Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

dark, engrossing, and fantastic

WHITE STAG is a really fantastic YA fantasy that I was absolutely pulled into and found it hard to put down. We mainly follow Janneke/Janneka (male/female declension as she was raised to be a male heir), a human who was captured and brought into the Permafrost by a goblin. Since then, she has been a thrall (slave) to goblins. The first goblin (Lydian) who enslaved her tortured her (see warnings below) before giving her as a gift to his nephew (Soren). Soren has treated her quite differently, as a friend/confidante, and in that time, Janneke has begun to trust him although she has never forgotten what he is (a monster as she was raised to believe).

Janneke both fears and hates Lydian, determined to kill him but frightened of the terrible torture he inflicted on her. At a goblin gathering, she begins to fight with him (and thus Soren joins in to protect her). The fight ends because the Erlking (goblin king) has died and the stag has been released. The white stag is the embodiment of the goblin king's power and belongs to the strongest goblin. The deadly hunt begins, all the goblins who wish to become king heading out to find the stag and become the next king, forming temporary alliances and frequently backstabbing. Before they leave, Soren tells Janneke something she finds quite frightening- she may be joining with the permafrost as a changeling, transforming into the "monsters" she fears- a goblin. Determined to fight it with every beat of her heart, Janneke is thrust even further into the dangerous realm and the deadly politics that are arising.

Full of magical creatures, battles, and even a touch of romance, this book was absolutely incredible, and I really loved every step of the journey. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who loves engaging YA fantasy. However, I would add warnings for rape (in the past/acknowledged, not described in too much detail), torture (physical and mental), and mutilation (could fall under torture).

One of the major themes of the book is that our choices are what make us monsters, not our very essence, and that everyone could be a monster to someone else/elements of perspective (you are a monster to the animals you kill for food or to the grass that you walk on, etc.). This was a really important and intriguing discussion which underlies a lot of the epiphanies in the book. To add to that, the characters were all very well fleshed out and there were so many I really enjoyed, especially Seppo, but also of course the main two of Soren and Janneke. Although the description talks about Janneke being raised as a male, this was a relatively smaller piece of the story and only mentioned occasionally in reflections/was not as big a part of the book as I expected from the description. Instead, we mostly see Janneke's journey to come to terms with all her past, present, and future and understand/appreciate who she is.

Overall, I really loved this story, and I cannot wait until the next is released. While there's a bit of a lead-in to the next book, this one is wrapped up/not a big cliffhanger. This was an incredible world, and I absolutely loved every second I spent in it. Recommend for people who enjoy dark YA fantasy.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Werewolf Queen
I always wished I had supernatural powers. Now I wish...

0.0 (0)
Unicorns Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)
Stardust and glitter and rainbows, oh my! Did you know...

0.0 (0)
This Is Not a Love Scene
Lights, camera―all Maeve needs is action. But at eighteen, a...

0.0 (0)
Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc
Bestselling author David Elliott explores how Joan of Arc...

0.0 (0)
Dragons Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)
Moonlight and courage and sparks, oh my! That's what dragons...

0.0 (0)
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe
Who do you become when you have nothing left...

0.0 (0)
Leaving Jackson Wolf
Passing through the transition hallway at South Park High...

0.0 (0)
Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)
King Arthur as you've never imagined! This bold, sizzling...

0.0 (0)
Tuned Into You
A summer party is the last place Lydia Flowers...

0.0 (0)
Beware the Night (Beware the Night, #1)
When her world divides, pitting light against dark, Veda...

0.0 (0)
controlfreak_wordart (wecompress.com).png
He actually gets the girl in this story. His perfect...

0.0 (0)
The Soul of Power (The Waking Land, #3)
One young woman learns the true nature of power—both her...

0.0 (0)
Oath Taker
Light magic is forbidden. Dark magic spells death....

0.0 (0)
Twisted Saga Collection 1
Save almost 40% off the price of the single books...

0.0 (0)
The Sin Soldiers Cover
Red compound makes them angry. Yellow exhausts them. Blue drives...

0.0 (0)
Hunter's Truce
The Big Bad Wolf never killed for fun—he was on...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Unicorns Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)

"UNICORNS ARE REAL! is a bright, colorful, and cute book about unicorns. The images really leap off the page with..."
Dragons Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)

"This adorable board book brings dragons to life in a very fun way with bright and vivid images and cute..."
Dragonfell

"DRAGONFELL is a fun middle grade that addresses being different and not fitting in easily in the context of a..."
Hurricane Season

"HURRICANE SEASON is a powerful middle grade novel that deals with some really important issues. Finola (nicknamed Fig) is in..."
So Many Sounds

"So Many Sounds is a fun bedtime story that will surly engage the child who doesn’t want to sleep, and..."
Gittel's Journey: An Ellis Island Story

"Gittel’s Journey tells the story of a brave young Jewish girl immigrating to the United States from Easter Europe, all..."
The Flight of Mr. Finch

"The Flight of Mr. Finch is a sweet story about the power of friendship and the importance of self-sacrifice. Lovely..."
Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a  Bag, # 1)

"Dragons in a Bag is a whimsical, moving, and magical tale. Perfectly tailored to it’s intended audience, Dragons In a..."
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

"Set somewhere around a year after the events of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Eustace Scrubb remains much better..."
Are You Ready to Hatch An Unusual Chicken? (Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer #2)

"Are You Ready To Hatch An Unusual Chicken? is a delightful follow-up to Kelly Jones's Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional..."
Frankfurt

"What I Loved: -The adorable Frankfurt- What this picture book does best is offer a truly adorable and humorous dog..."
Clifford the Big Red Dog

"CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG is a classic for a reason- the images are full of fun and the text..."
Autumn Babies (Babies in the Park)

"This cute board book features children playing in the park during the fall. With vivid autumn colors and two word..."
Stick Cat: Two Cats and a Baby (#4)

"Life is good for Stick Cat and Edith now that their owners Goose and Tiffany have married. Stick Cat enjoys..."
Bird and Squirrel All Tangled Up

" Red, Squirrel, and Birdie are a happy family, but Squirrel is very anxious about letting Birdie do anything at..."
8 Notes to a Nobody (Bird Face book one)

"This is the first book in Cynthia T. Toney’s Birdface series which follows Wendy, a young Louisiana teen, through her..."
The Other Side of Freedom

"I knew of Toney’s flawless ability to write from a modern teenage girl’s perspective, so was curious when I heard..."
Winter Babies (Babies in the Park)

"This board book features lovely photos alongside short phrases that describe winter in the park. While very brief and with..."
8 Notes to a Nobody (Bird Face book one)

"The main character, Wendy, is realistic and sympathetically portrayed, so much so that the book drew me in and transported..."
The Other Side of Freedom

"This stellar novel spotlights the trials of Italian immigrants during the era of Prohibition. I'd heard of Al Capone and..."