Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Another Sticky Problem

Having saved a plane from certain disaster in Gum Girl, Gabby Gomez is back. She's bound and determined to tell her dentist father about her exploits, since she is not supposed to be chewing gum, but there is another threat. A mysterious masked man in a chef's hat is plotting to take Gum Girl down! When Gabby is on a class trip to the zoo, the man makes her move. Can Gum Girl, along with her new friend Ravi Rodriguez, save the day? And will she finally be able to come clean to her family?

Good Points
Readers who enjoy the antics of Holms' Babymouse or Super Amoeba or Krosoczka's Lunch Ladies will find an exciting new heroine in Gum Girl.

This is a well-formatted graphic novel for early readers. I liked that Gabby felt bad about disobeying her parents, even though she had a good reason to do so. She even has some nice interactions with her younger brother, and is a good role model. Of course, the real reason to like these is the goofy, Captain Underpants kind of humor. Bonus points for the main character being a Latina.

Younger readers will find it fun that Gabby is sneaking a forbidden treat without her parents' permission, but I just have to say...SUGAR FREE GUM. This really takes care of all of the problems.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Game Change
Seventeen-year-old Zeb Holloway is happy to work in his...

0.0 (0)
Wilder Legacy
The life of a Guardian is a dangerous one,...

5.0 (1)
The Stars Beneath Our Feet
It’s Christmas Eve in Harlem, but twelve-year-old Lolly Rachpaul and...

0.0 (0)
Keeper - Matefinder Next Generation Book 1
Anya has inherited her mother's gift. Born in a...

0.0 (0)
Spies Like Me
Can she bring these girls together? When she discovers...

0.0 (0)
Royal Bastards
Being a bastard blows. Tilla would know. Her father,...

4.0 (2)
Before I Let Go
Days before Corey is to return home to the...

5.0 (1)
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends
From psychologist and children's friendships expert Eileen Kennedy-Moore and parenting...

0.0 (0)
Sword and Scion 01: Into the Dark Mountains
How lost one feels when his own character remains a...

4.9 (2)
The Pirates of Brisa (Wyrms of Pasandir #2)
When young Eskandar leaves his ship with the tough broomrider...

0.0 (0)
Building a Trade Empire (Wyrms of Pasandir #4)
Trade had been Shaw’s life, her dream, her future –...

0.0 (0)
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives
Books can change lives — and here are more than...

0.0 (0)
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals
In The Moonlight Meeting, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a...

0.0 (0)
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4
A group of veiled creatures--a chameleon, stick bugs and assorted...

0.0 (0)
In Sight of Stars
Seventeen-year-old Klee’s father was the center of his life. He...

0.0 (0)
The Bokkaners of the North (Wyrms of Pasandir #3)
Against all odds, Eskandar and his bunch of ragtag youngsters...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals

"In this "Grow and Read" level two early reader book, the characters from Nocturnals World meet each other. Bismark is..."
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4

"Dawn, a fox; Tobin, a pangolin; and Bismark, an energetic sugar glider are all friends who have adventures. When there..."
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3: The Ship of the Dead

"Magnus and his friends are at it again. This time, they have to stop Loki before he brings on Ragnarok...."
Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice #2)

" In this second installment of the series, Thomas ward is now 13 and has been the Spook’s apprentice for..."
Hero on a Bicycle

"HERO ON A BICYCLE by Shirley Hughes is a middle grades novel set in 1944 in Florence, Italy and its..."
Rapunzel and the Lost Lagoon

"My daughter and I love to watch the Tangled Series on the Disney Channel together, so I was so excited..."
Goldeline

"Goldeline has found a rag tag family with Gruff and his bandits. They live in the forest and steal food..."
Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice #1)

"A mature middle-grade fantasy—sporting a medieval feel and steeped in an eerie English folklore ambiance which, at times, drifts over..."
Tracker's Canyon

"Tristan's father taught him everything he near about tracking and canyoneering, but after his father disappears during a hike, Tristan..."
Project Pandora (An Assassin Fall novel)

"Tyler and Shannon are both foster children with a murky grasp of their past... and a startling alternate identity of..."
Everything You Need to Know About NIGHTMARES! and How to Defeat Them: The Nightmares! Handbook

"In this companion to the Nightmares! trilogy, a hodgepodge of supplementary material is presented. There are pictures and descriptions of..."
Sink or Swim: A Novel of World War II

"When Colton's brother Danny is injured by a U Boat while out fishing in the Outer Banks, Colton decides to..."
The Doldrums and the Helmsley Curse

"The Doldrums are back in this mystery and intrigue-laden Middle Grade continuation. Though it’s definitely a sequel, the story has..."
The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes (The Adventurer's Guide #1)

"THE ADVENTURER’S GUIDE TO SUCCESSFUL ESCAPES follows Anne who has lived in Saint Lupin’s Institute for Perpetually Wicked and Hideously..."
Dodger

"Because I have to wait until a period of time where nothing can interrupt me as I read Terry’s books..."
Even the Darkest Stars

"Kamzin dreams of being an explorer, climbing mountains, and finding adventures. When a twist of fate allows her to journey..."
I Am a Secret Service Agent: My Life Spent Protecting the President

" Emmett was a young, impressionable boy growing up in the South when President Kennedy was assassinated. The event made..."
Ryan Quinn and the Lion's Claw (Ryan Quinn #2)

"After his harrowing experiences in Andakar and his discovery that his parents are involved in the Emergency Rescue Committee in..."
Ferocious (Vicarious #2)

"*WARNING: There are no spoilers for FEROCIOUS, but there are spoilers for book 1, VICARIOUS* As a reader, sequels always..."
The Librarians and the Mother Goose Chase

"4.5 Stars! In this second installment of The Librarians series, the Librarians are faced with another exciting challenge that..."