Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

gorgeous, lyrical, and incredible epic fantasy

SPIN THE DAWN is an unbelievably fantastic read with some elements of a high-stakes PROJECT RUNWAY, some elements of FLAME IN THE MIST, and a whole new adventure, romance, and captivating plot. Maia is the only daughter of a tailor in a kingdom where women are wives and men can have trades. Her three older brothers have talents that have nothing to do with the tailoring trade, and so, it is unfortunate that Maia is the one with the skills, but born female.

The kingdom is at war, and her brothers must go fight. Maia is left alone with her father, as her mother died when she was young. As her father is ailing, he cannot work and thus, they would starve. Maia instead takes on the work, running the shop and doing the tailoring. The war is barely ended with peace won by the emperor agreeing to marry the daughter of his rival. When the imperial tailor dies, Maia’s father is called to the imperial city to work for the emperor, based on some work Maia had done with her skill. Instead, Maia poses as her brother, Keton, and travels in his stead.

Once she arrives, she enters a contest with eleven other men who will compete at difficult tasks to become the imperial tailor. The competition is high stakes with short time allotments and increasingly strange requests (much like PROJECT RUNWAY)- as well as competitors who are willing to sabotage and maybe even murder to win. Reluctantly aided by the scissors gifted to her from her father and the imperial enchanter, Edan, Maia is eager to prove herself and her skills to win the competition.

However, her trials are soon to become even more difficult when the bride-to-be requests dresses of legend that would require Maia to undergo impossible tasks and face incredible odds to create them- but the alternative is too terrible to imagine.

What I loved: The world and character building in the book are incredible. Maia leaps off the page, as do the many other characters that appear- her family and the people at the imperial court- they are all so beautifully crafted that they are easy to imagine. With lyrical prose, this world blooms before our eyes as Maia must compete and then accomplish the impossible.

With the addition of a forbidden romance, this book completely enchanted me from start to finish. I loved it at the expense of sleep, and I have absolutely no regrets. With feminism, adventure, danger, and sacrifice, this book is simply gorgeous. The plot is unbelievably engrossing, and the writing style is simply perfect. Information is revealed in a seamless way to keep the reader engaged without bogging down any part of the story with details. With magic, myths, and romance, this book is other-worldly amazing.

Final verdict: Fans of Sarah J. Maas, Renee Ahdieh, Rae Carson, and Sabaa Tahir will revel in this incredible new YA fantasy. I highly recommend for anyone of any age looking for an extraordinary read. This book builds a new world and characters who quickly intrigued me and became close to my heart- readers will not regret picking up this gorgeously lyrical and lush YA fantasy/adventure!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)
Me, Shakespeare and the Anti-Love Club
Heartbroken and spurned Kassidy starts an Anti-Love Club in response...

0.0 (0)
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
Sacrifice all you have to survive. ...

0.0 (0)
The Akakies, a peaceful, technologically advanced alien species known as...

0.0 (0)
A new, revised edition of Edward Willett’s multi-award-winning young adult...

0.0 (0)
Love at First Fight
Band Geek vs Quarterback... One humiliating photo, a stupid...

0.0 (0)
Ellie Quinn has spent most of her sixteen years behind...

0.0 (0)
King Geek vs the Cheerleader Julia Farrow...

0.0 (0)
Gamer vs Player Some girls have a...

0.0 (0)
Long live Solaris. One bloodthirsty ruler has...

0.0 (0)
Librarian turned sorcerer. Sorcerer turned hero. Hero turned puppet. ...

0.0 (0)
A woman awoken in air, a soldier forged by fire,...

0.0 (0)
Soldier... Sorcerer... Savior... Who is Vhalla Yarl? ...

0.0 (0)
A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable magic...

0.0 (0)
No Place Like Here
Ashlyn Zanotti has big plans for the summer. She’s...

0.0 (0)
The Mermaid Upstairs
Yesterday 16-year-old Emily’s mother was a high-powered attorney. Today...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Second Star (The Neverland Transmissions)

"SECOND STAR alternates POV between Peter and Wendy. It starts off with Peter sabotaging Captain Hooke's ship and stranding them..."
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)

"THE LAST HOPE is a thrilling conclusion to the THE RAGING ONES duology. As we know from the first book,..."
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

"SPIN THE DAWN is an unbelievably fantastic read with some elements of a high-stakes PROJECT RUNWAY, some elements of FLAME..."
The Chosen (Contender, #1)

"MAZE RUNNER meets LAND OF THE LOST in this engaging page-turner full of twists and turns in an epic tale..."
The Deceiver's Heart

"THE DECEIVER'S HEART opens in an epic way. Kestra tries to kill Lord Endrick, but fails and tries to escape..."
The Grace Year

"What worked: Just wowza. This is one intense, haunting tale of girls that are banished on their sixteenth year to..."
Castle of Concrete

"What an amazing debut novel - it weaves together fascinating characters, political upheaval, anti-Semitism, and conflicted love interests into a..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"Tiffany D. Jackson has knocked it out of the park yet again with LET ME HEAR A RHYME. When Steph..."
The Dark Beneath the Ice

"THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is a stunningly written YA horror that follows Marianne as she starts losing time, sees..."
Again, But Better

"The author’s writing style makes this book a joy to read from start to finish. I started reading it on..."
The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)

"THE STORM CROW is an engrossing and imaginative YA fantasy. Anthia (Thia) is a princess of Rhodaire and eagerly awaits..."
Overturned

"Top 3 reasons you need to read Overturned by Lamar Giles (and read the rest of his books while you're..."
The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)

"If you love a snarky heroine, surprise twists and turns, and a fairytale-themed plot, THE EVIL QUEEN is designed to..."
How It Feels to Float

"This story follows the life of Biz, a teenaged girl. Biz lives with her family, goes to school, explores her..."
Stepsister

""The wolves in the woods have sharp teeth and long claws, bit it's the wolf inside who will tear you..."
Breakout

"BREAKOUT is a thrilling and fast-paced YA sci-fi/dystopian. Lezah is in prison for a crime she cannot remember. This future..."
Wilder Girls

"It's been eighteen months since Hetty and her friends have been quarantined at the Raxter School for Girls. A deadly..."
Just Jaime

"'Just Jaime' by Terri Libenson captures the truth of middle school – a time when friendships are haunted by worry..."
All of Us with Wings

"ALL OF US WITH WINGS is a quirky fantasy/magical realism that follows three main points-of-view. First, we have Xochi, a..."
The Kingdom

"Westworld meets Disney World in this deliciously engaging YA fantasy/thriller. THE KINGDOM follows Ana, one of seven Fantasists that are..."