Review Detail

Kids Fiction
(Updated: June 16, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Authentic Voice

Lester's father was an astronaut who was killed during a mission, so he has been raised and home schooled by his mother. When his mother gets a job at the local public library, Lester is thrilled because he loves to spend time there, but she tells him that instead, he will have to go to school. Lester has a lot of trouble with this-- he gets hungry and is not allowed a snack, he can't study what he wants when he wants to, noises overwhelm him, and the other children, picking up on his odd behavior, are mean to him. There is one girl, Abby Chin, who is friendly to him and tries to help him navigate the difficult waters of fifth grade. Abby had won the science fair the year before, and Lester is very excited about the fair, especially when his mother finally gives him permission to do a flight themed project instead of one on plants. When a new girl arrives and Abby starts to hang out with her, Lester's behavior becomes more erratic. Luckily, the school tests him and finally delivers a diagnosis so that Lester can get the help and support that he needs.

Good Points
This had a very authentic voice, and Lester's behaviors are ones that I see all of the time at school from our children in the autism spectrum unit. The story moved along nicely, and the characters were all realistic and engaging. I particularly liked how the classroom teacher wasn't thrilled to have Lester, but made sure that he got the attention he needed. Actually, the reactions of the staff were all spot on. They were surprised at first, but once they realized what was going on with Lester, started the process of getting him help.

It seemed unlikely that Lester's mother would not have figured out that he was on the autism spectrum before he started school, but this has certainly happened before. It was much more common fifteen years ago, but since Lester was home schooled, it makes sense that his mother might not have had a wider range of experience with children's behavior.

This will be good to use with Baskin's Anything but Typical and other titles with characters who are on the autism spectrum. There are a number of good books on this topic, including Choldenko's Al Capone Does My Shirts, Dowd's The London Eye Mystery, Lord's Rules, Mackel's The Silence of Murder and McGovern's Chester and Gus.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San...

0.0 (0)
Tracker's Canyon
Thanks to his dad’s coaching, sixteen-year-old Tristan is one...

0.0 (0)
Book of Fire
Life outside the domes is not possible. At least...

0.0 (0)
This Body Won't Break
The truth doesn’t always set you free. Orphaned as...

0.0 (0)
Gears of Fate
Centuries have passed since the Fey conquered Earth, forcing...

0.0 (0)
Mother Cary's Butter Knife (Shadows & Light)
The smallest of three brothers, Keenan Mowat had a priceless...

0.0 (0)
A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
Did you know that the earth is covered in three...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Alicia and the Light Bulb People in Star Factory 13
Where do light bulbs go when they burn out? ...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2)

"Possible spoilers ahead. "You're a hero, Penryn, whether you like it or not." This will be a short..."
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"Possible spoilers ahead. Angelfall is most definitely a unique story with a dark twist on angels and the apocalypse..."
The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones

"The first book in the world famous The Mortal Instruments series the City of Bones definitely lives up the hype...."

"This book follows Penryn, a young girl living in a dystopian world where angels have conquered the world and have..."
The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones

"I first read this series years ago before the third one had even come out and I loved them! They..."
Angels in the Dark

"List of all 7 stories: What Happened to Trevor Arriane's Day Out Daniel in L.A. Miles in the Dark..."
Boundless (Unearthly #3)

"I will definitely read any and all future Cynthia Hand books."
Dark Rising: Book Two of the Archangel Prophecies

"Many thanks to NetGalley, Greenleaf Book Group and River Grove Books for granting me a copy of this book. ..."
Dark Hope: Book One of the Archangel Prophecies

"I have received a free copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and Greenleaf Book Group in exchange for an..."
Fate (Drift saga book #4)

"This is the 4th book in the Drift saga. Great read for young ones and adults alike."
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

"This book is so incredible, yet so difficult to describe. It is told through the eyes of teenage Ava..."

"This book was on sale in Amazon.com so I decided, why not buy it. My best friend enjoyed it, so..."
World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2)

"Just like the first book, I loved "World After" Penryn was a badass and Raffe was enjoyable per usual. I..."
Fallen

"Although this book is a little clichéd in places I still really liked it. The romance is ramped up more..."
Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles #2)

"What I Liked: First things first, you should know that Lenore is one of my besties. I know some people..."

"Whoa. This is pretty much everything I love rolled into one book. I don't know why it took me so..."
A Shimmer of Angels

"A Shimmer Of Angels is about this girl named Rayna who has spent three years locked away at the loony..."
Angel Burn (Angel #1)

" it totally drew me in i became invested and when it all fell apart i almost cried kudos to..."

"My love affair with magical realism continues. There is just something that’s more fantastical about the real world we live..."

""Love makes us such fools." Ava Lavender’s family has a history of tragic love stories. Her great-grandmother, Maman; grandmother,..."