Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

The Lost Hero Review

This book was awesome. I love companion series. They're like series, but better. Because the story never ends and you just find out more amazing things about the world the author has created. For instance:

The Greek Gods are sometimes the Roman Gods instead (or too, whatever - it's kind of confusing to be a god), and their demigod kids are different from the Camp Half Blood people.

That is so not a spoiler. It's like the whole point of the book, and it's evident from early on. Yet, even though you kind of know where it's going, the book continues to dangle tantalizing hints in front of you, so you have to obsessively read and forego sleep to figure stuff out. By the end, a lot of things are made clear but questions are raised as well. Which is great. I love world-expansion. The author does it so, so well. I'm really looking forward to finding out more about the Romans in the next installment (also, I totally missed Percy), even though I'm pretty sure I like the Greeks better. Discipline and war - not into them. Also, you have to be brave and confident or you get eaten by a wolf? What if you're, like, a child of Aphrodite or Demeter - that doesn't really go with the nature of those deities. Anyway - I suppose I'll find out more about that in the next book. I'm hoping Camp Jupiter won't be like military school or something.

Jason was a little bland, but I think that was on purpose. He was a blank slate, after all, and he was loyal to his friends, which is always good. Leo was hilarious. "A Latino elf." Yep. Perfect description. And who wouldn't want a giant mechanical flying dragon? His story is really moving, even if he tries to deflect from it with humor. His character arc is great to watch.

Piper was a really great addition. We had Annabeth in the Percy Jackson series, and I love her, but she's not really emotional and feminine like Piper is. Which is fine - that's just not who she is. But I absolutely love how Piper shows that you can be very strong and not a "fighter" - that love is the most powerful motivator in the world. I've often noticed this, and yet it is generally overlooked and undervalued. She's just an awesome character. I've always hoped there was more to the Aphrodite cabin, and I always liked Silena.

It was really cool seeing Camp Half Blood from new perspectives and I was totally squealing over all the new cabins! I want to be in the Hecate cabin. So cool. I'm still eagerly awaiting a Goddess of Magic redemption. And of course in The Lost Hero we meet yet another sorceress who is evil. Come on, mythology! Aren't there any non-evil sorceresses!?

All in all, I am impressed.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Don't Date Rosa Santos
Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's what...

0.0 (0)
I Got Next
It’s game day! In this action-packed picture book from Daria...

0.0 (0)
A Friend for Bently
Like all pigs, Bently loves to play in the mud,...

0.0 (0)
The Great Pumpkin Contest
Mimi and Clara are neighbors. Both cats want to win...

0.0 (0)
Save Your Friends!
This laugh-out-loud adventure encourages family sharing and is a perfect...

0.0 (0)
Dibs!
Teaching your little brother his first word —dibs —is funny....

0.0 (0)
Where Are You From?
This resonant picture book tells the story of one girl...

0.0 (0)
Out of Place
When twelve-year-old Cove Bernstein becomes the target of a school-wide...

0.0 (0)
Salvation Day
A lethal virus is awoken on an abandoned spaceship in...

0.0 (0)
The Startup Squad (The Startup Squad, #1)
Girls mean business in a brand-new middle grade series about...

0.0 (0)
A Possibility of Whales
Twelve-year-old Natalia Rose Baleine Gallagher has to move, again. ...

0.0 (0)
Peppa in Space (Peppa Pig)
Get ready for a Peppa Pig story that's out of...

0.0 (0)
The Stars We Steal
Engagement season is in the air. Eighteen-year-old Princess Leonie “Leo”...

0.0 (0)
Pete the Cat and the Itsy Bitsy Spirder
Pete the Cat’s cool adaptation of the classic children’s song...

0.0 (0)
Superlative Birds
Explore the fascinating world of superlative birds―from the bee hummingbird,...

0.0 (0)
In Another Life
Chloe was three years old when she became Chloe Holden,...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Mammoth

" MAMMOTH by Jill Baguchinsky features a month in the life of Natalie Page, a high school student and the..."
The Prince and the Dressmaker

"In historical Paris, Prince Sebastian is supposed to be finding a bride. His parents are eager for him to get..."
The Prince and the Dressmaker

"What worked: I really loved this story of a dressmaker and the prince who likes to wear dresses. Prince Sebastian..."
Confidentially Yours #6: Vanessa's Design Dilemma

"Katie and Vanessa are launching their KV fashion line at the school fashion show, and they are excited to find..."
The Fashion Committee

"Charlie Dean is obsessed with fashion. When an opportunity to win a an art scholarship to a prestigious school comes..."
Alterations

"I cannot stand the cuteness! Alterations by Stephanie Scott is the YA contemporary read that everyone needs in their life...."
Geek Girl

"I’ve been hearing a lot of great reviews about this book that’s why I decided to request an e-ARC of..."
Model Misfit (Geek Girl, #2)

"This is one of my most anticipated books to read this year and I’m so happy I got the chance..."
Material Girls

" Imagine living in a society where you didn't have to worry about your future. Your job was picked,..."
Geek Girl

"Harriet is socially inept and a klutz to boot, so when her best friend Nat (who has always wanted to..."
Stitches and Stones (Sew Zoey #4)

"When I read the first installment of Sew Zoey, I wondered how different issues related to her blogging would be..."
Lights, Camera, Fashion! (Sew Zoey #3)

"What I continue to enjoy about the Sew Zoey series is the focus on family and friendship. I..."
Ready to Wear (Sew Zoey #1)

"The first book of the Sew Zoey series is everything that I like in a middle grade book. This..."
Georgetown Academy: Book One

"Georgetown Academy is an elite prep school for kids of the Washington political elite, and national political scandals can make..."
The Look

"THE LOOK is trying to say something, it really is. It tends towards the theme that inner beauty is more..."
Georgetown Academy: Book Two

"This is a fun interactive series that allows you to choose which character to follow for the night. I read..."
Georgetown Academy: Book One

"This is an interactive ebook and the authors let readers decide which of the main characters to follow, so you..."
Girl in Development

"Reader reviewed by Ria In this cross between The A-List and Gossip Girl, this book provides a new look on..."