Review Detail

Kids Fiction
(Updated: May 11, 2016)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Finding Hope Somewhere

Annie Donwerth-Chikamatsu's stunning debut novel, SOMEWHERE AMONG, will take older readers back in time and introduce new readers to an important moment in history: September 11, 2001.

Written in poetic form, this middle grade novel takes young readers to Japan and into the life of Ema. As an eleven-year-old, Ema's character observes the atrocities of the world with a critical mind and a heart that wishes for peace: in her home, in her family, in her world. This wish, and others, are hung from bamboo during Tanabata, the Japanese star festival. And through this, it is clear that the heart of this novel is about wishes and hopes for the future.

Ema and her pregnant mother move in with her father's parents, and like most families, hers is complicated. With a strict grandmother, an empathetic grandfather, and a mother who fears for her unborn baby, Ema is forced to transition into a new school and a new life, all while the world changes.

September 11, 2001, Ema is awakened by horrific things on the news. What Ema has that others may not, is a spectacular author who imbues this novel with echoes of the pain of Pearl Harbor, and the distinction between a world of peace and a world of terror. Though readers will not experience 9/11 from the United States in this novel, the way the rest of the world deals with this moment in time is just as interesting. And given the fact that Ema has connections to Japanese culture, and grandparents from the US, her viewpoint is immense and integral to the success of this story.

While 9/11 does not fill every page of this book--some days are spent at school or in the garden or looking up at the stars-- the tremors of this terrifying time can be felt on every page. With the promise of a new sibling, it is as if the author has put all of the hopes and dreams for the world after 9/11's terrorist attacks in the image of one new baby. And of course this is such a beautiful way to think about how worlds have had to be rebuilt after devastation, after wars; bereavement and sorrow giving birth to better times ahead.

Throughout this novel there are many Japanese words and customs introduced, however, these things never feel confusing. If anything, readers will learn so much more about the Japanese culture in a way that feels organic and important to the story. It is the way Ema wishes on a blue slip of paper, the way they try to remember New Year's dreams amongst Christmas trees and Beatles songs, that we truly see her "somewhere among" Japan and America.

With exquisite details and heartfelt sentiments, this world is one that is full of love and light amidst sorrow and darkness. It is true that the most beautiful observations often come from children; unclouded by past hate or a life filled with hurt. Ema's observations are beautiful, even when they are enough to break hearts. And this book is heartbreaking. But from the rubble of Ema's wishes and the fallen towers, readers will see the rebuilding of hope in just one paper crane, the forgiveness of school squabbles, the future hope of new life, the profundity of glow-in-the-dark ceiling stars on the darkest of nights. All of this fills the lyrical pages of Annie Donwerth-Chikamatsu's debut novel.

Perfect for both parents and children, SOMEWHERE AMONG will transport readers to a beautiful culture during a devastating time in history where they can see just how much people and whole worlds are changed.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Flash: The Secret Files of Barry Allen: The Ultimate Guide to the Hit TV Show
My name is Barry Allen. You probably know me as...

0.0 (0)
An Assassin's Guide to Love & Treason
When Lady Katherine's father is killed for being an illegally...

0.0 (0)
The Blood Spell
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the...

0.0 (0)
Ogre Enchanted
In this prequel to Ella Enchanted, which can stand on...

0.0 (0)
Home and Away
Tasia Quirk is young, Black, and fabulous. She's a senior,...

0.0 (0)
Mirage
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire,...

0.0 (0)
Dactyl Hill Squad
It's 1863 and dinosaurs roam the streets of New York...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate Brighton...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara,...

0.0 (0)
People several generations ago talk about what they were doing...

5.0 (1)
The Storm Runner
Zane has always enjoyed exploring the dormant volcano near his...

0.0 (0)
Mother Tongue
On the day she brings her sweet little sister,...

0.0 (0)
After being scarred by an unimaginable lie, Erik commits...

0.0 (0)
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
"I'm here to take you to live with your...

0.0 (0)
safe_image.jpeg
Twins raised far from the darkness are the key...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Areion

"Feedback I don’t even know where to begin. This story was amazing. Lela created an outstanding world and rich..."
Awakening of Fire (Dragon Born, #1)

"Felicia never thought her life could be turned upside down by taking a trip to the mall. But when she's..."
Emerge: The Captive: (Book 3)

"Feedback Emerge: The Captive takes place between Awakening and Judgment through Sasha and Quinn’s point of view. At first..."
Emerge: The Assignment: An Immortals of Indriell Novella

"A great side story for anyone following this series. The story: Tessa is a fighter, but she believes she..."
Ruthless Magic (Conspiracy of Magic #1)

"The story: In a world that knows magic exists there are only some people who have the power to wield..."
Emerge: The Captive: (Book 3)

"The story: Captured by an Immortal organisation called Soma, Quinn struggles to keep his secrets hidden from his captors. Secrets..."
A Mortal Song

"Sora has been raised by the kami in Mt. Fuji and enjoys her life with her parents and her best..."
The Wing Collector

"Feedback The Wing Collector by Kristin Helving was a very enjoyable read! This was a very interesting approach to..."
Emerge: The Judgment (Book 2)

"Feedback Emerge: The Judgement was a great second entry to this series. I had some issues with the first..."
Soul Catchers

"When her mom is attacked by a wolf, Wren has no choice but to use her magic to try to..."
The Wing Collector

"Wow oh wow. Where to start? THE WING COLLECTOR is a completely original take on a faerie story and is..."
Society of Wishes (Wish Quartet, #1)

"What I Liked: This book is told from Jo’s POV as she makes a wish and something she never..."
Kingdom of Embers

"What I Liked: This book is told from Alena’s POV, who is a half vampire, half witch, and her..."
Marked Beauty

"What I loved: The plot was different from anything that I have read before. This story is told from..."
Regen

N/A
"A fun read for all ages."
Emerge: The Awakening (Book 1)

"Summary Allie was never really normal. For some reason, everyone seemed to recoil at her touch. Her parent’s job..."
The Vampire Fate (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 4)

"The plot twist at the end of the third book was epic and I was so excited to start this..."
The Vampire Trick (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 3)

"I don't even know where to begin. This series is just so good and each book builds you up for..."
The Vampire Prince (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 2)

"When Annika discovers Geneva, she realizes that she's the only one who can help her take down the Vale. With..."
Ignite

"The story: Phoenyx Blake, a teenage girl, awakens in a locked dungeon with only a girl named Lily for..."