Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Nobody does fantasy better

Reading a Laini Taylor book is always such an experience. I fell in love with her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy but MUSE OF NIGHTMARES far exceed everything I had expected and hoped for. Writing a review for this one is going to be hard because how do you accurately explain the greatness that is Muse of Nightmares. This review will have slight spoilers so if you haven’t read Strange the Dreamer, what are you doing, and also don’t read ahead.

MUSE OF NIGHTMARES opens with two new characters, Kora and Nova who help tie the past of weep and it’s future together. What I love about Laini’s books is the way she takes all these stories and weaves them together to create this incredible world full of suffering, grief, and pain but also one filled with love, light, and healing. Muse paints this story of horrible sacrifice and the ways in which those who are left behind choose to survive. The characters while deeply flawed are also complex and get to the deepest root of what makes all of us human.

Muse of Nightmares picks up after Strange, but it takes the story to another level. It takes us back and forth from past to present until the two stories collide and you finally learn what happened to the lost city all those years ago. And here is what I love about Laini she takes two different stories, adds new characters and seamlessly ties it all together. Giving us stories that are incredibly hard to stop thinking about and characters that burrow their way into our hearts and souls. Laini, in my opinion, has always been one of the greatest storytellers I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading.

I don’t want to spoil anything either but by the end I loved Thyon and I felt for Minya. Which was surprising but also not that surprising. If anyone can get me to fall in love with a character I previously disliked it would be Laini. In my opinion, I don’t think we got enough of either character and I would love to see them in future stories. And if the ending of Muse is any indication there are more worlds and more stories and I can’t wait to see what Laini does next. Whether in this world or a different I can’t wait to see what brilliance comes out of that mind of hers.

One thing I do want to mention is trigger warnings for abuse, implied rape, death, torture, human trafficking, PTSD, child abuse.

Overall, this is the one time in my life where I wish a duology was longer. Which never happens but I have never gone into a Laini book and come out without taking a piece of her stories with me. Strange the Dreamer and Muse of Nightmares far exceeded anything I had ever thought or hoped for and I wish I could go back in time and be able to read it again for the first time. If you haven’t picked up Strange I highly highly recommend it. It’s a beautiful story that will change every piece of you.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

91HIpyhaW9L.jpg
The third book in the New York Times bestselling series...

0.0 (0)
One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Clementine for Christmas

"Josie loves Christmas, especially making memories with her dog Clementine volunteering at the children's hospital. Oscar's parents are always fighting..."
Merci Suárez Changes Gears

"Merci lives next door to her grandparents, Abuela and Lolo, and her aunt and younger twin cousins. Her father has..."
What If It's Us

"I’ve read both Becky and Adam books and What If It’s Us is a combination of the very best of..."
So Done

"Bean and Tai are neighbors in a low-income housing project and have been friends for a very long time, but..."
Everything, Everything

""Everything, Everything" follows Madeline, who lives in a bubble- she has a rare disease called SCID, which means she is..."
Eleanor & Park

""Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian..."
Sea Prayer

"This fictional picture book, inspired by the tragic death of three-year-old Alan Kurdi's tragic death on a Turkish beach, follows..."
My Father's Words

"When Fiona and Finn's father, a psychologist, is killed in a car accident, the children and their mother (who is..."
The Steeplechase Secret (Free Rein)

"Zoe and her family have moved to Bright Field Stables from California. Her mother is from the small island in..."
Everlasting Nora

"Nora and her mother have been living in her father's family mausoleum after they lost their home, and her father,..."
No Fixed Address

"Felix Knuttsen and his single mother Astrid move around a bit in Vancouver because Astrid finds it hard to keep..."
Lucky Luna

"Fifth grader Luna loves her family, but she has too many female cousins who are always hanging around. Her primas..."
The Dollar Kids

"Lowen Grover and his family have a decent life in the city, but after his best friend is shot at..."
Here to Stay

"Bijan Majidi does okay in high school-- he has a good friend, Sean, is on the basketball team, and while..."
So Done

"Bean and Tai are neighbors in a low-income housing project and have been friends for a very long time, but..."
Just Under the Clouds

"Cora's mother has struggled to keep a roof over Cora and her sister Adare's head ever since the death of..."
Revenge of the Teacher's Pets (Brewster Triplets #4)

"Darby, Dawn, and Delaney are determined that seventh grade is going to be AWESOME. However, when they get their schedules,..."
The New Kid

"This book shows the struggle to fit in the middle school social scene and a reminder that true friendship is..."
The New Kid

"Alex's best friend and constant supporter, Luke, moves away and Alex has to face the school bully T.J. without him...."
From You to Me

"Amelia is tired of being "the girl with the dead sister", since it's been three years since her sister was..."