Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A solid hit

Anthologies have such a special place in my heart. The art of the short story is undervalued and it’s just really cool to see a bunch of authors you like sharing space inside the pages of a book. As one of two anthologies put together thus far by We Need Diverse Books, it’s full of #ownvoices stories spanning multiple genres and it might just be my favorite anthology yet.

The unquestionable stand-out is Nicola Yoon’s short story, which is also the last one in the book. A black superhero decides he’s going to destroy the world unless someone convinces him otherwise, so his first rescue–a black girl his age–is chosen and sent in to talk him down. The superpowers don’t make the story feel any less real; the pain in its pages will hit you like a bullet. It’s about disillusionment and how black kids are supposed to have hope for a world that treats them so cruelly.

Sure, I disliked both of Yoon’s novels so far, but this story right here? This story RIGHT HERE? I want to buy a second copy of Fresh Ink, rip the pages holding Yoon’s story out of the book, and pin them to my wall. It got me that good.

That’s not to say her story is the only good one either. As you might expect from such kidlit legends, Gene Luen Yang’s and Walter Dean Myers’ contributions are strong entries as well. The former’s comic sees a few D&D-playing teens wander over to a party; Myers’ posthumous publication is a one-act play starring four ghostly boys who are literally kept alive by graffiti memorializing them. If they can’t replace their tags quickly enough or all of it is erased, they’ll disappear.

And two more excellent stories: Schuyler Bailar’s semi-autobiographical tale of a trans boy showing up transphobia in his first practice with the cis boys and Melissa de la Cruz’s small sequel to her YA novel Something in Between. Naturally, if you haven’t read that novel, her story is gonna spoil some things for you.

Some of the stories left me whelmed, but none of them were bad to any degree. So yeah, it has my worthless seal of approval! If you see this book somewhere, GET IIIIIIT. Too much money for you when it’s at full price? Keep an eye on it to see if it goes on sale for cheap, at which time you should

GET

THIS

BOOK.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)
Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)
What About Harry?
From New York Times bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson comes the...

0.0 (0)
Roary the Lion Roars Too Loud (Wee Beasties)
Help little ones learn how to use their inside voices...

0.0 (0)
It’s the year 2191 and the last known civilization hides...

0.0 (0)
The Haunted
Clean slate. That's what Hendricks Becker-O'Malley's parents said when they...

0.0 (0)
The Art of Losing
On one terrible night, 17-year-old Harley Langston’s life changes...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war....

0.0 (0)
OverRun (The OverRuled Series, book 2)
TWO LIVES BOUND BY ONE LIE. Magic...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

"This book has EVERYTHING and is the ultimate, magical experience for fans of FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. There..."
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book

"This coloring book will take you on a magical adventure into the story THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. The pictures are..."
Mike

"Floyd is a very good young tennis player who has worked very closely with his supportive parents to do well...."
The Blood Spell

"Based loosely on the tale of Cinderella, The Blood Spell is the fourth standalone installment for the Ravenspire series of..."
The Haunted

"Hendricks and her family buy an old building in Drearford, New York after an incident. Her family 'hopes' this will..."
Just For Clicks

"Claire and her twin sister, Poppy, are ‘internet famous’. Every part of their lives have been blogged, photographed, and recorded..."
Obsidian (Lux #1)

"That's why I love paranormal romances :D"
On the Fence

"I'm a sucker for YA and Friends to Lovers romance, and Kasie West is one of my favorite YA author..."
Alienated (Alienated #1)

"I think I fell in love! Aelyx and Cara’s romance is of the slow-burn kind.... simply swoony! The..."
P.S. I Like You

"Be yourself, even when you don’t fit in! Two teenagers who both felt like something was missing in their lives..."
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

"NYC will never be the same after reading this great Urban Fantasy... Even my heart will never be the same..."
Catching Jordan

"It's sooooo cute!!!!!! I shipped Jordan and Sam pretty much from page 1. I can't praise this book enough...."
The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1)

"This book is absolutely amazing! Beautifully written and compelling, with memorable characters. I was completed invested in each of them!..."
On the Fence

"I've read this book twice now, and I can't stop thinking about it. I feel madly in love with Charlie,..."
Twilight (Twilight #1)

"Twilight is the epic love story of Edward and Bella. Forget any vampire romance you have read before, Twilight is..."
The Art of Losing

"Seventeen-year-old Harley has been dating Mike for a couple of years, and being his girlfriend gives her a status and..."
Midnight Angel

"Such a fantastic book. The story: Naomi is the daughter of harsh parents. They're part of a cult and..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"Wow besides the awesome title Beneath A Sinister Moon the inside of this book is even better. Things I wanted..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"If you thought Book 1 Between the Bleeding Willows was great you haven't read nothing yet. Within the Darkest Hollows..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"After Cassidy Ravanaugh's boyfriend Jace dies she goes to find a ring that he had been wearing. but get gets..."