Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

character-driven mystery/suspense

THE LOVELY AND THE LOST follows Kira, a girl who was once found by search and rescue (SAR) and who is now seeking certification to become a SAR partner with her dog Saskia. Kira does not have many memories from the time before she was found in the woods, but she has worked through her biggest issues from her weeks surviving and enjoys life with her mother, Cady, her brother, Jude, and their neighbor and near-family friend, Free. Kira feels very connected to the dogs they train and the people in the family.

When Cady’s father shows up asking for help to locate a missing girl in a large national forest, the family travels to Sierra Glades with their dogs to try to find the nine-year-old Bella. As they begin to search, Kira begins to have flashbacks to the life she had forgotten. As time passes and the trail is harder to follow, the plot around the family thickens- both with Kira’s past and also with the past that Cady left behind (including who is Jude’s father). At the same time, a boy with his own haunted past, Gabriel, is also holding secrets that will play in to the overall story.

What I loved: The pacing in this book was absolutely perfect, driving the reader through chapter to chapter with a lot of mystery/suspense. The flashbacks added some extra intrigue, but many characters are hiding secrets, so the plot is full of things to keep the reader’s interest- not to mention the mystery of what happened to Bella. As the story develops, we explore not only the present but also the past and how it weaves into who the characters have become.

The characters themselves are easy to engage with and like. Jude was especially a favorite with his eternal optimism and funny quips. Despite having so many characters, they were all distinct, memorable, and easy to follow. The premise with the SAR was also engaging and provided an interesting backdrop for everything else that was happening. This was truly a page-turner that begs to be read in a single sitting, so I would not recommend starting it at bedtime!

What left me wanting more: Pretty much nothing! This is truly a great story, and although pretty much all the major plotlines were wrapped up, there is one that adds an air of the unknown to the ending. As not everything is wrapped up in a bow at the end, I have hopes that this could be a series- and I would be fully on board with that!

Final verdict: This is a truly engaging character-driven YA mystery/suspense with a unique story and unputdownable pacing. I highly recommend for people who like complex plots and light thrillers.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Astronaut Who Painted the Moon: The True Story of Alan Bean
As a boy, Alan wanted to fly planes. As a...

0.0 (0)
As Far as the Stars
Christopher is the sort of guy that no one notices,...

0.0 (0)
This Cruel Design
The nightmare of the outbreak is finally...

0.0 (0)
Big Red School (Clifford)
Clifford misses his best friend Emily Elizabeth every day when...

0.0 (0)
Finding Me by Kelly Gunderman
Tagline: Can you ever truly love someone who robbed you...

0.0 (0)
Don't Date Rosa Santos
Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's what...

0.0 (0)
An unforgettable name… A longing to be invisible… ...

5.0 (1)
I Got Next
It’s game day! In this action-packed picture book from Daria...

0.0 (0)
A Friend for Bently
Like all pigs, Bently loves to play in the mud,...

0.0 (0)
The Great Pumpkin Contest
Mimi and Clara are neighbors. Both cats want to win...

0.0 (0)
Save Your Friends!
This laugh-out-loud adventure encourages family sharing and is a perfect...

0.0 (0)
Dibs!
Teaching your little brother his first word —dibs —is funny....

0.0 (0)
Where Are You From?
This resonant picture book tells the story of one girl...

0.0 (0)
Out of Place
When twelve-year-old Cove Bernstein becomes the target of a school-wide...

0.0 (0)
Salvation Day
A lethal virus is awoken on an abandoned spaceship in...

0.0 (0)
Bobby Ether and the Jade Academy
When sixteen-year-old Bobby Ether is abducted and brought to the...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles

"This is a raw, honest portrayal of YA authors struggles with mental health. Thirty-one authors share their stories which include..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"The protagonist and narrator is Kristina Georgia Snow, a straight A high school student, who travels to Albuquerque, New Mexico..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"In Crank raw pain, a deepening addiction, and a crumbling family come together to tell a real, powerful story. I..."
Tricks

"OMG talk about a bumpy ride on an emotional path! I felt like this book showed me places I am..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Ellen Hopkins has done it again! The stories that she brings to life are amazing! These are stories that we..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"I sat down, right before dinner, meaning to read a few of the poems in Burned, just see what Ellen..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"Books in verse are not my favorite, but Ellen Hopkins manages to get me hooked regardless of that fact. ..."
Crank (Crank #1)

KayKay
"I just got addicted to Crank. That's ironic, even though I was just talking about the book. But I seriously..."
Crank (Crank #1)

" So I read this book last weekend. I had gotten it from the library after seeing it on the..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"Reader reviewed by Zac Crank By: Ellen Hopkins I read the book Crank and..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Reader reviewed by ivree ( shawtie) Burned  By: Ellen Hopkins Burned by; Ellen Hopkins..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Reader reviewed by Chrissy Lu-Lu I loved this awesome tale of heartbreak, temptations, and what really happens with truth...."
A New Dawn  Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series

"This is a collection of essays from some YA authors on the Twilight series. You'd think this would be..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Reader reviewed by Cari Finishing Burned was sort of a let down and more so than the books in ..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Reader reviewed by Katelyn (The Bookshelf Sophisticate) Now with this being the 7th and newest installment in the House..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Reader reviewed by Violetta Burned was such an amazing book. I've read many book through out my life just like everyone..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"Reader reviewed by Sierra Goodman This was a great amazing heart wrenching book! It shows the strugles drugs can bring..."
Burned (Burned #1)

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick this book is defenitely A FIVE! it is sooooooo good. it's romantic(i'm a hopeless romantic), it's funny,..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"Reader reviewed by Toni Johnson Based on a true story, Kristina Snow has the perfect life. Until she..."
Crank (Crank #1)

"Reader reviewed by KatT This is an amazing book, a must read for anyone and everyone. I have to say..."