Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Be careful what you wish for!

Joplin never knew her grandfather, the much celebrated author Martin Camrath, but when he passes away, there is a media frenzy around her New York apartment, which she and her mother share with her mother's best friend Jen. The death is hard for Joplin, but only because she must deal with her mother's sadness. She was allowed to take one keepsake, and grabbed a Christmas tin with a broken platter in it. She and Jen go to have it restored. The first person to whom they talk creeps them both out, but the platter is put back together by someone else, and Joplin hangs it in her bedroom. After the rumors that her grandfather had problems start to bother her at school, Joplin wishes that she had a friend... and the girl on the platter comes to life! Since the girl can't live in the garden, Joplin convinces her upstairs neighbor Chloe to pass Sofie off as her visiting cousin while she figures out what to do. Joplin also meets Barrett Browning, a boy who shares many of her interests, and the two work to figure out the connection between her grandfather, Sofie, and the mysterious man who is following them around.

Good Points
My favorite part of this book was the fact that Joplin DID tell people about Sofie... and they reluctantly believed her! Granted, the best part of magical books is often keeping the secret from the adults who are around, but I appreciated the fact that Joplin's mother was sympathetic to her plight and was willing to help her out even though the circumstances were very odd indeed!

Joplin starts off as a rather underdeveloped character, so it is interesting to see her grow and start to stand up for herself. Her relationship with Barrett is charming, and Chloe is an intriguing secondary character. Sofie's past is filled with all sorts of people, including the creepy Lucius Doyle. I especially appreciated the fact that Stanley brings a 21st century sensibility to Joplin's dealings with this man-- she tries to make sure that Joplin doesn't go meeting the suspect character on her own!

While I wish we had more information about Sofie's world, the New York setting is very vivid, and the author's notes about her own childhood in a similar place imbue this with a charming nostalgic feeling that will resonate with readers.

Stanley has done more high fantasy novels in the past, but this is a book filled with magical realism and mystery that will resonate with fans of Ruth Chew, Liz Kessler, Laurel Snyder, Kimberly Griffiths Little and Kathryn Littlewood.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Come Home, Angus
Angus woke up mad and knew today was not his...

0.0 (0)
Rulers of the Playground
A stunning picture book about sharing, friendship, and kindness in...

0.0 (0)
June Sparrow and the Million Dollar Penny
June Sparrow and her best friend—a miniature pig named Indigo...

0.0 (0)
Story Sparks:  Finding Your Best Story Ideas & Turning Them into Compelling Fiction
Find rock-solid story ideas before you start writing ...

0.0 (0)
The Girl in the Tower
A remarkable young woman blazes her own trail, from the...

0.0 (0)
Coming Up For Air
Swim. Eat. Shower. School. Snack. Swim. Swim. Swim. Dinner. Homework....

0.0 (0)
Landscape with Invisible Hand
National Book Award winner M. T. Anderson returns to future...

0.0 (0)
26091228.jpg
Follow-up to the New York Times bestselling novel, Forget Tomorrow!...

0.0 (0)
Follow Me (Amateurs #2)
It was the perfect night for a party. That is,...

0.0 (0)
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding
Prosper is the only unexceptional Redding in his old...

0.0 (0)
Fireblood
Against all odds, Ruby has defeated the villainous Frost...

0.0 (0)
Nothing
From Annie Barrows, the acclaimed #1 New York Times–bestselling...

0.0 (0)
Welcome Home
Welcome Home collects a number of adoption-themed fictional short...

0.0 (0)
Even the Darkest Stars
The first in a sweeping and action-packed debut fantasy...

0.0 (0)
Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper #2)
In this hotly anticipated sequel to the haunting #1...

0.0 (0)
The Many Worlds of Albie Bright
Stephen Albie Bright leads a happy, normal life. Well, as...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Truthers

"So, I've said before that for some reason I love conspiracy theories. Do I believe any of them? No. I..."
Princess Breeze

"This is the second book in a very adorable, fun series. This story starts with Breeze Brannigan's end of the..."
A Short History of the Girl Next Door

"I HAVE NEVER CRIED SO HARD READING A BOOK. Or laughed. Or laughed AND cried at the same time. I..."
The Hate U Give

"I am honestly floored by The Hate U Give. Everything about this novel touched me in irrevocable ways and I..."
I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter

"I was excited to be asked to read and review I AM NOT YOUR PERFECT MEXICAN DAUGHTER. I love stories..."
Expelled

"EXPELLED is the brainchild of James Patterson and Emily Raymond, in which four teenagers, some guilty, some not, are kicked..."
The Date to Save

"Here's a thing you immediately need to know about THE DATE TO SAVE: it's an oral documentary. It read's like..."
Our Broken Pieces

"As Everly learns the hard way, high school relationships don't always survive high school. When she catches her boyfriend cheating..."
The Hate U Give

" A new favorite! This book is intense. I think it should be required reading in all high schools...."
Chasing Eveline

"Ivy is desperate to connect with the mother who abandoned Ivy and her dad. The closest connection she has to..."
They Both Die at the End

"Adam Silvera makes me cry. Holy crap. I hardly ever cry when reading, but I’ve cried twice this..."
Three Day Summer

"August 15-18 is the anniversary of Woodstock music festival! and i relived that time by reading this book! i make..."
Eight Days on Planet Earth

""I want to believe." Agent Scully's take from the X files is shown here when a mysterious girl shows up..."
How to Disappear

"I am so absolutely in love with Sharon Huss Roat. Her books are funny, relatable, and so easily devoured. I..."
David Inside Out

"David Inside Out is a novel about a teenager (David) who is discovering he is gay. In David's high school,..."
Everything, Everything

"This story is told in first-person present-tense entirely from the POV of Madeline, who is turning eighteen in the first..."

"4.5 Stars! Someone Else's Summer was an amazing and emotional novel. It had a well written plot and captivating..."
The Inconceivable Life of Quinn

"THE INCONCEIVABLE LIFE OF QUINN has to be the most interesting and original story I've read all year. It follows..."
The Secret History Of Us

"The story kicks of with Liv waking up in the hospital while people around her are walkin on egg shells...."
Lucky in Love

"Maddie, our main character in Kasie West’s “Lucky in Love”, is logical, hard-working, and a mega planner. She has..."