Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Sweet as sugar and just plain funny

What I Loved:

Dawn, Darby, and Delaney Brewster are a very driven set of triplets with the goal of conquering the United States via becoming the president, Speaker of the House, and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, respectively. Right now, they’re focused on snagging the church pageant roles of the Three Wise Men they were robbed of. Their outrage over being denied the roles solely because they’re girls results in all sorts of fun. If someone tries to tell my niece she can’t do something or play a certain role because of her gender, I hope she does what the Brewster girls do and fights it.

The hijinks they get into looking for their beloved Mr. Neighbor’s family heirloom Santa figurine makes for a fun, believable B-plot. Late-night surveillance, night-vision goggles, a game of detective,… I would have done many things to end up in their shoes when I was 11/12, but such games were only in my daydreams or the monthly spy books/gadgets I ordered from the Scholastic catalogs my English teachers handed out in class. I’m an old fart now, but the Brewster girls reminded me of what it was like to be their age. If you didn’t read Revenge of the Bridesmaids like me, the girls will get you up to speed on what little you need to know, so you won’t be lost.

What Left Me Wanting:

At times, it can be hard to tell the girls apart since all three share POV chapters written in first-person. Darby is the dreamer, Dawn is the leader, and Delaney is the one who can’t stay still. They sound different enough, but their internal monologues have a tendency to blend together. Sometimes, I only remembered who was narrating because she’d say her sisters’ names and I went through the process of elimination! They seemed to have an extraordinary amount of freedom for their age too. My parents wouldn’t let me walk down on the street on my own or with friends, let alone all over town. Then again, I grew up heavily sheltered. Suburbia is a serious drug.

Final Verdict:

Whether or not you’ve read Revenge of the Bridesmaids, you’ll surely laugh out loud and enjoy the ride throughout Revenge of the Angels. It’s the perfect read for when you want something winter-flavored and sweet as sugar.

Good Points
*Laugh-out-loud funny
*Great messages for girls
*Believable adventures of eleven/twelve-year-olds
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account