Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Pig is Royalty . . .Or Is She?

In this wryly humorous tale, a pig awakens to find herself festooned with a sash labeled "PRINCESS" (we readers know that it was actually carried by the wind away from the Pickle Princess of Picawash County during a parade). Pig must be a princess, she decides. Goat informs her princesses wear crowns, so Pig fashions a crown from a teacup. But then Cow tells her all princesses have necklaces . . .

Pig continues to prove herself royalty to her barnyard friends. Then she discovers the downside of being a princess: Pig can't sleep in because of a royal portrait commission. She can't roll in the nice cool mud because, well, princesses don't roll in mud. The final straw comes when she finds her friends having a party, and not inviting her because the party is too common for royalty. And then Pig realizes what her buddy Pony has been saying all along:

"It's a fine thing to be a pig . . .if a pig is what you are."

This delightful story combines a child-pleasing storyline with subtle lessons about being true to oneself, and the drawbacks of fame. The illustrations are wonderfully droll, with each animal possessing distinct (often hilarious) personalities and expressions. Lots of fun!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Every Stolen Breath
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...

0.0 (0)
Cursed Beauty
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...

0.0 (0)
The C Word
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....

0.0 (0)
Aphelion
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...

0.0 (0)
Announcing Trouble
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...

0.0 (0)
Seneca Lake
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...

0.0 (0)
Freshman Witch
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...

0.0 (0)
Sarai and The Around The World Fair
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...

0.0 (0)
Of Beast and Beauty
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...

0.0 (0)
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)
Meet the Peppers. Funny runs in the family....

0.0 (0)
Dylan’s parents were taken from her in a terrible crash...

0.0 (0)
Dirt
Things are hard for eleven-year-old Yonder. Her mother died and...

0.0 (0)
Gen One
Generations after robots conquered Earth, the remaining population survives in...

0.0 (0)
Darknessontheedgeoftown.jpg
Chief Jim Hopper reveals long-awaited secrets to Eleven about his...

0.0 (0)
SupermanDawnbreaker.jpg
When the dawn breaks, a hero rises. ...

0.0 (0)
Moon Water: A Novel
Set in the Blue Ridge Mountains during the summer of...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Moon Water: A Novel

"MOON WATER follows Nettie in the summer of 1969 when her life is in turmoil. Nettie is 16 years old..."
A Dress for the Wicked

"A DRESS FOR THE WICKED is a lush and enthralling YA historical fiction that feels anything but historical! Emmaline (Emmy)..."
Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights

"PROFESSOR RENOIR'S COLLECTION OF ODDITIES, CURIOSITIES, AND DELIGHTS primarily follows Babe, a fourteen-year-old girl who has gigantism. She already stands..."
The Season

"THE SEASON by Sarah MacLean is a YA historical fiction novel that centers around seventeen-year-old Alex, who is coming of..."
Night of Soldiers and Spies (Ranger in Time #10)

"Ranger travels back in time via a magical first aid kit, and must stay until he figures out how to..."
Planet Earth is Blue

"Nova is severely autistic and verbally unintelligible, although she can manage simple things like "yes", "no", and some names. She..."
This Is Just A Test

"THIS IS JUST A TEST takes readers back to the year 1983. It follows David who is both Jewish and..."
With the Might of Angels (Dear America)

"Scholastic is bringing us new editions of the Dear America series and I couldn't be happier. I loved this series..."
Castle of Concrete

"What an amazing debut novel - it weaves together fascinating characters, political upheaval, anti-Semitism, and conflicted love interests into a..."
Stone River Crossing

"Martha Tom lives in a town in the Choctaw Nation in 1804, right across the Bok Chitto River from a..."
The Summer of '69

"Lucas' summer is ruined when his girlfriend Robin decides to be a camp counselor some distance from their Long Island..."
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)

"Danny has a violent streak, frequently pounding on his younger brother for pounding on another brother. His single father has..."
An Assassin's Guide to Love & Treason

"AN ASSASSIN’S GUIDE TO LOVE & TREASON by Virginia Boecker is such a breath of fresh air. It’s a YA..."
Privateer's Apprentice

"Privateer themed books can so easily go the way of the ridiculous and over the top. Not so with Privateer’s..."
Unbound: A Novel in Verse

"All her life, Grace has been told the rules she must follow to survive: keep eyes down, keep mouth shut,..."
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)

"Feedback What a change from book one! While I enjoyed Timekeeper, it took me a while to truly engage..."
The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel: A Story of Sleepy Hollow

" "The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel" is a retelling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow from the point-of-view of..."
The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel: A Story of Sleepy Hollow

"A romantic, female-driven gothic tale of star-crossed lovers with a real-world twist on Washington Irving’s classic ‘The Legend of Sleepy..."
Journey of the Pale Bear

"JOURNEY OF THE PALE BEAR is an inspiring and heartwarming story about a bear and a boy who develop a..."
G.I. Dogs: Sergeant Stubby, Hero Pup of World War I (G.I. Dogs #2)

"Stubby was adopted from the streets of Boston by Bob Conroy, who managed to sneak him on the ship his..."