Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

engaging YA fantasy

"Give the Dark My Love" is a dark but engaging YA fantasy. Told in alternating perspectives, we follow two characters- Nedra and Grey. Nedra is leaving home in the pursuit of knowledge, seeking to unite the more progressive medical advances of alchemy with the older 'old wives' tales' medical treatments. The beginning of the book is exciting as Nedra is from a poor family but has received a prestigious scholarship, and she is bright-eyed as she enters the Yugen Academy.

Grey is from a wealthy family and at the top of his class (until Nedra appears). He is immediately attracted to her and they become friends, and a romance soon blossoms. However, before you know it, the plot gets darker and darker spiraling into something more engaging albeit harsher. A plague is killing people around the country and in the city of the Academy. Nedra and Grey are working with a professor who is trying to study it and create a cure. There are some pretty horrific descriptions of the victims and the experiences they have (for instance, during a horrible amputation in an effort to save someone's life, the patient dies- Nedra is in shock the whole time; also, what happens when she is with her family).

No one is safe from this plague, and the descriptions of death and illness are not for the faint of heart. This book is a true page-turner that will keep you moving quickly. I had a hard time putting it down and I really enjoyed it- this is a great read, but be forewarned about this- this is not a light fantasy. With themes of poverty and socioeconomic disparities plus the lengths you'll need to go to for answers/a cure and medical ethics, this is a really well-written book. I highly recommend for readers who enjoy darker YA fantasy (e.g. The Young Elites series, Dark Gifts series, The Lone City series)- you won't want to miss this!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Soul of Power (The Waking Land, #3)
One young woman learns the true nature of power—both her...

0.0 (0)
Oath Taker
Light magic is forbidden. Dark magic spells death....

0.0 (0)
Twisted Saga Collection 1
Save almost 40% off the price of the single books...

0.0 (0)
The Sin Soldiers Cover
Red compound makes them angry. Yellow exhausts them. Blue drives...

0.0 (0)
Hunter's Truce
The Big Bad Wolf never killed for fun—he was on...

0.0 (0)
Lions and Lamps
Aladdin-meets-steampunk in this brand-new retelling from K.M. Robinson ...

0.0 (0)
Ode to the Queen
Savannah wants to be a nurse, not a Greek Goddess....

0.0 (0)
Super Humans
A mysterious chest. A terrifying vision. Are their...

0.0 (0)
The Fifth Well: Fate of the Future
Carter, Patrick, Amber, and Ryan discover a set of five...

0.0 (0)
Dragonfell
“An adventurous dragon tale that delivers an emotionally satisfying ending.”...

0.0 (0)
The Goddess and the Guardians Boxset
This digital boxed set includes all four books in the...

0.0 (0)
Finley and the Foster Brother
When a social worker and a truancy officer show up...

0.0 (0)
Of Wolves and Witches
I messed up. I broke two of the Arcane Council's...

0.0 (0)
Two Like Me and You
Edwin Green's ex-girlfriend is famous. We're...

0.0 (0)
Skyward
Spensa's world has been under attack for decades. Now pilots...

0.0 (0)
The Severance
Four enemies. One compromise. No escape. Telly...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Where She Fell

"Eliza is an aspiring geologist and self-professed 'nerd'. Even though she feels like the odd one out, Eliza tries hard..."
Watch You Burn

"Jenny is an arsonist who has an addiction of watching things burn. When she moves in with her dad, she..."
99 Lies (100 Hours, #2)

"99 lies pick up exactly where the last book left off, post-kidnapping—at least for most of them. Genesis and Holden..."
A Sky for Us Alone

"A SKY FOR US ALONE by Kristin Russell is a YA coming-of-age novel filled with mystery and heartache. It’s set..."
Easy Prey

"Easy prey’s story is directly relevant to its title. It tells the story of how when you prey on others,..."
With Malice

"I loved this book, it kept me thinking afterwards for days. "The truth is how you tell it," take that..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

""Ever the Hunted" is an incredible YA fantasy with a touch of romance. The story begins with Britta, starving and..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

"Feedback I adored this book so much! There were so many parts of this book that I just loved...."
Ever the Brave (Clash of Kingdoms book 2)

"Feedback I was so excited to continue this series. There was so much that happened in book one which..."
NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY

"Adrienne Cahill finds herself on an expedition to remote Siberia looking for the fabled Osinov family with her stepfather, Dan,..."
The Color of Lies

"The Color of Lies relies heavily on its interesting characters, not-so-original plot, and captivating writing to keep its reader--but as..."
The Cheerleaders

"Writing reviews for Kara Thomas’s books proved to be a great challenge for me, so I’ll try my very best..."
Weregirl

""Weregirl" takes the reader through a fantastic supernatural mystery within the small town of Tether. Tether's water supply had been..."
Sadie

""Sadie" was a surprisingly emotional and difficult read- even more than I expected based on the description. The book is..."
Dare You to Lie

"DARE YOU TO LIE by Amber Lynn Natusch is a young adult suspense novel that follows Kylene after she moves..."
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)

"Wyatt has a decent life, but when his dad takes off, it dissolves into chaos. His mother doesn't function well,..."
Girl At The Grave

"Valentine was only six years old when her mother was hung for a murder. After the death, Valentine's basically taken..."
The Goldfish Boy

"Twelve-year-old Matthew is reluctant to leave his house due to his fear of illness and germs, so he watches and..."
The Lying Woods

"At first The Lying Woods reads more like a contemporary fiction piece than thriller. Then all of sudden it..."
Wink Poppy Midnight

"Definitely worth the read! A fun book even though it has some creepier turns, and loved Tucholke's writing style!..."