Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Hang onto your griffin! It's another wild ride.

Apollo, disguised as the mortal Lester Papadopolous, is traveling with Leo and Calypso after their adventures in Trials of Apollo. They are searching for Meg, Apollo's demigod master, and their search has taken them to Indianapolis. There, they are attacked by extremely polite but terrifying blemmyae, and seek refuge in the Waystation, which is protected by Emmie and Jo, who were both Hunters for Artemis but had to leave because of their romance. They are upset because their daughter Georgina has been taken by one of the triumvirate, and before they will help Apollo in his quest, ask that he save two of their griffins and find Georgina. Britomartis, a minor deity with whom Apoloo has had dealings in the past, offers to help, and the group is off to the Indianapolis zoo to use magic tater tots to get the griffins home. Lityerses, a minion of the "new Hercules" who is trying to take over Indianapolis, is out to get Apollo, but eventually ends up on his side. Once Georgina is found, it is determined that her memory has been impaired, and Apollo must find the throne of Mnemosyne to help restore it. This involves another quest, which also helps determine that Apollo must travel to the case of his son Trophinus to receive his prophecy before the forces of evil can receive theirs. Meg shows up and helps him with this, but because she doesn't properly prepare herself, her mind is addled. Trophinus is still angry over the treatment that he received from his father, so makes it more difficult for him to get the prophecy, but eventually delivers it. Apollo returns to the Waystation with Meg so that she can be healed, but the journey isn't over yet. A character from one of the other books shows up at the very end to take Apollo and Meg through the Labyrinth so that they can complete their mission.

Good Points
Riordan's plots are also richly convoluted, even though they follow a comfortable formula: there is a mission that involves several quests that involve traveling, there are small fights along the way, and eventually there is a bit battle that informs the characters' next movements. These fast paced plots keep the pages turning at a furious rate, but they aren't the best part of Riordan's books.

Descriptions like Apollo being cursed with "a case of acne that would not respond to over-the-counter medicine" or random facts like the 3 Mile Island disaster being caused by an epic chainsaw fight between Hephaestus and Ares, caused by an insult to Ares bell-bottom jeans, or even phrases like "battle ukelele" are brilliantly delightful. I find myself not paying much attention to the plot because I just want to swim in the wonderful stream of words and phrases.

The other wonderful part of Riordan's writing is his inclusion of very obscure mythological characters, and the way that he manages to work their mythological story into his own. There is a glossary of characters and words at the back of the book that is very helpful, but I always feel like I need to have a copy of Edith Hamilton next to me so that I can refresh my memory of some of the stories. I hope that younger readers will be similarly inclined.

When The Lightning Thief came out in 2005, I (as a former Latin teacher) was thrilled just to have ONE middle grade book about mythology. Now there are multiple series by Mr. Riordan, as well as books by Anne Ursu, K.L. Armstrong, Zoe Marriott and many other authors, covering the mythology of different cultures. Not only that, put Riordan has been given a Disney-Hyperion imprint, Rick Riordan Presents, that will showcase adventures that include the folklore of different cultures.

Give Riordan books to anyone who loves mythology, action, or just a really good, well-turned phrase!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Pretend She's Here
Mega-bestselling author Luanne Rice returns with a ripped-from-the-headlines story of...

0.0 (0)
You Made Me a Dad
In this touching celebration of fatherhood, the close bond between...

0.0 (0)
Cicada
Cicada tells the story of a hardworking little cicada who...

0.0 (0)
Captured: An American Prisoner of War in North Vietnam
Naval aviator Jeremiah Denton was shot down and captured in...

0.0 (0)
Swap'd
After her Click'd catastrophe, Allie Navarro is determined to redeem...

0.0 (0)
When Karen sprints into Stick Dog’s pipe and declares an...

0.0 (0)
Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Ruff vs. Fluff (Queenie & Arthur #1)
From the outside, Queenie the cat and...

0.0 (0)
Yay for Vaycay! (Pug Pals #2)
The pugs are packing their bags! ...

0.0 (0)
Braced
Rachel Brooks is excited for the new school year. She's...

0.0 (0)
Focused
Clea can't control her thoughts. She knows she has to...

0.0 (0)
Where the Heart Is
It’s the first day of summer and Rachel's thirteenth birthday....

0.0 (0)
Because of the Rabbit
On the last night of summer, Emma...

0.0 (0)
Secret Soldiers: How the U.S. Twenty-Third Special Troops Fooled the Nazis
In his third book about deception during war, Paul B....

0.0 (0)
The Light Jar
Nate and his mother are running away. Fleeing from an...

0.0 (0)
Game of Stars  (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #2)
When the Demon Queen shows up in her bedroom, smelling...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Everlasting Rose (The Belles #2)

"In a world where beauty is a currency, the Belles are special, gifted with beauty and the power to bestow..."
Pretend She's Here

"Since they were little, Lizzie Porter and Emily Lonergan were inseparable and best friends. Now Emily is almost sixteen-years-old, and..."
Tell Me Everything

"TELL ME EVERYTHING follows Ivy, beginning the summer before her sophomore year. Ivy’s parents are ecologists, and her passion for..."
In the Neighborhood of True

"After her father's untimely death, Ruth Robb's mother uproots her and her little sister from New York City to Atlanta,..."
Emmie and the Tudor King

"What worked: Fast-paced time travel romp through Tudor England. In this case readers find out what would have happened if..."
The Girl The Sea Gave Back

"When Tova is saved by the Svell's Tala, Jorrund, she becomes their key to peek at the future. Tora is..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"I'm not sure which the character I loved the most. It is one of those heartfelt stories about a group..."
The Kingdom of Copper

"I honestly didn't think anything could be better than book one The City of Brass but I was so so..."
The Cerulean

"So, I didn't even know this was a thing until everyone was dogging it on twitter. When I saw that..."
To All The Boys I've Loved Before

"This is one of the very few times I will ever say this but here we go.... I preferred the..."
Kiss Collector

"Finally! A freaking book that looks down on drugs. I was so nervous when right off the bat, we get..."
The Darkest Star

"Okay, let's be honest here. Let's just get everything out in the open, shall we? No one and I mean..."
Storm and Fury

"With Armentrout’s characteristic snark and swoony romance, STORM AND FURY will not disappoint fans who have been eagerly awaiting this..."
Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)

"This exciting and fast-paced sequel picks up right where the first book left off. For that reason, this book does..."
Furyborn (Empirium, #1)

"FURYBORN is a YA fantasy that does not disappoint! We begin by seeing the world through the eyes of a..."
The Vanishing Stair

"Feedback As soon as I finished the first book I was so eager to continue. I absolutely loved Truly..."
Truly Devious

"Feedback I absolutely loved this book. It was a buddy read for me and it sounded interesting so I..."
The Lovely and the Lost

"THE LOVELY AND THE LOST follows Kira, a girl who was once found by search and rescue (SAR) and who..."
Happy Messy Scary Love

"HAPPY MESSY SCARY LOVE follows Olivia aka Carrie from her Reddit username over the summer. Olivia is a horror movie..."
Storm and Fury

"Trinity has never been allowed to leave her home compound because of her secret. Here, she has friends, a protector,..."