Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Ever the Brave Review

Feedback

I was so excited to continue this series. There was so much that happened in book one which I needed answers for. It wasn’t just about finding the murderer of Saul, but hiding Britta’s channeler’s ability and saving the Kingdom of Malam. This world has so much going on and I was hooked. In this book, there are more pressing matters. Since Britta saved King Aodren, they had become linked and the pull that she felt towards Cohen is now directed at Aodren, and he feels the same. Lord Jamis and Phelia escaped and in order to save all of Malam they need caught.There is a lot of emotional and physical demands in this book, which work perfectly together. I really enjoyed this book because we were able to see more of the troubles in Malam. Like the previous books, there are other issues besides the main plot. In some points I have found this approach to not be successful but Summerill makes it fit together perfectly. The subplots are not overwhelming nor do they take away from the main plot in the story. Her writing has them enhance the storyline tremendously.

Again, I love the characters. I am in love with Britta and Cohen. Seeds, are they perfect for each other. Especially when Cohen calls Britta ‘Dove’ - ugh my heart. Their dynamic is everything. I was really happy that we were able to get Cohen’s point of view in this book, and it was definitely necessary. Along with a new point of view from Cohen, we also get Aodren. I am glad that she didn’t focus on Aodren perspective but it was nice to read from his point of view as well. Since Britta and Aodren were connected through Britta’s channeler magic - there is an attraction between them. This is where the book kind of lost me. I understood the connection between Britta and Aodren but I felt like the introduction of a love triangle wasn’t necessary. I’m not a big fan of triangles to begin with, especially when one of the couples have such a strong connection. This tension didn’t compliment the book and the structure that Summerill had created. If this was never introduced I would have probably enjoyed the book more. While I appreciated the presence of Aodren and his character, I was not a fan of the love triangle.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Ever the Brave by Erin Summerill was a great second book. Her writing style really created a great plot and amazing details. The problems presented are not linear and give the story a necessary depth. I absolutely love Britta and Cohen, along with the new characters that were introduced with this book. While I wasn’t a fan of the love triangle presented, this book was still very enjoyable. I recommend this book for those who enjoyed Ever the Hunted and a great fantasy storyline.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Haunted
Clean slate. That's what Hendricks Becker-O'Malley's parents said when they...

0.0 (0)
The Art of Losing
On one terrible night, 17-year-old Harley Langston’s life changes...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war....

0.0 (0)
OverRun (The OverRuled Series, book 2)
TWO LIVES BOUND BY ONE LIE. Magic...

0.0 (0)
The Step-Spinsters
Once upon a time, in a land far, far...

0.0 (0)
Glamour of Midnight
Fae bounty hunter Loftin’s life depends on him finding...

0.0 (0)
Just For Clicks
Mommy blogs are great . . . unless the...

0.0 (0)
Black Enough: Stories of Being Young and Black in America
Edited by National Book Award finalist Ibi Zoboi, and...

0.0 (0)
i am Elephant, i am Butterfly
When sixteen-year-old Simone Wheeler is accepted into the elite Camp...

0.0 (0)
Mike
MEET FLOYD. He's a tennis star. Possibly good enough to...

0.0 (0)
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)
Discover the secret missions behind America's greatest conflicts.Danny Manion has...

0.0 (0)
Again, But Better
Shane has been doing college all wrong. Pre-med, stellar grades,...

0.0 (0)
The Summer of '69
With his girlfriend, Robin, away in Canada,...

0.0 (0)
Stick Cat: Two Cats and a Baby (#4)
Now that their owners are married, Stick Cat and his...

0.0 (0)
Waking Nightmare (Hello Neighbor #2)
It's been four months since Nicky Roth has seen his...

0.0 (0)
The Once and Future Geek (The Camelot Code #1)
When young Arthur of Camelot accidentally time-travels to the 21st...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Other Side of Freedom

"I loved The Other Side of the Freedom - the writing, the story, the close-knit Italian family, and the early..."
Gogi's Gambit (The Lost Rainforest #2)

"The first of the series follows the panther Mez. This one follows Gogi the monkey. Born under a special moon,..."
From Night Owl to Dogfish

"Avery and Bett are very different girls. Avery lives with her architect father in New York City, loves to write,..."
Queen of the Sea

"Young Margaret lives on an island convent. She doesn’t know who her parents were, but enjoys living among the nuns,..."
Wings of Olympus

"WINGS OF OLYMPUS is a middle grade fantasy that those who love horses and Greek mythology won't want to miss...."
The Ark Plan (Edge of Extinction)

"Over all this is like a mix between The Hunger Games (tyrannical and evil government willing to kill children) and..."
Ocean Renegades! (Earth Before Us #2): Journey through the Paleozoic Era

"In OCEAN RENEGADES, Ronnie takes a trip into the Paleozoic Era with Miss Lernin. Here, she learns all there is..."
The Key to Everything

"Eleven-year-old Tash has been carted off to camp against her will, and she'll be there for a month while her..."
Shine of the Silver Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #11)

"This one picks up where the last one ended. Maldred the evil sorcerer is back and wants to gain control..."
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

"Edward Tulane is a distinguished, but vain, china rabbit. Edward’s girl Abilene loves him and he loves her right back...."
The Competition Begins (Junior Ninja Champion #1)

"Ty Santiago's family runs a gym that has a ninja training obstacle course, so when there is a junior competition..."
UFO Spotted!: A Branches Book (Hilde Cracks the Case #4)

"Hilde is at it again to get a factual story for the newspaper. This time, it's a mysterious flash of..."
Ghoulia

"To Ghoulia, she's just the average girl. To us, she's something completely different: a zombie. Ghoulia's aunt wants her to..."
Lights, Camera, Carmen! (Carmen #2)

"Lights Camera Carmen is a quick-to-read tale of a zealous and outspoken kid destined to make it big. ..."
Going Wild #3: Clash of Beasts

" Charlie, Mac, and Maria are back, having defeated Dr. Gray's army in Predator Vs. Prey. Kelly and Miko, however,..."
Gamer Army

"In a futuristic society where almost everything has gone online, Rogan spends a lot of his time playing the game..."
The Sloth Who Slowed Us Down

"Amy's family rushes for everything. "They walked fast, drove fast, shopped fast, and ate fast." This upsets Amy because there..."
Holes

"Important message. Unique perspective."
Watch Hollow

"Lucy and Oliver Tinker's father repairs clocks for a living, but the business isn't doing well. After the death of..."
Courageous

"Aidan lives in a fishing village in England. His one brother has died in the war, but George is still..."