Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: October 09, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Going Places

GOING PLACES by Kathryn Berla is a coming-of-age novel that follows Hudson Wheeler through his senior year of high school. He only needs two classes to graduate, so he has plenty of free time to chase the edgy, art girl, run his two businesses, and start his own graphic novel. His life is unconventional, but then again, it’s been that way since his dad died in Iraq.

When his dad passed, Hudson thought his opportunity to be someone important did too. Instead of fighting that notion, he developed firm, nontraditional plans for the future that go unchallenged until he meets Mr. Pirkle, the old recluse, and Fritzy, the athletic girl who could kick his butt. With their help, Hudson begins to reexamine who he could be and starts to realize his full potential. He discovers there’s more than just hope for himself. He is indeed going places.

This book fully exceeded my expectations. After reading the jacket copy, I was prepared for a bland, standard, run-of-the-mill story, but what I got instead was a colorful and vibrant slice of life. GOING PLACES is funny, brash, heartfelt, mysterious, gripping, poignant, and human. It is everything you would want from a tale about growing up, and then some. I spent most of the novel laughing out loud and finished it in tears. I felt every emotion on the spectrum, mainly because the characters mirrored real people so exquisitely.

There were multiples times that I was surprised by a character’s behavior, not because it wasn’t what someone would actually do in the real world, but because it wasn’t what authors would typically allow their characters to do in the book world. Kathryn Berla went there without being heavy-handed. She didn’t wallow in the drama, but instead pushed her characters onward as people do to themselves in real life. She also gave Hudson strong agency, which made him likable.

Overall, GOING PLACES strings together many different plotlines seamlessly. It deals with dark and difficult themes, while also highlighting the absurdity of being a teenager. It is a delightful novel and I feel privileged to have read it.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

91HIpyhaW9L.jpg
The third book in the New York Times bestselling series...

0.0 (0)
One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)

"Wyatt has a decent life, but when his dad takes off, it dissolves into chaos. His mother doesn't function well,..."
Apex Predator (Horizon, Book 4)

" Both the members of the robotics team whose plane went down and the members of the Cub-Tones from the..."
The Phantom Bandit (Geronimo Stilton #70)

"As fall approaches, Geronimo is busy working in his newspaper office when he starts to see strange things-- his co..."
Girl At The Grave

"Valentine was only six years old when her murder was hung for murder. After the death, she's basically taken care..."
Timmy Failure: It's the End When I Say It's the End (Timmy Failure #7)

"As Christmas approaches, Timmy is ready to give up his detective business, but he has one last mission: to help..."
Field Tripped

"When the fifth graders of Liberty Falls Elementary School take there annual trip to Mink's Mystery Mansion, the children who..."
Tornado Hits!: A Branches Book (Hilde Cracks the Case #5)

"TORNADO HITS is written by real-life reporter Hilde and each story in the Hilde Cracks the Case Series are inspired..."
History's Mysteries: Freaky Phenomena: Curious Clues, Cold Cases, and Puzzles From the Past

"HISTORY'S MYSTERIES: FREAKY PHENOMENA teaches about the theories, clues and details behind occurrences that seem out of this world. The..."
The Goldfish Boy

"Twelve-year-old Matthew is reluctant to leave his house due to his fear of illness and germs, so he watches and..."
The Lying Woods

"At first The Lying Woods reads more like a contemporary fiction piece than thriller. Then all of sudden it..."
Wink Poppy Midnight

"Definitely worth the read! A fun book even though it has some creepier turns, and loved Tucholke's writing style!..."
Genuine Fraud

"Interesting, quick read. You're held a bit at a distance because of the nature of this narrator, but it's worth..."
Missing Pieces (Hello Neighbor #1)

"Nicky's family moves around a lot, and he gets tired of having to adjust to new towns, new schools, and..."
The Steeplechase Secret (Free Rein)

"Zoe and her family have moved to Bright Field Stables from California. Her mother is from the small island in..."
One of Us is Lying

"WHAT I LOVED: One of Us Is Lying presents us with a remarkably strong base for the mystery to come:..."
Antisocial

"WHAT I LOVED: I’ve always tried to be my best self online, but even I’m terrified at the idea of..."
Sadie

"WHAT I LOVED: It sounds simple when you describe the beginning of it all to someone: one dead girl, one..."
Dare You to Lie

"DARE YOU TO LIE follows Kylene Danners after her father is framed for murder. After being found guilty Ky must..."
King & Kayla and the Case of the Lost Tooth (King & Kayla #4)

"A rather quick read with a quick solve, King and Kayla told from the perspective of the dog, King, will..."
Pretty Dead Girls

""Pretty Dead Girls" was an interesting YA thriller following Penelope (Pen/Penny) in the aftermath of a death of a frenemy,..."