Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Girl with the Broken Heart

THE GIRL WITH THE BROKEN HEART is Lurlene McDaniel’s latest YA contemporary novel. The story follows Kenzie as she throws herself into her summer job, putting all her attention on recuperating rescued horses. She’s hoping this will be enough of a distraction from her heart condition, her problematic relationship with her father, and her sister’s recent passing, but Austin, Kenzie’s stableman hired to help her, seems intent on dredging all of those feelings out of her, plus some more. Kenzie can’t deny her growing attraction to Austin, but she doesn’t know his full story and he’s not too willing to share it.

What works well in this book is how McDaniel’s sets up the air of mystery around Austin. She doesn’t give him just one secret, but instead leaves room for multiple surprises. By cluing the readers in on this fact from the beginning, she seamlessly injects thriller aspects into an otherwise straightforward romance story. I couldn’t guess Austin’s final twist, but I really like where McDaniel takes his character. In fact, I would have loved to know about him earlier on, because it would have made more sense as to why he needed to keep his distance from Kenzie and it would have heightened the tension between them.

For a lot of the book, the relationship between Kenzie and Austin feels difficult just for the sake of being difficult. Kenzie’s dislike of him from the beginning is a little forced and sometimes their dialogue is stilted. There is also a weird shifting perspective that happens between the two of them at random intervals. A consistent POV would have helped with the pacing and even the suspense.

With that being said, THE GIRL WITH THE BROKEN HEART is completely on brand for McDaniel and will appeal to any of her fans, especially those who have read LOSING GABRIEL or SOMEBODY’S BABY. McDaniel sets her most recent novel back in Windemere, Tennessee, and it’s really fun to see her former characters, Lani, Dawson, and Cole make brief cameos.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Merbaby's Lullaby
Hush, foam rocker, sleep, wave breaker. ...

0.0 (0)
Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
Raised among the ruins of a conquered mountain nation, Maren...

0.0 (0)
The Virtue of Sin
Miriam lives in New Jerusalem, a haven in the desert...

0.0 (0)
Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)
Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)
Dreamland
In his sleep, Louie starts visiting a magical world where...

0.0 (0)
Me, Shakespeare and the Anti-Love Club
Heartbroken and spurned Kassidy starts an Anti-Love Club in response...

0.0 (0)
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
Sacrifice all you have to survive. ...

0.0 (0)
NewBookCover.jpg
The Akakies, a peaceful, technologically advanced alien species known as...

5.0 (1)
A new, revised edition of Edward Willett’s multi-award-winning young adult...

0.0 (0)
Love at First Fight
Band Geek vs Quarterback... One humiliating photo, a stupid...

0.0 (0)
Ellie Quinn has spent most of her sixteen years behind...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Storm and Fury

"With Armentrout’s characteristic snark and swoony romance, STORM AND FURY will not disappoint fans who have been eagerly awaiting this..."
Storm and Fury

"Trinity has never been allowed to leave her home compound because of her secret. Here, she has friends, a protector,..."

"This is a very good book to read if you're into fantasy and teen romance. I really enjoy reading this..."
White Stag: A Novel (Permafrost, #1)

"WHITE STAG is a really fantastic YA fantasy that I was absolutely pulled into and found it hard to put..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"Wow besides the awesome title Beneath A Sinister Moon the inside of this book is even better. Things I wanted..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"If you thought Book 1 Between the Bleeding Willows was great you haven't read nothing yet. Within the Darkest Hollows..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"After Cassidy Ravanaugh's boyfriend Jace dies she goes to find a ring that he had been wearing. but get gets..."
Fresh Ink: An Anthology

"Anthologies have such a special place in my heart. The art of the short story is undervalued and it’s just..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"An amazing conclusion to this epic paranormal series! It did leave it open for the possibilities of more books but..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"Another amazing book in this series! These definitely need to be read in order to be enjoyed and understood. I..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"An exciting and fast paced read, that draws you in from the first page. I really felt for Cassidy. She's..."
Soul Screamers, Vol. 1: My Soul to Lose / My Soul to Take / My Soul tSave (Soul Screamers 0.5-2)

"This collection consists of a novella and two short novels put together in a first "volume." As they are pretty..."
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3)

""Blue Lily, Lily Blue" is a captivating, haunting continuation of the Raven Boys series. Here, Blue's mother is missing after..."
The Collector (Dante Walker #1)

"I have some mixed feelings. "The Collector" follows Dante in the first person- he is telling us his story. Dante..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
The Agony House

"Denise Farber and her mother and stepfather have moved back to New Orleans. Denise lost her grandmother and father to..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles #2)

""Bewitching" continues the story of the witch Kendra and retells multiple fairytales. The book begins with her origin story, losing..."
Freeks

""Freeks" is a captivating paranormal mystery. Mara has lived all her life with a circus, traveling from one place to..."
FREEKS

""Freeks" is a captivating paranormal mystery. Mara has lived all her life with a circus, traveling from one place to..."