidbits Kiersten threw in throughout the book. The easy flow of the story along with the illustrations made it so hard to put down. It’s something that I think kids will get a kick out of. Another thing I really quite enjoyed was the way Kiersten used homonyms to really throw in some confusing and downright disgusting mix-ups.

These characters were the weirdest and also I kind of need more of them. We have Vampire Snow White and zombie Red Riding Hood. Cinderella and Prince Charming can both set things on fire. I mean these characters were just so different from anything I’ve read and I loved it. Also, I need a complete story of Prince Charming and Cinderella controlling fire, because… reasons. Mostly we follow Jack from village to village as he tries and fails to help those around him. I have to say in the beginning I did not like Jack, he is quite the trouble maker and he kept making messes for someone else to clean up. Not cool Jack. But after awhile he actually started to grow on me. He was funny and he had some boneheaded moments but in the end, he was just trying to help others. The ending is what really had me hoping for more. The way they fixed everything but may have just ended up causing more problems will be interesting to see.

If we do end up getting more I would love to see Prince Charming and Cinderella a bit more. I think it would be so cool to get to know them more. Overall this book was everything I wanted but nothing I was expecting. Funny, disgusting, and interesting, I couldn’t put it down. I can’t wait to see more from this world and what kind of trouble Jack might get into next. And if it’s any indication from that ending it’s gonna be BIG.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Children of Exile
Rosi must decide what she’s willing to risk to save...

0.0 (0)
Teeth of the Gods
Chained to an enemy general. Determined to be free....

0.0 (0)
The Vampire Trick (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 3)
In a kingdom full of secrets, no one can...

0.0 (0)
I Am Alfonso Jones
Alfonso Jones can't wait to play the role of...

0.0 (0)
Unearthed
From the New York Times best-selling author duo Amie...

0.0 (0)
The Boyfriend Agreement
Fake boyfriends are hard work. When 16-year-old Bella’s dream...

0.0 (0)
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah have little in common...

0.0 (0)
Believarexic
Asking for help is only the first step. ...

0.0 (0)
Graveyard Shakes
Katia and Victoria are sisters and scholarship students at a...

0.0 (0)
Black Star Renegades
In the tradition of Star Wars, a galaxy-hopping space adventure...

0.0 (0)
This Tiny Perfect World
The big-hearted story of a small-town girl who discovers how...

0.0 (0)
The Last to Let Go
A twisted tragedy leaves Brooke and her siblings on their...

0.0 (0)
Pretty Dead Girls
Beautiful. Perfect. Dead. In the...

0.0 (0)
By a Charm and a Curse
A kiss is never just a kiss. ...

0.0 (0)
Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)
Booklist called Maresi “utterly satisfying and completely different from standard...

0.0 (0)
Blood Water Paint
Her mother died when she was twelve, and suddenly Artemisia...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Top Ten Clues You're Clueless

"THE RUN-DOWN Chloe, who has a bit of an obsession with making lists, gets to work the early shift..."

"What I Liked: The big difference here is that where Ask Again Later was primarily a romance, I’d say that..."

"Chloe is working the 6:30 a.m. shift at the GoodFoods market on Christmas Eve. Saying her day isn't going well..."

"Chloe has to work at GoodFoods on the Christmas eve and that wasn't all that bad since all the employees..."
Ask Again Later

"What I Loved: Sometimes you just really need something light and fun and adorable and ASK AGAIN LATER really delivers..."
Ask Again Later

"THE RUN-DOWN Heart has no interest in romance and plans to spend prom with her friends as the No..."
Ask Again Later

"[Featured on my blog here: http://thebibliohphile.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/ask-again-later-by-liz-czukas/] 3.5/5 Happy (belated) Valentine’s Day! And in the true spirit of loving..."
Ask Again Later

"3.5 I wanted to read Ask Again Later because it sounded like a cute read and I..."
Ask Again Later

"What I Loved: Dear friends, I want to push this book on you if you love fluffy things. And banter...."