Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Goofy historical romp

After the adventures in Benjamin Franklin: A Huge Pain in My A**, Ike is worried about a letter he has gotten from his famous friend from the past... it says "Help!" Of course, now that mail can travel back in time with old postage stamps, Ike has his (now) girlfriend Claire send him back to Franklin. He ends up near the mailbox on Franklin's porch, but the house has been burned down. Immediately noticing that his clothing will make him suspicious, Ike gets himself outfitted with suitable garments and goes in search of Franklin to find out what is wrong. He finds his friend without money, so the two set up a snake oil business to fleece local coal miners out of their money to "cure" their black lung. Once they have a bit of cash, they manage to book passage to France, since Franklin's need for help stems from the increasing problems with the British. On the boat, the two meet Jefferson and Adams, and head off for an audience with Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. Because they'd spent most of the trip inland eating oysters and drinking champagne, they all become violently ill right when they have the audience, and it's up to Ike to save the day. Will his impassioned speech be enough to get the colonists help and save his time from being wildly different?

Good Points

This is a goofy take on history that will be popular with fans of Kinney's Wimpy Kid and other irreverent middle grade books which celebrate potty humor and unlikely heroes. Ike is interested to travel back in time but doesn't have too much of a concept of what language and manners he should embrace, so he frequently angers people he meets. He refers to Franklin as B-Freezy, for example, and almost blows the audience with Antoinette before settling down and trying to fit in.

One of the best parts about this is Claire's letters from the "future"; she informs him that things are not going well, but also keeps an eye on any historical anomaly's that crop up. Once Ike returns, there are a few things that are different, which is a bit of an unusual turn for a time travel book.

Fans of Potter's The Left Behinds and Limbaugh's Rush Revere books will want to pick up these two books. For more accurate historical content, they can investigate Gutman's Flashback Four or Qwerty Stevens time travel books.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wesley James Ruined My Life
Sixteen-year-old Quinn Hardwick’s having a rough summer. Her beloved grandmother...

0.0 (0)
Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
Once upon a time, a girl skipped into the forest...

0.0 (0)
Obsidian and Stars
In the sequel to Ivory and Bone—the prehistoric fantasy...

0.0 (0)
Maybe In Paris
Keira Braidwood lands in Paris with her autistic brother,...

0.0 (0)
Revolt: Book Four of the Resistance Series
The Explosive Conclusion to the Award-Winning Resistance Series To...

0.0 (0)
16 Ways to Break A Heart
Unfolding through letters, texts, and chats, Lauren Strasnick’s smart,...

0.0 (0)
Changes in Latitudes
A "road" trip romance that takes place at sea!...

0.0 (0)
First We Were IV
A group of friends start a secret society in...

0.0 (0)
Orphan is the highly anticipated sequel in the ORB trilogy....

0.0 (0)
The World Between the Trees
Jake Hunter has disappeared without a trace and when his...

0.0 (0)
Jupiter Storm
Only a week ago Grey Alexander thought she and her...

0.0 (0)
Alison Henry and the Creatures of Torone
After being picked on at school yet again, Alison Henry...

0.0 (0)
Unbecoming
Three women. Three generations. Three secrets. ...

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Cruise
Ainsley never wanted to spend her summer on a fairy...

0.0 (0)
Eliza and Her Monsters
Her story is a phenomenon. Her life is a disaster....

5.0 (1)
Tilly Greenway and the Secrets of the Ancient Keys, Book Two - The Hidden Hand
The second book in the exciting Tilly Greenway series! ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"Possible spoilers ahead. Angelfall is most definitely a unique story with a dark twist on angels and the apocalypse..."
172 Hours on the Moon

"172 Hours on the Moon was an interesting novel. It was full of suspense, thrills, and horror. The author crafted..."
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"This book follows Penryn, a young girl living in a dystopian world where angels have conquered the world and have..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"Rose Hathaway and Princess Valissa Dragomir must uncover the mysteries going on in St. Vladamir's Academy and their world. St...."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy #1)

"This is is not very good but for some reason I kind of enjoyed it. It's going to be one..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"Anna's father decides he's going to send Anna to a international boarding school in Paris. It's her senior year and..."
Allegiant (Divergent #3)

"The Divergent series comes to an end as Tris, Tobias and the gang venture outside the fence. This was another..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"4.5 stars! Action packed and filled with humor, the Vampire Academy series is a great read for teens. Richelle Mead..."
Ready Player One

[email protected]
"I have to say that I think this will be a must read for everyone although I think that those..."
Wake (Watersong #1)

"This book is really good! I loved it so much and I can't wait to read more of the series!..."
Anywhere But Here

"I really enjoyed this book. It was very interesting. It always kept you wondering what was gonna happen next. Cole..."
The Fire Horse Girl

"A captivating gem of a story—an absolute treasure. I hated having to put it down to attend to ‘real life,’..."
Falling (Fade Series #2)

"Kailin Gow proves to be a master storyteller in Fade. This book series won the Benjamin Franklin Silver Honor Award..."
Fever (Fade #4)

"Kailin Gow proves to be a master storyteller in Fade. This book series won the Benjamin Franklin Silver Honor Award..."
Fade (Fade Series #1)

"Kailin Gow proves to be a master storyteller in Fade. This book series won the Benjamin Franklin Silver Honor..."
Shrapnel

"Intriguing story, great cast of characters, and a historical haunting make for a suspenseful read. "
If He Had Been with Me

"I would read it over and over again. This would be an amazing movie tbh"
Awaken (Abandon #3)

AshAsh
"Nice action, honestly. Funny, the only thing I really liked was one small quote Pierce's mama said. "'Oh no,'..."