Review Detail

Riding Chance Featured
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A story of hope, redemption and second chances!

It seems repetitive to mention the need for books like these when I was a youth--but I can still see this same need for African American young adults today--a story that features an African American main character not lost in tragedy or highlighted in negative stereotypes associated with blackness--or being black.

Riding Chance is a positive story of hope with a core of realism and black boy joy.

Riding horses in the African American community is synonymous with whiteness. For some, it's not something that seems possible--or even "black."

The aspect of a riding program for 'troubled youth, for lack of a better word, is the most beautiful part of the story.

It shows young black children and young adults that nothing is outside the realm of possibility. While this seems a little heavy to put on such a short mild-mannered novel--these are the kinds of things that can be picked up from someone who's mind might not be as open to the possibilities they cannot see. This is the hope they wouldn't see in their day-to-day lives.

Despite that, the novel felt very fluid--easy to read and devour. It's rather short but felt very comfortable to read like sitting with an old friend.

My single complaint was the lack of emotional connection outside of the people and the horses. Some of the relationships lacked emotional depth.

The author could've dug a little deeper in the relationships--not limited to the possible romantic connection between the MC and Alisha.

It also would have been nice to see more of the horse camp. It would have given the story a more lush--and engaging feel.

This is not to be overly critical but observant--as mentioned I rather enjoyed the story.

A realistic novel with a not so unique backstory that will sit well with young readers--that will embolden them to dream bigger.

Good Points
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account