Enchantée Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: December 07, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Enchantée

After the death of her parents to smallpox, Camille Durbonne struggles to get by with her younger sister Sofie. One thing Camille can do is use magic to change metal into coins, but that isn't enough. After her older brother steals her money, she uses dark magic to use glamour to disguise herself as a rich Baroness and gamble with other aristocrats at Versailles. But Camille gets seduced by the glamour of the rich and finds that there is a cost to using the magic. When her secret is revealed, Camille must chose whether to continue using her magic or fight for what she truly believes.

What worked: Fascinating glimpse into 1789 Paris right before the French Revolution. There's magic at the court, but using it comes with a cost. I loved the intrigue of 1789 Paris in the glittering courts of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Also the idea that not only the aristocrats, but Versailles used magic adds to the story.

Camille was a product of her time. Only she had magic to help her rise from the intense poverty that was around her. This didn't stop her from being abused by her older brother. She fights back in the only way she can, by using her ability to use magic. I liked how this ability doesn't come easy to her. The dark element of magic at first repulses her, but she learns to rely on it. She's swept up with the glamour of the court. Her younger sister isn't in the background, but also gets caught up in Camille's lies and attempts to better themselves.

There's also romance in the court and outside. Camille finds herself falling in love with Lazare, who has his own secrets. What's hard for Camille is she's not sure if Lazare will really like her if he knows she's been disguising herself at the court. Her struggles and conflict are shown not only at home, but at Versailles. She finds that she's not the only one using magic and fears being exposed. The king has outlawed magic and the penalty is death.

The addition of the balloons is intriguing too. At this time, balloons were all the rage in Paris. I really liked how the author was able to use this historical fact, along with magic.

Engaging tale of a young girl who uses magic to transform herself into an aristocrat, at first to take back from them, but later falls under the charm of Versailles. Only later does she find that maybe magic isn't enough, especially when it comes to matters of the heart.

Good Points
1. Fascinating glimpse into 1789 Paris
2. Magic among the nobels at Versailles right before the French Revolution
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Just For Clicks
Mommy blogs are great . . . unless the blog...

0.0 (0)
i am Elephant, i am Butterfly
When sixteen-year-old Simone Wheeler is accepted into the elite Camp...

0.0 (0)
Mike
MEET FLOYD. He's a tennis star. Possibly good enough to...

0.0 (0)
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)
Discover the secret missions behind America's greatest conflicts.Danny Manion has...

0.0 (0)
Again, But Better
Shane has been doing college all wrong. Pre-med, stellar grades,...

0.0 (0)
The Summer of '69
With his girlfriend, Robin, away in Canada,...

0.0 (0)
Stick Cat: Two Cats and a Baby (#4)
Now that their owners are married, Stick Cat and his...

0.0 (0)
Waking Nightmare (Hello Neighbor #2)
It's been four months since Nicky Roth has seen his...

0.0 (0)
The Once and Future Geek (The Camelot Code #1)
When young Arthur of Camelot accidentally time-travels to the 21st...

0.0 (0)
Lumberjanes: The Good Egg (Lumberjanes #3)
Welcome to Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for...

0.0 (0)
A Good Kind of Trouble
Twelve-year-old Shayla is allergic to trouble. All she wants to...

0.0 (0)
It Wasn't Me
THE BREAKFAST CLUB meets middle school with...

0.0 (0)
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Start a Club by Accident (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #2)
Sassy and Waldo love school! Everything smells like meat and...

0.0 (0)
Bird and Squirrel All Tangled Up
When Red has to go spend the night helping Grandmole,...

0.0 (0)
How to Defeat a Wizard (Marty Pants #3)
Marty Pants returns to face his archenemy Simon, the so-called...

0.0 (0)
Sweeping Up the Heart
Amelia Albright dreams about going to Florida for spring break...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Just For Clicks

"Claire and her twin sister, Poppy, are ‘internet famous’. Every part of their lives have been blogged, photographed, and recorded..."
The Crystal of Gaea. Aki and the Spheres of Time #5

"Aki and Lilith are off on another exciting adventure, this time to the world of Ancient Greek mythology. This..."
Obsidian (Lux #1)

"That's why I love paranormal romances :D"
On the Fence

"I'm a sucker for YA and Friends to Lovers romance, and Kasie West is one of my favorite YA author..."
EVERY BOY IS A BOOK

"I loved this story so much I didn’t want to stop reading... I wish this book never ended! It’s such..."
Alienated (Alienated #1)

"I think I fell in love! Aelyx and Cara’s romance is of the slow-burn kind.... simply swoony! The..."
P.S. I Like You

"Be yourself, even when you don’t fit in! Two teenagers who both felt like something was missing in their lives..."
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

"NYC will never be the same after reading this great Urban Fantasy... Even my heart will never be the same..."
Catching Jordan

"It's sooooo cute!!!!!! I shipped Jordan and Sam pretty much from page 1. I can't praise this book enough...."
EVERY BOY IS A BOOK

"Every Boy is a Book is the first title I've devoured and loved in 2019. Awesome is not a big..."
The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1)

"This book is absolutely amazing! Beautifully written and compelling, with memorable characters. I was completed invested in each of them!..."
On the Fence

"I've read this book twice now, and I can't stop thinking about it. I feel madly in love with Charlie,..."
Twilight (Twilight #1)

"Twilight is the epic love story of Edward and Bella. Forget any vampire romance you have read before, Twilight is..."
The Art of Losing

"Seventeen-year-old Harley has been dating Mike for a couple of years, and being his girlfriend gives her a status and..."
Dragon's Awakening

"When Kaylee goes on a date and the guy tries to make a move on her, she accidentally calls on..."
Meet Me There

" A fun, sweet romance. The Story: In Meet Me There follows Ashlyn and Luke, two people who couldn't..."
Meet Me There

"'Meet Me There' by Judy Corry follows main characters Luke and Ashlyn. They don't get along too well, especially since..."
Midnight Angel

"Such a fantastic book. The story: Naomi is the daughter of harsh parents. They're part of a cult and..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"Wow besides the awesome title Beneath A Sinister Moon the inside of this book is even better. Things I wanted..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"If you thought Book 1 Between the Bleeding Willows was great you haven't read nothing yet. Within the Darkest Hollows..."