Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Henry Reed for the New Millenium

In this sequel to Teddy Mars: Almost a Record Breaker and Teddy Mars: Almost a Winner, big changes are coming to the Mars household. Ms. Mars has gotten a job as an animal control officer since Jake (the Destructor) will be heading to kindergarten. To help out with the transition over the summer, Great Aunt Ursula will be staying with the family. Teddy is not a fan of Ursula and her rules, but there is no denying that a family with seven children might need some help to adjust to this change. Teddy is concerned about having to take care of Jake, who is prone to doing things like living in the cat box or walking around in a shirt festooned with tin cans. It makes sense that his teacher assigns him to be a buddy with Jake the following year, but Teddy doesn't have to be happy about it. He does love his teacher, Ms. Raffeli, and is glad to be working on a mural project with her and his friends over the summer. Once Ursula moves in, things start to change. For one, she has a small dog named Peanut to whom Jake takes a shine. Jake also starts to weave potholders and to behave. Other siblings help out with housework and are persuaded by Ursula to give up their most annoying behaviors. It doesn't work as well with Teddy-- he and friends Lonnie and Viva are determined to break a world record even though Ursula would rather they mow the lawn or clean the basement. When Teddy's mother's job is at odds with the Grumpy Pigeon Man's pigeons, Teddy must try to look outside of himself for ways to help his friend and the pigeons for whom he cares.

Good Points

Teddy is an exuberant characters with a lot of endearing qualities. He's not a bad kid, just a typical one who would rather be playing with his friends rather than doing chores. He is annoyed by his younger brother, but wants to try to help him. He's not pleased that his mother won't be at home, but is glad that she is proud of her new job, and really wants her to be happy. The other characters in the book are portrayed in a realistic fashion as well. It is unusual to see a family with this many children in modern middle grade literature, but the realities of having a large family are sympathetically addressed.

Interspersed with Teddy's exploits are his attempts at breaking records as well as details about records that are already in the books. The Guinness Book of World Records is perennially popular with elementary and middle school students, and gives this series an additional selling point.

Like many humorous series with boys as the main character, Teddy Mars mixes the goofy with the sympathetic in a way that will appeal to readers who would be right at home at a cafeteria table with Byar's Bingo Brown, Danziger's Matthew Martin, Dowell's Phineas L. MacGuire, Harley's Charlie Bumpers or Weeks' Regular Guy.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wesley James Ruined My Life
Sixteen-year-old Quinn Hardwick’s having a rough summer. Her beloved grandmother...

0.0 (0)
Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
Once upon a time, a girl skipped into the forest...

0.0 (0)
Obsidian and Stars
In the sequel to Ivory and Bone—the prehistoric fantasy...

0.0 (0)
Maybe In Paris
Keira Braidwood lands in Paris with her autistic brother,...

0.0 (0)
Revolt: Book Four of the Resistance Series
The Explosive Conclusion to the Award-Winning Resistance Series To...

0.0 (0)
16 Ways to Break A Heart
Unfolding through letters, texts, and chats, Lauren Strasnick’s smart,...

0.0 (0)
Changes in Latitudes
A "road" trip romance that takes place at sea!...

0.0 (0)
First We Were IV
A group of friends start a secret society in...

0.0 (0)
Orphan is the highly anticipated sequel in the ORB trilogy....

0.0 (0)
The World Between the Trees
Jake Hunter has disappeared without a trace and when his...

0.0 (0)
Jupiter Storm
Only a week ago Grey Alexander thought she and her...

0.0 (0)
Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone
After being picked on at school yet again, Alison Henry...

0.0 (0)
Unbecoming
Three women. Three generations. Three secrets. ...

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Cruise
Ainsley never wanted to spend her summer on a fairy...

0.0 (0)
Eliza and Her Monsters
Her story is a phenomenon. Her life is a disaster....

5.0 (1)
Tilly Greenway and the Secrets of the Ancient Keys, Book Two - The Hidden Hand
The second book in the exciting Tilly Greenway series! ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"Possible spoilers ahead. Angelfall is most definitely a unique story with a dark twist on angels and the apocalypse..."
172 Hours on the Moon

"172 Hours on the Moon was an interesting novel. It was full of suspense, thrills, and horror. The author crafted..."
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"This book follows Penryn, a young girl living in a dystopian world where angels have conquered the world and have..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"Rose Hathaway and Princess Valissa Dragomir must uncover the mysteries going on in St. Vladamir's Academy and their world. St...."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy #1)

"This is is not very good but for some reason I kind of enjoyed it. It's going to be one..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"Anna's father decides he's going to send Anna to a international boarding school in Paris. It's her senior year and..."
Allegiant (Divergent #3)

"The Divergent series comes to an end as Tris, Tobias and the gang venture outside the fence. This was another..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"4.5 stars! Action packed and filled with humor, the Vampire Academy series is a great read for teens. Richelle Mead..."
Ready Player One

[email protected]
"I have to say that I think this will be a must read for everyone although I think that those..."
Wake (Watersong #1)

"This book is really good! I loved it so much and I can't wait to read more of the series!..."
Anywhere But Here

"I really enjoyed this book. It was very interesting. It always kept you wondering what was gonna happen next. Cole..."
The Fire Horse Girl

"A captivating gem of a story—an absolute treasure. I hated having to put it down to attend to ‘real life,’..."
Falling (Fade Series #2)

"Kailin Gow proves to be a master storyteller in Fade. This book series won the Benjamin Franklin Silver Honor Award..."
Fever (Fade #4)

"Kailin Gow proves to be a master storyteller in Fade. This book series won the Benjamin Franklin Silver Honor Award..."
Fade (Fade Series #1)

"Kailin Gow proves to be a master storyteller in Fade. This book series won the Benjamin Franklin Silver Honor..."
Shrapnel

"Intriguing story, great cast of characters, and a historical haunting make for a suspenseful read. "
If He Had Been with Me

"I would read it over and over again. This would be an amazing movie tbh"
Awaken (Abandon #3)

AshAsh
"Nice action, honestly. Funny, the only thing I really liked was one small quote Pierce's mama said. "'Oh no,'..."