Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Chevelles in Space!

In 2085, Benny lives in the Drylands. His father didn't come back from a scouting mission, so he lives in a caravan with his grandmother and two younger brothers. When he is picked for the elite academy at the swank Lunar Taj, he knows that the way to better the circumstances for his family is to go. Once there, he meets the other students, including the obnoxious Drue, the daredevil Hot Dog, and the techie Jasmine. When Hot Dog goes out in a Space Runner and crashes, Benny and Drue go out looking for her. Theyfind her, but uncover a mystery as well. Could it be that Elijah West has brought the 100 children to the moon for other reasons?

Good Points

Benny is a great character who is trying hard to fit into a new environment. Life in the Drylands is hard, so he appreciates all of the amenities of the Lunar Taj in a way that Drue does not. Drue is a spoiled brat, but not beyond redemption. Hot Dog throws caution to the wind, but can back up her actions with excellent skills-- and she's described as a pretty blond. I loved that Jasmine was the tech guru instead of some stereotypical geeky boy!

The Lunar Taj is a solidly described setting. Will technology progress that far by 2085? Children who read this book today could conceivably live long enough to find out! I'm not entirely sold that a Chevelle could be retrofitted and made space worthy, but it's a fun concept. This bore a small resemblance to Reilly's 2007 Crash Course, but has a lot more going for it.

Kraatz's The Cloak Society also offered tweens saving the world; as much as this concept gives me pause, middle school students love the idea. Pair this first book in the Space Runners series with Fry's Jupiter Pirates, McDougall's Mars Evacuees, and Kloepfer's Galaxy's Most Wanted for readers who like Star Wars, Star Trek, and traditional space adventure rather than dystopian worlds.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)
Finding-Elora.jpg
High school’s a whole new ballgame. Elora used...

0.0 (0)
Deadly Exodus
Their love is forbidden…their lives in danger… ...

0.0 (0)
Front Cover
Join Clementine on a Winter Adventure in the Great Outdoors!...

0.0 (0)
Front cover
Growing up as a biracial child, Maggy Williams had three...

0.0 (0)
hanna_final.jpg
Inspired by real Holocaust events, this poignant debut novel is...

0.0 (0)
51MO7YjcihL.jpg
Twins Finn and Eric’s peaceful lives are turned upside down...

0.0 (0)
Super Rabbit Racers!: A Branches Book (Press Start! #3)
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line,...

0.0 (0)
Original Syn
Fifty years after the Singularity, the world is divided into...

5.0 (1)
What I Leave Behind
After his dad commits suicide, Will tries to overcome...

0.0 (0)
Friends for Life
A timeless and uplifting book about friendship, filled with...

0.0 (0)
Frat Girl
College life can be complicated—challenging, rewarding, downright frustrating—and a...

4.0 (1)
After the power grid goes down and the death of...

0.0 (0)
We Are All That's Left
Two lives. Two worlds apart. One deeply compelling story...

0.0 (0)
The Trail Rules_BN_1400x926.jpg
Junior year’s looking up for sixteen-year old Mike. Her...

4.6 (2)

0.0 (0)
Make it Count
Casey’s touch can reveal the one thing a person...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Legacy of Kings

"Legacy of Kings was not a bad book per se, but I found it a confusing, frequently boring one. Perhaps..."
Return of the Vinetropes

"What a unique and wonderful story told by a gifted writer! What I loved most is that there's something for..."
A Thousand Beginnings and Endings

"A THOUSAND BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS is a collection of fifteen short stories, edited by Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman. All..."
Dragonfly Song

"Aissa is the first-born daughter of the Lady of an island, and as such she should be raised in a..."
The Monstrous Child

"THIS MONSTROUS CHILD is about how Hel, a young teenage girl came to rule the underworld and how she and..."
The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels #1)

"This is the first instalment in the bestselling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. The first two books have even..."
Merrow

"“Life is not fussy about where it grows, but it is set on doing so.” Writing this review won’t..."
Let the Wind Rise (Sky Fall #3)

"4.4 stars! Awesome series! Filled with a lot of action and an interesting plot. I really enjoyed the first book..."
Yo-Kai Watch: The Misadventures of Jibanyan

"A fantastic little book for fans of the Yo-Kai Watch animated series and games! This chapter book follows..."
For Magnus Chase: Hotel Valhalla Guide to the Norse Worlds (An Official Rick Riordan Companion Book)

"A quick, whimsical companion guide to the Magnus Chase world; this book presents Norse mythos on a middle-grade level, yet..."
Yo-Kai Watch: Official Guide

"All fans of the Yo-Kai Watch world must have this great guide to the world of yo-kai! A..."
Persuasion

"Persuasion is the sequel to the phenomenal book Compulsion about a young girl who has the ability to "find" lost..."
I Am Tama, Lucky Cat: A Japanese Legend

"Beautiful illustrations and lyrical prose tell the legend of the "maneki neko" or lucky cat of Japanese folklore. ..."
Valkyrie Rising

" Ellie goes to Norway to visit her grandmother for a part of the summer. There she learns about the..."
Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)

"What I Loved: I really enjoy Heather Demetrios’ books and her writing style so I was very excited to..."
One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree

"One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree is a whimsical story of a very clever boy who gets eaten by..."
White is for Witching

"White is for Witching is a weird little story, and at the same time, it strikes a chord that anyone..."
Awaken (Abandon #3)

AshAsh
"Nice action, honestly. Funny, the only thing I really liked was one small quote Pierce's mama said. "'Oh no,'..."
Kith (The Good Neighbors Book 2)

"If you want a dark and twisty graphic novel, The Good Neighbors trilogy is right for you. Holly black creates..."
A Sliver of Stardust (Book 1)

"In Marissa Burt's latest novel, she creates an original new world full of magic and adventure. Wren Matthews is the..."