Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

A Humorous Adventure

Jasper John Dooley can't wait to be the Star of the Week at school. He gets to star in a different activity every day! But things don't go as Jasper planned. Other kids don't understand his hobbies and he even gets sent to the principal's office. Plus, his best friend's mother has a new baby, and Jasper begins wondering if his family is too small. But things turn around for Jasper, he learns he can be confident in his unique abilities and hobbies, and his family supports him and loves him just as he is.

This is an adventure chock full of humor and heart. Jasper is immediately loveable, quirks and all. His parents clearly love him the way he is. And even though being Star of the Week didn't work out exactly as he planned it, he learns he can shine bright every day (Star badge pinned to his shirt or not) as long as he remembers to show others his heart. As a mother of boys, I especially love that Jasper sounds like a boy and thinks like a boy. I highly recommend this book.

Good Points
humor
loving family
excellent lesson
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Summer Bird Blue
A mixed race teen struggles to find her way back...

0.0 (0)
Starfish
A William C. Morris Award Finalist A New...

0.0 (0)
The Truth Lies Here
In small town Michigan, Penny, an aspiring journalist, teams...

0.0 (0)
The Looking Glass
GIRLS IN TROUBLE. That’s what Sylvie Blake’s older sister...

0.0 (0)
Something of Substance
Seventeen-year-old Grace Michaels is determined to be thin, even...

0.0 (0)
Death by the River
SOME TRUTHS ARE BETTER KEPT SECRET. SOME SECRETS...

0.0 (0)
Soraya: A Wielders of Arantha Prequel
On the planet Elystra, the all-female Ixtrayu tribe have...

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Scream All Night
A darkly hilarious contemporary realistic young adult novel about...

0.0 (0)
A Touch of Gold
King Midas once had the ability to turn all...

0.0 (0)
Meet the Sky
From award-winning author McCall Hoyle comes a new young adult...

0.0 (0)
A Dog in King Arthur’s Court (Cavall in Camelot #1)
In Camelot, King Arthur’s dog encounters a world of danger...

0.0 (0)
The Fray
She's been trained for battle but is she ready for...

0.0 (0)
Emergence (Kindred Ties: Book Two)
The fight for order has only just begun… Fletcher, Ariana...

0.0 (0)
All Summer Long.jpg
A coming-of-age middle-grade graphic novel about summer and friendships, written...

4.0 (1)
They Say Blue
Caldecott and Printz Honor-winning illustrator Jillian Tamaki brings us a...

4.0 (1)
Lady Knight (Crystal Journals) Book 3
Shortlisted 2018-19 "Chocolate Lily Book Award"... ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Truth Lies Here

"THE TRUTH LIES HERE by Lindsey Klingele is a young adult, sci-fi novel set in Bone Lake, Michigan. This little..."
Scream All Night

"I am NOT a Horror fan. I am a big scaredy cat when it comes to the genre, be it..."
Meet the Sky

"Meet the Sky is an ably-written, well-paced contemporary YA—one which is perhaps best described as a pleasantly stormy beach read...."
A Touch of Gold

"When I read the synopsis for this book I was immediately intrigued. I love retellings and this book seemed right..."
Pretty Dead Girls

""Pretty Dead Girls" was an interesting YA thriller following Penelope (Pen/Penny) in the aftermath of a death of a frenemy,..."
Relic

" “Relic” is a historical paranormal novel about Maggie, a teenaged girl who lives with her brother, sister and parents..."
All Summer Long

" Austin and Bina have been inseparable friends since they were in diapers. The summer going into the eighth..."
The Darkest Legacy

"Five years have passed since the 'rehabilitation' camps have been shut down. Suzume 'Zu' is now seventeen years old and..."
The Turnaway Girls

"Delphernia lives in a cloister of turnaway girls on the island of Blightsend, and she's unable to do the one..."
The Looking Glass

"THE LOOKING GLASS by Janet McNally is a young adult novel set in the highly competitive world of aspiring New..."
Brightly Burning

"An ambitious work of YA speculative fiction—a post-apocalyptic premise fused with the plot of a beloved classic. I’d like..."
Give Me Some Truth

"Carson Mastick and Magpie "Maggi" Bokoni are two Native American high school students living on a reservation outside of Niagara..."
House of Ash

"I’m just going to go ahead and say it. I LOVED THIS BOOK. I absolutely devoured it from start to..."
Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over

"'Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over' by Shani Petroff captures the angst of romantic hardships and misunderstandings. When eighteen-year-old..."
The Opposite of Innocent

"'The Opposite of Innocent' is yet another fantastic novel-in-verse by the illustrious Sonya Sones. The story will draw readers in..."
Echo's Sister

"'Echo's Sister' by Paul Mosier is a realistic and heartwarming story that truly gets to the heart of the matter...."
Storm-Wake

"Moss has grown up on a magical island with Pa, his stories, and their dogs. The island is filled with..."
A Kiss in the Dark

"WHAT I LOVED: Macy is a likable, layered character and her narration flows easily. Even when my frustration mounted..."
Poe: Stories and Poems

"The perfect gift for any Poe fan, Gareth Hinds breathes life—and gory death—into some of the greatest works of Edgar..."
Who's That Girl

"I was drawn to this book because of the musical theme and it wasn’t disappointing. Who’s that girl is a..."