City of Dust Featured
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: October 23, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A thrilling follow up to Book of Fire

City of Dust is the follow up to Book of Fire which for me was the perfect blend of history, mythology and science all set in a vividly imaginative dystopian setting. I originally thought that City of Dust would take place immediately after the catastrophic and emotionally crippling ending of Book of Fire…. oh no, Kenney has quite rightly mixed up the timeline so months and months have passed since the ending.

However that meant I was missing one of my favourite characters for a little while, woe is me! This added just another layer of love and anticipation to the story, you get to catch up with characters to see how they're faring and all the while yearning for the later chapters.

Talia was such an incredible character, I already liked her in Book of Fire but her character arc was brilliant and her personal growth was astounding. I loved how she battled with her trauma of being Under the Dome and that even though she was now free her capture continued to affect her every day life. Talia was the real driving point of the entire book, she was able to face her demons but what I loved is that she’s still flawed and will still continue to grow in order to help herself and her people.

Friendship and it’s many forms played a big role in this book which I absolutely adored. I was thrilled that Talia’s twin, Eli has lots more page time and we got to see a lot more of Talia and Eli interact as siblings. Eli for me is such an important part of the book, I love his relationship with animals and I also love how Kenney portray’s him as a deaf main character. And yes his he a main character, while I sincerely feel that this is a much needed representation what I applaud Kenney on is not only her inclusion of a deaf character but having a deaf character in the thick of the plot, in with the action, near death experiences the lot and not some left behind character that is only included for diversity’s sake. Also Eli is just an all around sweetheart, seriously what’s not to love?

So after all those months of Talia trying to get back to normal life with her brother Eli and her let’s say boyfriend Max who again gets more page time again, just what has happened Under the Dome and more importantly Where is the hell is August? Under the Dome has quite literally gone to hell, the terrible mix of terrifying villains and genetic modifications and experimentations are back at it again providing a chilling sense of doom. All the while my sweet August is cast as the villain who has turned his back on his people in order to gain power and is missing during a large part of the book; leaving you questioning his actual motivations however I didn’t give up hope. And when he finally did return it was with deadly discoveries which changed everything…. Yes all this came at the end of the book *shakes fists at sky*

It’s quite clear that I literally cannot wait to get my hands on book three. I simply need to know what happens next, I refuse to think of the wait. City of Dust clearly surpasses it’s predecessor. Kenney has upped the anti and raised the stakes, the action never stopped and the adventure was thrilling.. although I gotta love the angst and tension of a ship I am adamant will sail! Again, Kenney wonderfully weaves mythology, history and science together creating a thrilling and gripping read filled with myths and monsters.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
Raised among the ruins of a conquered mountain nation, Maren...

0.0 (0)
The Virtue of Sin
Miriam lives in New Jerusalem, a haven in the desert...

0.0 (0)
Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)
Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)
Dreamland
In his sleep, Louie starts visiting a magical world where...

0.0 (0)
Me, Shakespeare and the Anti-Love Club
Heartbroken and spurned Kassidy starts an Anti-Love Club in response...

0.0 (0)
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
Sacrifice all you have to survive. ...

0.0 (0)
NewBookCover.jpg
The Akakies, a peaceful, technologically advanced alien species known as...

5.0 (1)
A new, revised edition of Edward Willett’s multi-award-winning young adult...

0.0 (0)
Love at First Fight
Band Geek vs Quarterback... One humiliating photo, a stupid...

0.0 (0)
Ellie Quinn has spent most of her sixteen years behind...

0.0 (0)
King Geek vs the Cheerleader Julia Farrow...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

No Place Like Here

"NO PLACE LIKE HERE is an engaging and summery YA contemporary that emphasizes healing and friendship. Ashlyn is at the..."
The Dark Beneath the Ice

"THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is a stunningly written YA horror that follows Marianne as she starts losing time, sees..."
Overturned

"Top 3 reasons you need to read Overturned by Lamar Giles (and read the rest of his books while you're..."
We Contain Multitudes

"WE CONTAIN MULTITUDES is an epistolary fiction/YA contemporary that will stick with me for a long time. Told in letters..."
The Voice in my Head

"THE VOICE IN MY HEAD begins with Indigo standing on a building, praying to God for her sister to live..."
No Place Like Here

"NO PLACE LIKE HERE by Christina June is a YA contemporary novel set in the Pennsylvania wilderness. Ashlyn, an admittedly..."
Quarantine: A Love Story

"QUARANTINE is told in alternating perspectives between two teens, Oliver and Flora. They were each in the Dominican Republic for..."
Tin Heart

"TIN HEART by Shivaun Plozza is a YA contemporary novel that follows Marlowe Jensen after she receives a heart transplant...."
Pretend She's Here

"Since they were little, Lizzie Porter and Emily Lonergan were inseparable and best friends. Now Emily is almost sixteen-years-old, and..."
Tell Me Everything

"TELL ME EVERYTHING follows Ivy, beginning the summer before her sophomore year. Ivy’s parents are ecologists, and her passion for..."
To All The Boys I've Loved Before

"This is one of the very few times I will ever say this but here we go.... I preferred the..."
The Lovely and the Lost

"THE LOVELY AND THE LOST follows Kira, a girl who was once found by search and rescue (SAR) and who..."
Happy Messy Scary Love

"HAPPY MESSY SCARY LOVE follows Olivia aka Carrie from her Reddit username over the summer. Olivia is a horror movie..."
Nick and June Were Here

"Shalanda Stanley's DROWNING IS INEVITABLE is one of my top underappreciated books, so I was thrilled to receive a copy..."
This Is Not a Love Scene: A Novel

"THIS IS NOT A LOVE SCENE follows Maeve, who lives her life in a wheelchair due to a form of..."
On Thin Ice (Juniper Falls, #3)

"ON THIN ICE is a sweet YA contemporary romance that follows Brooke and Jake in alternating chapters/points-of-view. Brooke is new..."
Belly Up

"When Serendipity "Sara" Rodriguez sees her ex with his new girlfriend, she finds herself eager and ready to have fun..."
There's Something About Sweetie

"Sandhya Menon's backlist is full of romantic, heartfelt stories, and THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE is no exception. Sweetie Nair is..."
Bright Burning Stars

"BRIGHT BURNING STARS is surprisingly dark and twisty, following two young ballet dancers in their final year at Nanterre in..."
Amelia Westlake Was Never Here

"AMELIA WESTLAKE WAS NEVER HERE is a clever and fun YA contemporary with hints of romantic comedy. Will Everhart is..."