Review Detail

The Cheerleaders Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

For fans of whodunnit mysteries

Writing reviews for Kara Thomas’s books proved to be a great challenge for me, so I’ll try my very best to produce coherent thoughts along the way.

The story opened up with a great line. “This house was made for someone without a soul.” First line, and I was already captivated. I was really excited to read this book, because Kara Thomas never disappoints. Reading this book got me really excited as I delved into it further.

Monica’s sister, Jen, died along with a string of deaths involving people from the cheerleader team. Five years later, the school wanted to hold a memorial for the cheerleaders but for Monica, she just wanted to forget. I really enjoyed Monica’s character and personality. She definitely stood out among all Thomas’s heroines because of her driven personality. Her thoughts are raw, blunt, and honest, which sometimes lead into confrontations that make my heart burst.

I also love how this book had healthy representation of family dynamics. I mean, Monica and her family doesn’t always see toe to toe, but in general her parents have always been supportive of her, even in times of grief. This book also was one of the few books which has shown a good relationship between the heroine and her step-father. Honestly, I’d live to read more of this kinds of relationships and eventually bury the stereotype of abusive step-parents.

Monica’s friends and their relationship proved to be realistic. They had their ups and downs, especially when Monica started hanging out with Ginny, who was basically an outcast from their circle of friends. However Monica’s intention was clean and she really just wanted to keep her friends away from shady trouble as she tries to find out what really happened to her sister and the cheerleaders.

The ending was solid and it packed a punch. I was obviously dumbstruck, but as always Thomas knows how to deliver a good ending. Of course, I can’t say anything but I’ll let you know that I had to pick my jaw up from the floor.

Kara Thomas has an exceptional caliber that I’m always looking forward to when it comes to thrillers. She knows how to direct readers and maintain the suspense that will definitely send chills into everyone’s spine.

If you’re a big fan of thriller/mysteries and whodunnits in general, you should definitely check out this book!

Good Points
writing style, plot twists, pacing,
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)
What About Harry?
From New York Times bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson comes the...

0.0 (0)
Roary the Lion Roars Too Loud (Wee Beasties)
Help little ones learn how to use their inside voices...

0.0 (0)
It’s the year 2191 and the last known civilization hides...

0.0 (0)
The Haunted
Clean slate. That's what Hendricks Becker-O'Malley's parents said when they...

0.0 (0)
The Art of Losing
On one terrible night, 17-year-old Harley Langston’s life changes...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war....

0.0 (0)
OverRun (The OverRuled Series, book 2)
TWO LIVES BOUND BY ONE LIE. Magic...

0.0 (0)
The Step-Spinsters
Once upon a time, in a land far, far...

0.0 (0)
Glamour of Midnight
Fae bounty hunter Loftin’s life depends on him finding...

0.0 (0)
Just For Clicks
Mommy blogs are great . . . unless the...

0.0 (0)
Black Enough: Stories of Being Young and Black in America
Edited by National Book Award finalist Ibi Zoboi, and...

0.0 (0)
i am Elephant, i am Butterfly
When sixteen-year-old Simone Wheeler is accepted into the elite Camp...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Fairest Son

"A well-written and unique take on an old tale. The Story: The prince of the Seelie court is the..."
EVERY BOY IS A BOOK

"I loved this story so much I didn’t want to stop reading... I wish this book never ended! It’s such..."
EVERY BOY IS A BOOK

"Every Boy is a Book is the first title I've devoured and loved in 2019. Awesome is not a big..."
Dragon's Awakening

"When Kaylee goes on a date and the guy tries to make a move on her, she accidentally calls on..."
Meet Me There

" A fun, sweet romance. The Story: In Meet Me There follows Ashlyn and Luke, two people who couldn't..."
Meet Me There

"'Meet Me There' by Judy Corry follows main characters Luke and Ashlyn. They don't get along too well, especially since..."
The Fontre (Chronicles of Lashai Book 2)

"Format: Paperback As a mother of three young children it is very hard to find time to read. This is..."
Reactive: A YA Dystopian Romance (The Elite Trials Book 1)

"The story: Lune Tatum, the adoptive daughter of this dystopian world’s Supreme Elite, wants out. Out of the walled..."

"I loved it! I'm so delighted to have gotten to read the 2nd book in this series! If you love..."

"I was hooked from the beginning and it had my attention all the way through. Great book! "

"This is like no other YA I have ever read. You have Gods, Demigods, a game, and high school. Couldn't..."

"The gods know that no one plays games better than teens. R. Caine High School combines gods, games with a..."
The Secret Lives of Princesses

"THE SECRET LIVES OF PRINCESSES brings elements of Aladdin (one of my favorite fairy tales) into today's society. Jasmine has..."

"Reading for the next book! Got me guessing. Page turner just went to fast. I couldnt put it down. If..."
Zero Sum Game - Book 2 of the Sid Rubin Silicon Alley Adventures

""I crack my knuckles and shake out my fingers. To quote The Grey, 'Once more into the fray.'" Sidonie..."

"As if High School was not nightmareish enough, now let's put you in a game. No you do not get..."
The Namarielle (Chronicles of Lashai Book 1)

"I love the budding love story mixed in with the evil that is happening around them, it gives the readers..."

"If Victoria Danann writes it; I'll read it! She's so talented at world building and this is no exception..."

"But and read in one sitting - totally possible and highly probable!"
The Step-Spinsters

"You think you know the story of Cinderella and her evil step sisters but you don’t know the whole story...."