Review Detail

Kids Fiction
(Updated: July 30, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Plankton Learns A Lesson

A quick and comical read, rife with sarcasm.

A particular plankton is used to eliciting a response from every sea creature it encounters. So when a mulish muscle refuses to respond to its greeting, the plankton can’t just let it go. First the plankton gets louder. Then it tries persistence. When that doesn’t pay off, it progresses to impatient prompting. And then begging, followed by condescension. In the end, Plankton receives a snappish lesson in social graces.

The book’s artwork is vivid, cartoonish, and playful—full of demonstrative poses and expressions on simple near-pastel backgrounds that will clearly convey emotion to even the youngest range of readers. The font is large and sparsely spaced out, making it more ideal for the earliest readers, but with a “biting” humor older kids may better grasp.

Unfortunately, the copy I received for review was unbound. So I can’t comment about the quality of its cover. Also unfortunately, my daughter dropped the book before we had a chance to open it, and much time was spent trying to sort out the loose pages into the right order (which I’m still not entirely sure we accomplished.)

All in all, a potential visual training aid for kids who have trouble knowing when to leave well enough alone. Painlessly humorous for parents!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

I Am Alfonso Jones
Alfonso Jones can't wait to play the role of Hamlet...

0.0 (0)
Believarexic
Asking for help is only the first step. ...

0.0 (0)
Graveyard Shakes
Katia and Victoria are sisters and scholarship students at a...

0.0 (0)
This Tiny Perfect World
The big-hearted story of a small-town girl who discovers how...

0.0 (0)
The Last to Let Go
A twisted tragedy leaves Brooke and her siblings on their...

0.0 (0)
Pretty Dead Girls
Beautiful. Perfect. Dead. In the...

0.0 (0)
By a Charm and a Curse
A kiss is never just a kiss. ...

0.0 (0)
Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)
Booklist called Maresi “utterly satisfying and completely different from standard...

0.0 (0)
Blood Water Paint
Her mother died when she was twelve, and suddenly Artemisia...

0.0 (0)
Chausiku Nightmare of the Clans Book One
There are six secret clans across the world–Africa (Sakombi clan),...

0.0 (0)
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah have little in common besides...

0.0 (0)
Roar of the Thunder Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #8)
Pick a book. Grow a Reader! ...

0.0 (0)
The Stars at Oktober Bend
Beautiful, lyrical prose, told in two voices, lifts up a...

0.0 (0)
In The Snow
Simple and evocative language and charming illustrations describe a girl's...

0.0 (0)
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All
The tragic lives of Henry VIII and his six wives...

0.0 (0)
Nia, a teenage girl seeks revenge on her cheating...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Dragonfly Song

"Aissa is the first-born daughter of the Lady of an island, and as such she should be raised in a..."
The Monstrous Child

"THIS MONSTROUS CHILD is about how Hel, a young teenage girl came to rule the underworld and how she and..."
The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels #1)

"This is the first instalment in the bestselling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. The first two books have even..."
Merrow

"“Life is not fussy about where it grows, but it is set on doing so.” Writing this review won’t..."
Let the Wind Rise (Sky Fall #3)

"4.4 stars! Awesome series! Filled with a lot of action and an interesting plot. I really enjoyed the first book..."
Yo-Kai Watch: The Misadventures of Jibanyan

"A fantastic little book for fans of the Yo-Kai Watch animated series and games! This chapter book follows..."
For Magnus Chase: Hotel Valhalla Guide to the Norse Worlds (An Official Rick Riordan Companion Book)

"A quick, whimsical companion guide to the Magnus Chase world; this book presents Norse mythos on a middle-grade level, yet..."
Yo-Kai Watch: Official Guide

"All fans of the Yo-Kai Watch world must have this great guide to the world of yo-kai! A..."
Persuasion

"Persuasion is the sequel to the phenomenal book Compulsion about a young girl who has the ability to "find" lost..."
I Am Tama, Lucky Cat: A Japanese Legend

"Beautiful illustrations and lyrical prose tell the legend of the "maneki neko" or lucky cat of Japanese folklore. ..."
Valkyrie Rising

" Ellie goes to Norway to visit her grandmother for a part of the summer. There she learns about the..."
Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)

"What I Loved: I really enjoy Heather Demetrios’ books and her writing style so I was very excited to..."
One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree

"One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree is a whimsical story of a very clever boy who gets eaten by..."
White is for Witching

"White is for Witching is a weird little story, and at the same time, it strikes a chord that anyone..."
Awaken (Abandon #3)

AshAsh
"Nice action, honestly. Funny, the only thing I really liked was one small quote Pierce's mama said. "'Oh no,'..."
Kith (The Good Neighbors Book 2)

"If you want a dark and twisty graphic novel, The Good Neighbors trilogy is right for you. Holly black creates..."
A Sliver of Stardust (Book 1)

"In Marissa Burt's latest novel, she creates an original new world full of magic and adventure. Wren Matthews is the..."
Pure (Covenant #2)

"Where do I even start!? This book just blows the first one right out the water! I thought this series..."
Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)

"Reading EXQUISITE CAPTIVE is like watching a really good and frightening horror movie. You scream at the naive girl to..."
Fury

"MY THOUGHTS This was a very thrilling books and I easily sped through it! It has a thriller, horror vibe..."