Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Or, Chub and the Cadre of Evil

Maciek Trzebiatowski (that's Maw-check Chub-a-tess-key) has some issues. His family runs a dry cleaning business and think it builds character for him to sort clothes from funeral homes. He lost his hair in a freak accident. His once friend, Archer, has become much cooler than Chub and now gives him a hard time. Luckily, Chub has a good friend, Moby, who has access to better video games and a very cool grandfather. He also has an ally in Shelby, even though he doesn't like her all that much. The three associates decide to make sure that Archer does not become class president, so they do their best to take down his campaign. "The Arch" is more evil than one would expect a clean-cut jock to be, and despite their best efforts, Archer wins the election and starts to use his power for evil. Chub is good at getting the dirt on everyone, including the principal. Will it be enough to keep Alanmoore safe for democracy?

Good Points
There is a subgenre of comic crime that involves a lot of middle school custodians and principals. Think The Great Greene Heist, The Fourth Stall, and I Am A Genius of Unspeakable Evil. I don't quite get these, but my readers love them. What impressed me were the laugh-out-loud funny lines and the general understanding of what the middle school mind finds amusing. I have to see how many times I can work the sentence "I would rather fill my pants with ferrets than spend the summer picking potatoes in Poland." That, my friends, is great writing!

Aladdin's new MAX imprint has so many good, funny, upbeat titles with male main characters! I can't wait to read more of these! Readers who like Rylander's The Fourth Stall, Lieb's I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President or Ferraiolo's The Big Splash will be interested to see what Mr. Maciejewski! (That's "Maw-chee-es-key") writes in the future.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account