Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Amazing Anthology

Original Review: literarychaos.com

Anthologies have been rather hit or miss for me. Anthologies are tricky, they have to have some uniting factor, or the stories do not feel cohesive enough to be a collection. As a reader, I have also found that many times one or two stories of the collection really pique my interest, and the rest are sub-par. It is difficult to have a collection of stories that not only are cohesive but are all written well enough that one does not outshine the other. This anthology did that.

In fact, this is probably one of the best anthologies I have read thus far. Each story was so unique I never felt like there were any stories that were too similar, nor were there any stories that particularly out of place or sub-par to the others. They were all very different and yet felt cohesive enough to belong in a collection together. One thing that I think I enjoyed and I think helped make the stories feel cohesive was that after every story there was a little blurb about what books, movies, etc. inspired the short stories. Personally, I as a story found it very interesting to see what different works inspired each story.

I was surprised at how many of the stories touched on real-life issues such as serial killers and child-molesters. Going into the book I was expecting monsters of the fictional variety, like demons, vampires, zombies, etc, and while this book did touch on that, it also had a fair amount of real-life horrors as well. For me as a reader, I feel that it made some of the stories a little more realistic and all the creepier. In total, if you like anthologies or are looking for a quick spooky read then this book is for you.

Good Points
Strong Stories, Creepy,
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)
Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)
What About Harry?
From New York Times bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson comes the...

0.0 (0)
Roary the Lion Roars Too Loud (Wee Beasties)
Help little ones learn how to use their inside voices...

0.0 (0)
It’s the year 2191 and the last known civilization hides...

0.0 (0)
The Haunted
Clean slate. That's what Hendricks Becker-O'Malley's parents said when they...

0.0 (0)
The Art of Losing
On one terrible night, 17-year-old Harley Langston’s life changes...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war....

0.0 (0)
OverRun (The OverRuled Series, book 2)
TWO LIVES BOUND BY ONE LIE. Magic...

0.0 (0)
The Step-Spinsters
Once upon a time, in a land far, far...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Lights, Camera, Carmen! (Carmen #2)

"Lights Camera Carmen is a quick-to-read tale of a zealous and outspoken kid destined to make it big. ..."
Knock Knock

"'Knock Knock' by Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Guy Francis, is a cute picture book about a bear getting prepared for..."
No, David!

"In NO, DAVID, David is always being corrected. Whether it's for tracking in mud or playing baseball in the house,..."
Yellow Submarine

"Twice upon a time, once in 1968 and once today, there was an unearthly paradise called Pepperland. In an elaboration..."
A Tree for Emmy

"Emmy likes all trees, but loves the mimosa tree the best. The reason is because her Gramma says they're just..."
Lord Garmadon, Evil Dad (The LEGO Ninjago Movie: Storybook)

"Ideal for beginning readers and avid young fans of the LEGO Ninjago Movie. Lord Gamadon is about as..."
Lion vs. Rabbit

"Lion is not very nice. He bullies the other animals, and they're all afraid to stand up to him. In..."
The Word Collector

"Jerome's hobby is words. He collects them. He classifies them. He loves them. One day, Jerome's collection is scattered, and..."
The Digger and the Flower

"'The Digger and the Flower' by Joseph Kuefler shows the power of goodness when everything else seems to be overtaking..."
Superbat

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a bat in a costume! Pat the bat is a..."
Plant the Tiny Seed

" This book relies on the interactive nature of read-alouds for young children. Beginning with a single zinnia seed, the..."
Blue vs. Yellow

"'Blue vs. Yellow' by Tom Sullivan focused on the creative ways in which those two colors can be used, along..."
Big and Little Are Best Friends

"Big and Little, an elephant and a mouse, are best friends. But their friendship isn't based on common interests. Big..."
Confiscated!

"'Confiscated' by Suzanne Kaufman tells the story of two dinosaur brothers who each want the same toys. When their mother..."
Flowers for Sarajevo

"Haunting and hopeful. The bombing one of the last working bakeries in the city of Sarajevo might have been..."
Plankton Is Pushy

"A quick and comical read, rife with sarcasm. A particular plankton is used to eliciting a response from every..."
Dill & Bizzy: Opposite Day

"'Dill & Bizzy Opposite Day' by Nora Ericson, illustrated by Lisa Ericson, is an adorable story about two best friends..."
Zebra on the Go

"ZEBRA ON THE GO was an overall well put together book. The rhyming had me hanging on each line. The..."
The Story of the Easter Bunny

"THE STORY OF THE EASTER BUNNY is a story I've never heard before. It tells about how the Easter Bunny..."
Shark Dog!

"SHARK DOG! is half-dog, half-shark, and 100 percent the main girl's friend. The main girl, whose name isn't mentioned,..."