Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

New Discoveries on Every Page

Words by Christoph Niemann is the ultimate children’s book. Not only is it beautiful and aesthetically pleasing to the eye, each page provides many different discoveries.

At first glance, I knew that this book was different from other children’s books. As I flipped through the pages, I noticed that every page had the same format. A photo depicting an action, place, or thing, followed by the name of it on the bottom. Most of the pages were white, with the drawing being in black, but occasionally there was a pop of color from the magenta or turquoise colored pages.

While this is most definitely a children’s book, there is something so beautiful and simple about it that makes me want to keep it on my coffee table for my guests to look at. I’m almost positive they would find it as interesting as the children I read this to, have.

I have now read this book to several children and am always fascinated to see how it opens up their imaginations. We can create different games to play with the words, by covering the words, or create stories based off them. Each time we open this book, a new mini adventure awaits them.

I found this book to be a bit challenging, in the best ways, for children. It allows them to ask questions on the words they don’t know or understand properly, and it allows them to truly learn the meaning of them. Not many younger kids know the meaning of “woebegone” or “effervescent”, but I can proudly say that because of this book, the kids I care for, do.

Final thoughts?

I feel very lucky to have been given the chance to read this book. It is absolutely wonderful, and every kid who I’ve brought this book to has enjoyed it immensely. Surprisingly, the other day I was recommended a new Netflix series, called Abstract, and the first episode featured Christoph Niemann himself! After watching it I was able to have an even greater appreciation for this book, especially knowing the amount of work and time go into making it.

Good Points
very engaging book, great for all ages, great for creating different games and activities to play
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

20316920_1595609687178811_492401856_o.jpg
This is the true story of a young family of...

0.0 (0)
Stealing Liberty
When Reed Paine is sent to a secret detention school...

0.0 (0)
Monster (Gone #7)
It’s been four years since a meteor hit Perdido Beach...

0.0 (0)
Sink or Swim: A Novel of World War II
It's been a month since the bombing of Pearl Harbor....

0.0 (0)
The White Tower
When Livy's accepted at Temple College, an exclusive school for...

0.0 (0)
Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After Special Edition)
Down the rabbit hole . . . ...

0.0 (0)
Rapunzel, the One With all the Hair (Twice Upon a Time #1)
There are two sides to every story -- even fairy...

0.0 (0)
Genuine Fraud
The story of a young woman whose diabolical smarts are...

0.0 (0)
I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian meets...

4.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
This Darkness Mine
Sasha Stone knows her place—first-chair clarinet, top of her...

0.0 (0)
Dear Martin
Justyce McAllister is top of his class and set...

0.0 (0)
The Last Namsara
Kristen Ciccarelli’s debut fantasy explores an intricately woven world...

0.0 (0)
Blood Dragons (Rebel Vampires Volume 1)
A young rebel vampire, a red-haired devil, and a...

0.0 (0)
An Enchantment of Ravens
Isobel is a prodigy portrait artist with a dangerous...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils Joy...

0.0 (0)
Bad Girl Gone
A recently deceased girl must solve her own murder in...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Hanging Girl

"The Hanging Girl was a quick, suspenseful read. Author Eileen Cook has a great writing style. The story picked up..."
The Hanging Girl

"Skye Thorn is a fake. Her so-called psychic abilities are all a scam. Then she gets involved in the biggest..."
Sanctuary Bay

"Sanctuary Bay was a title I was really excited to read and I admit that I hate that I pushed..."
The Killer In Me

"Seventeen-year-old Nina Barrows hates to sleep. Whenever she does, she sees through the eyes of a serial killer that..."
How to Disappear

" How to Disappear is an intriguing, adventurous tale about a girl running for..."
How to Disappear

"How to Disappear is about a girl on the run and the boy she meets along the way…the boy who..."
Complicit

N/A
" Complicit is one of those dark tales that grabs you and forces you to turn the page even though..."
Sanctuary Bay

"Sarah Merson is used to a world of Goodwill and foster homes, and the new, prestigious school she’s been accepted..."
The Dogs

"Sometimes secrets are harmless, sometimes they are fun, but other times, secrets can be dangerous. The Dogs is..."
Ruthless

"Ruth Carver's nickname is 'Ruthless' as she takes charge and goes after what she wants. She's ambitious and tough...."
The Bunker Diary

"After reading iBoy I have found myself truly addicted to Kevin Brooks' writing style. It is real and raw...."
Complicit

"I’m not sure the right words even exist to describe this, but I’ll try. It’s dark, twisted and strange. On..."
Black Ice

" Honestly, at first, I wasn't planning to read Black Ice, but when I got a copy..."
Complicit

"COMPLICIT is an amazing book. It's the story of Jamie and his sister, Crazy Cate. Cate may be the craziest..."
Black Ice

JenJen
"What I liked: the cover, the action, suspense and pacing. I never got bored, and with all of the survival..."