Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Great YA historical fiction.

After her father's untimely death, Ruth Robb's mother uproots her and her little sister from New York City to Atlanta, Georgia. The main issue? Ruth is Jewish and she doesn't want anyone to know. Segregation and blatant racism still loom large in the 1950's South. Because Ruth's mother was raised in Atlanta, Ruth is able to hind behind her grandparents non-Jewishness. Ruth must wrestle between being popular and being who she truly is.I really think books like 'In the Neighborhood of True', are important for young adults of today. It helps them to realize that segregation and the civil rights movement are not things of ancient history but things that happened a short time ago. Desegregation here in Florida is something that was actively happening when I was in elementary school and segregation was still very much alive when my parents were in high school. An interesting topic for me was the situation with Ruth and the 'colored' water fountains. My mom was six in 1958. Her family had just moved to Florida from upstate NY.  When she took a drink from the 'colored' water fountain at a department store, she was summarily yelled at by a store employee. So these types of events are things of living memory.I appreciated that Carlton made Ruth a very flawed character. The fact that she and her grandmother hide that Ruth is Jewish so that she could attend 'wasp' country clubs and a Christian school made her believable. I  also think this is a reality for most teenagers who are put in Ruth's situation (especially in that time period).I loved that Ruth had two sisters in the story. I really feel there is a tendency in YA contemporary to make the protagonist an only child or child with absent siblings. I think this tendency is such a shame because for most of us our siblings are a major part of our young adult experience.I did have some issues with some of the dialogue. Sometimes it felt kind of clunky and confusing. For example, sometimes I couldn't tell who was talking or what they were talking about. Some of this may be due to the format of my digital ARC. I also felt that at times Ruth felt a little young for her age. I kept thinking she was thirteen or fourteen.The only other issue I had with 'In the Neighborhood of True' is Mr. Hank. I am a little torn whether his character was realistic for the time and place. I'm just not sure the outspoken liberal attitude of his newspaper would have been tolerated. I realize he owned the newspaper and that made him powerful and influential but I just don't see him not being shunned in his social circle.I really enjoyed 'In the Neighborhood of True' and it's message. I would love to read more YA historical fiction and I can't wait to read more from Susan Kaplan Carlton.

Good Points
An important point in history.
Realistic character.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)
Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)
Dreamland
In his sleep, Louie starts visiting a magical world where...

0.0 (0)
Me, Shakespeare and the Anti-Love Club
Heartbroken and spurned Kassidy starts an Anti-Love Club in response...

0.0 (0)
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
Sacrifice all you have to survive. ...

0.0 (0)
NewBookCover.jpg
The Akakies, a peaceful, technologically advanced alien species known as...

5.0 (1)
A new, revised edition of Edward Willett’s multi-award-winning young adult...

0.0 (0)
Love at First Fight
Band Geek vs Quarterback... One humiliating photo, a stupid...

0.0 (0)
Ellie Quinn has spent most of her sixteen years behind...

0.0 (0)
King Geek vs the Cheerleader Julia Farrow...

0.0 (0)
Gamer vs Player Some girls have a...

0.0 (0)
Long live Solaris. One bloodthirsty ruler has...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

No Place Like Here

"NO PLACE LIKE HERE is an engaging and summery YA contemporary that emphasizes healing and friendship. Ashlyn is at the..."
The Iliad

"Long ago in Ancient Greece, a prince of Troy, Paris, steals the most beautiful woman in the world from another..."
Second Star (The Neverland Transmissions)

"SECOND STAR alternates POV between Peter and Wendy. It starts off with Peter sabotaging Captain Hooke's ship and stranding them..."
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)

"THE LAST HOPE is a thrilling conclusion to the THE RAGING ONES duology. As we know from the first book,..."
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

"SPIN THE DAWN is an unbelievably fantastic read with some elements of a high-stakes PROJECT RUNWAY, some elements of FLAME..."
The Chosen (Contender, #1)

"MAZE RUNNER meets LAND OF THE LOST in this engaging page-turner full of twists and turns in an epic tale..."
The Deceiver's Heart

"THE DECEIVER'S HEART opens in an epic way. Kestra tries to kill Lord Endrick, but fails and tries to escape..."
The Grace Year

"What worked: Just wowza. This is one intense, haunting tale of girls that are banished on their sixteenth year to..."
Castle of Concrete

"What an amazing debut novel - it weaves together fascinating characters, political upheaval, anti-Semitism, and conflicted love interests into a..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"Tiffany D. Jackson has knocked it out of the park yet again with LET ME HEAR A RHYME. When Steph..."
The Dark Beneath the Ice

"THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is a stunningly written YA horror that follows Marianne as she starts losing time, sees..."
Again, But Better

"The author’s writing style makes this book a joy to read from start to finish. I started reading it on..."
The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)

"THE STORM CROW is an engrossing and imaginative YA fantasy. Anthia (Thia) is a princess of Rhodaire and eagerly awaits..."
Overturned

"Top 3 reasons you need to read Overturned by Lamar Giles (and read the rest of his books while you're..."
The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)

"If you love a snarky heroine, surprise twists and turns, and a fairytale-themed plot, THE EVIL QUEEN is designed to..."
How It Feels to Float

"This story follows the life of Biz, a teenaged girl. Biz lives with her family, goes to school, explores her..."
Stepsister

""The wolves in the woods have sharp teeth and long claws, bit it's the wolf inside who will tear you..."
Breakout

"BREAKOUT is a thrilling and fast-paced YA sci-fi/dystopian. Lezah is in prison for a crime she cannot remember. This future..."
Wilder Girls

"It's been eighteen months since Hetty and her friends have been quarantined at the Raxter School for Girls. A deadly..."
Just Jaime

"'Just Jaime' by Terri Libenson captures the truth of middle school – a time when friendships are haunted by worry..."