Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Life After Tragedy

"Chandler and Golden versus the world" has been the motto of Chan and Go since they were 11. As seventeen-year-olds, they're a couple, and although they're still facing life's challenges together, there's been a distance between them ever since they became two of four survivors of a horrific bus bombing in New York City. It's been a year since that bomb killed nineteen teens, and Chan and Go are back home in the Hive, the Kentucky commune where they've grown up. Chan and Go are physically okay, but they both silently carry psychological wounds and secrets that are pulling their relationship apart.

FOUR THREE TWO ONE by Courtney Stevens chronicles Go's efforts to reclaim herself in the aftermath of the tragedy. Go is a strong character, but she seems on the verge of breaking from the strain of not dealing with what happened on Bus 21. Go would like to talk about it with Chan, with her parents, or with the other survivors, but most of those closest to her refuse. This makes Go determined to revisit the scene of the bus bombing by returning to New York for the one-year anniversary of the event. An artist (who also happens to be the EMT who took care of Go at the scene) has taken the destroyed bus and turned it into a piece of art, and he's chronicled the whole process in a reality show. That show has also led to a college fund being developed for the four survivors, and that fund has allowed Go to dream of eventually escaping the Hive and leaving Kentucky for college.

Go gathers others to travel with her to New York: a reluctant Chan, the other two survivors--both of whom have stories and secrets of their own--and Becky, a friend from school who seems to be just along for the ride but is an integral part of the group.

There is so much going on in FOUR THREE TWO ONE that it's hard to give a synopsis without writing a full book report... in short, Stevens does a great job writing about broken teens who are trying to pull themselves together while managing the difficulties, both large and small, that life brings. The road trip aspect of the book keeps things moving, and some of the minor characters like Go's grandmother help keep everything grounded and "real." There are times when there is a LOT of talking, but these characters have loads of ground to cover, so that can be forgiven.

This is a book that I would love to see made into a movie. The scenes throughout are vibrant, the main characters (and a few minor ones) are people I'd like to hang out with in the flesh, and I like the world that Stevens has built. Yes, really bad things happen, but there is plenty of good, ample amounts of hope, and room for dreams. Readers can learn a lot from Go's determination to "keep living a full life with a damaged past rather than a damaged life."

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of FOUR THREE TWO ONE in exchange for my honest review, and kudos to Courtney Stevens for another excellent book.

Good Points
Terrific storyline
Wonderful scenes
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Quinton Wyatt's summer break before high school should be nothing...

0.0 (0)
On Delicate Wings
Mia Walters is optimistic that her final high school...

0.0 (0)
Only A Breath Apart
Bestselling author Katie McGarry’s trademark wrong-side-of-the-tracks romance is given...

0.0 (0)
The world is quite the different place after the loss...

5.0 (1)
Pretty in Punxsutawney
A Groundhog Day meets Pretty in Pink mashup from...

4.7 (1)
Through Fathoms Dark and Deep
What’s a pirate without her crew? Abandoned on an...

0.0 (0)
99 Lies (100 Hours, #2)
Getting kidnapped over spring break was definitely memorable. But...

0.0 (0)
Ray Vs the Meaning of Life
Grandma’s Last Will and Testament names Ray to inherit...

0.0 (0)
51uDXTa8hxL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Celebrate the weird, wonderful, and the downright bizarre in this...

0.0 (0)
The Next to Last Mistake
Tess Goodwin's life in rural Iowa is sheltered and uncomplicated....

0.0 (0)
Emerge: The Captive: (Book 3)
A moment of distraction has cost him his freedom...

5.0 (1)
Awakening of Fire (Dragon Born, #1)
Dragons are just legends from the past... Felicia’s life...

0.0 (0)
The Penderwicks at Last
The finale you've all been waiting for: The Penderwicks...

0.0 (0)
Over Raging Tides
The pirate crew of the Lady Luck lives by...

0.0 (0)
Positively Izzy
Award-winning comics creator and author of the bestselling Invisible...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

"Reading for the next book! Got me guessing. Page turner just went to fast. I couldnt put it down. If..."
Zero Sum Game - Book 2 of the Sid Rubin Silicon Alley Adventures

""I crack my knuckles and shake out my fingers. To quote The Grey, 'Once more into the fray.'" Sidonie..."

"As if High School was not nightmareish enough, now let's put you in a game. No you do not get..."
The Namarielle (Chronicles of Lashai Book 1)

"I love the budding love story mixed in with the evil that is happening around them, it gives the readers..."

"If Victoria Danann writes it; I'll read it! She's so talented at world building and this is no exception..."

"But and read in one sitting - totally possible and highly probable!"
The Step-Spinsters

"You think you know the story of Cinderella and her evil step sisters but you don’t know the whole story...."

"Wonderful story about the Gods playing games with their unsuspecting children's lives. Definitely worth reading."

"Victoria's R. Caine series made me long to return to high school. Seriously! Nothing like meddling gods with too much..."

"This is an amazing debut novel from Jillian E. Martyn. The book is unique in where you don't just have..."

"When the Gods get bored they play games. What happens is yet to be seen. "

"You can tell this author loves what she does! Fantastic details, characters are well developed, all around a phenomenal read!..."

"It’s been quite some time since I’ve read a YA series that kept my attention & had me wanting more..."

"Victoria Danann has another hit series! Gods from diverse cultures strip their children (players) of their memories and withhold the..."

"This is a really good story and that 1-3 are in it is great from a young person to an..."
Glamour of Midnight

"Karis has been blind for as long as she can remember. However, when she sees through the smoke that stands..."
Who Are You Calling Weird?

"This book is all kinds of wonderful. Actually, everything about it is pretty much spot on – starting with the..."
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)

""Forest of a Thousand Lanterns" was a slow-building and dark YA fantasy. Xifeng has been raised by her cruel aunt..."

"This was such a fun change from the normal Victoria books! I really felt like I was back roaming the..."

"I never like writing to much info in a review as I don’t want to give away things in the..."